Sponsored

Forbes R2 or R1 Refresh Leak?

AMaier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Ioniq 5, MX-5 ND
I spotted this interior shot for about 1/3rd of a second in the new Forbes video. The dash and mirror seem to be different than current R1 models. Could this be a shot of an R2 or R1 refresh that maybe was included by mistake?

Update: This appears to be an old R1 prototype pre-launch, not a new refresh.

Rivian R1T R1S Forbes R2 or R1 Refresh Leak? 1000003977
Sponsored

Last edited:

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
I'd guess part of the R1 cost-cutting through simplification. Wish they'd add a glove box though, it's a massive vehicle and they couldn't squeeze in a glove box?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I spotted this interior shot for about 1/3rd of a second in the new Forbes video. The dash and mirror seem to be different than current R1 models. Could this be a shot of an R2 or R1 refresh that maybe was included by mistake?
1000003977.jpg
Original prototype me thinks.
Rivian R1T R1S Forbes R2 or R1 Refresh Leak? the-2020-rivian-r1t--3

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

yeah, R1 prototype interior.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Totally prototype. There were beauty shots in the video that had really early video of pre-production R1Ts in them. You'll be able to tell based on the hooks located on the bash plate and with the LIDAR integration. Makes sense that they would use footage from an early interior as well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Here's a bridge gap between prototype and production. This was on an early test mule (maybe). Tesla would call it "RC".

Rivian R1T R1S Forbes R2 or R1 Refresh Leak? 20230820_104736

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I really don't think the R2 will have fancy parts like wood-trims. It will be very minimal to keep the $7500 for the general public.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I really don't think the R2 will have fancy parts like wood-trims. It will be very minimal to keep the $7500 for the general public.
Wood trim isn't that fancy. You just think it is. Wood is a renewable. It's a crop. It can be planted and harvested over and over. It's probably cheaper and less resource intensive than recycled plastic or "vegan leather" (which is just a fancy word for good old vinyl). Any premium associated with wood is marketing... born from days where luxury cars had master craftsman hand-pick and hand-hone wood. Robots can do that work today and they have been. To lower cost, Rivian can do stuff like bamboo veneer over plastic forms. Bamboo grows like weed and is drought tolerant. It has consumer impression of being premium and eco-conscious. Any existing bamboo products being sold today at a premium is because of marketing and profit. Not because the material is expensive, hard to get or work with.
Sponsored

Last edited: