Sponsored

Does the R2 have a spare tire?

daraink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Honda CRV
Any insight if the R2 will have the option for a spare tire? Hopefully it is a full spare tire.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

From the photos I have seen, doesn't look like there is room under the false floor for a full size spare, and I would be surprised if even a compact spare fit.

Augsburg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands (R2 reservation)
Occupation
Retired
There must be a spare tire - at least a compact spare. For us, it is a dealbreaker. This is an adventure vehicle. You take a car like this into remote areas with no cell service. We've had two friends/family that have had their EV get a flat that resulted in too big a "hole" in the tire for the repair kit to handle. That resulted in a lengthy wait for a flatbed tow. It seems like everything has been "skinny-ed" down to weigh less on vehicles these days and tires are not as sturdy as they used to be. I sure hope Rivian comes up with a compact spare under the rear load floor.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

One of the launch-event videos showed the rear floor lid lifted up - no room for even a compact spare. So no, just a can of fix-a-flat in the R2 and R3.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

There must be a spare tire - at least a compact spare. For us, it is a dealbreaker. This is an adventure vehicle. You take a car like this into remote areas with no cell service. We've had two friends/family that have had their EV get a flat that resulted in too big a "hole" in the tire for the repair kit to handle. That resulted in a lengthy wait for a flatbed tow. It seems like everything has been "skinny-ed" down to weigh less on vehicles these days and tires are not as sturdy as they used to be. I sure hope Rivian comes up with a compact spare under the rear load floor.
If it's that important, can you can adjust? Roof rack. hitch mount. Lay it flat in the trunk and pack around it. This is what people with the R1S are doing. I know it's not ideal, but I'm not seeing dealbreaker.

Sponsored

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
R1's are adventure vehicles. R2 will be for different adventures. Zero room for a spare of any type.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

If it's that important, can you can adjust? Roof rack. hitch mount. Lay it flat in the trunk and pack around it. This is what people with the R1S are doing. I know it's not ideal, but I'm not seeing dealbreaker.
Complete dealbreaker and why I bought an R1T instead of an R1S.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Complete dealbreaker and why I bought an R1T instead of an R1S.
R2 is intended for a different demographic. Although I’ll be adding it along side my R1S as a second car.

Augsburg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Sorry, but the answer is no. In my book that would be a foolish and naive compromise to accept. This would not be our first EV. EV's are heavy vehicles putting a lot of stress on the tires. A lot more stress than tires on ICE vehicles see. I'd kick myself for ever if I agreed to a tire sitting in the rear cargo area. It's not even safe in a crash unless it is strapped down. Otherwise you have the potential for a 75 pound wheel flying forward in the car. By the time you strap it down there is not much usable cargo area left. I use my rear hitch for a bike rack, so using it for a tire mount would not work. Placing it on the roof would mean wrestling a 75 lb. tire on and off the roof. For me, that's a no go. Plus, a spare tire needs a jack and lug wrench, etc. If Rivian cannot figure out, space for a compact spare under the rear load floor, then I would need to look for another EV.

Sponsored

Augsburg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
R1's are adventure vehicles. R2 will be for different adventures. Zero room for a spare of any type.
I agree the R1's are marketed as an adventure vehicle. For me, they are too big, unwieldy and fancy for that. I have to think 90% of R1's sold will fulfill the role of a 1990's Dodge Caravan, making trips to Costco, and ferrying the kids to soccer and Little League practice.

Ford figured out how to place a full-size spare tire under the load floor of our little '23 Bronco Sport, which is a foot shorter in overall length compared to the R2. Rivian certainly can figure out: 1) a spare tire is essential for someone driving around the West where cell service can be sparse; and 2) how to shoehorn a compact spare into the back.

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

the biggest mistake Rivian has made is NOT having a full size spare in the R1S Adventure vehicle!!! Who needs the 3rd row of seats but it was an option when I ordered my R1S back in 2020. Then it was forced on me instead of having a full size spare where the 3rd row is..Hopfelyy they dont make the same mistake on the R@

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I list the lack of a spare as a big miss.

Maybe it's not a predominant reason, but this type of design decision is a component of why EV ownership is so heavily concentrated in urban areas.

The consequences of an unpatchable flat are pretty small in a big city where you're ~20 minutes from a tow truck.

The consequences of an unpatchable flat are very different if you live ~3 hours from a tow and have spotty cell phone service.

Every person's threshold of unacceptable risk is different here. But there's a lot of America that is closer to the second scenario than the first.

Mike_R2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Retired + part-time government
GM began testing Michelin's airless tires back in 2021 on Bolt EVs and the goal was for commercial availability to begin by end of 2024, so hopefully the lack of a spare tire becomes less of an issue as availability ramps up.

Delivery Purgatory

First Name
Taran
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
R1S LE/ECG/BM/22/UBP
Occupation
Selfmade
Don't see space under false floor based on multiple videos, I would personally give up space if it can be safely bolted into the frunk.

Personally I use my frunk for tucking the compressor, tire seal, first aid, and charger in my R1S this way I can use the full bottom and top trunk daily for our needs since its a PITA to raise the third row back up
Sponsored