From a former Jeep and current Bronco owner

Mike777

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco, Hyundai Santa Fe
I recently joined the forum, but I have been a constant lurker curious as to what Rivian has been doing. I've always been into lifestyle vehicles as I love to go spend time outdoors including camping/off-roading. Being a Bronco owner, I have taken my vehicle on numerous trips across the country and been on multiple trails.

Today, I finally got my chance to park right next to a green R1T. I from time to time got to see one on the road but never up close and in person. I'll be honest I was blown away by the craftsmanship and how well it looked. Part of me was always skeptical, but always intrigued by it. It was almost as tall as my Sasquatch Bronco with the All-Terrain Package but definitely held its own in looks and stoutness.

I know most of this has been said before, but there are ICE owners out there that are intrigued in EV's just waiting for the right moment to purchase one. What's been stopping me is a few things. Yes, I have been following Rivian a very long time and done research so im not just saying these things lightly.

1. The price tag 80k is steep for a vehicle. If Rivian can get it down to 60k base model to 80k fully loaded, you would see many people hop on board. I'm hoping to see more price parity between ICE and EV prices in the coming years for the mid size truck segment. Why not have different packages for the R1T like base, overland, luxury etc. to reduce price and help customize? No tax credits also make it difficult because of the current cost being above 80k.
2. I truly hope they add support for a front winch and true rear/front lockers not just the electronic variation of it.
3. If GM, RAM, and I'm sure Ford after the refresh of the lightning can get 400-450 miles for a full-size truck, Rivian needs to step it up here. Yes, I do understand the range loss especially highway vs stated EPA. I live in Texas, and it takes at the minimum 3 hours to get to another city in my vehicle.

Aside from those concerns, the Rivian is now officially (hopefully) going to be my next vehicle after 2025-2026 when the new NACS port is built in natively. I know, I know the adapter!

I wish I had included a side by side with the Rivian, but my Bronco is parked right next to it.

Rivian R1T R1S From a former Jeep and current Bronco owner IMG_4423

Rivian R1T R1S From a former Jeep and current Bronco owner IMG_4232
Sponsored

Last edited:

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Why do people assign arbitrary value to a car, without driving it or knowing more about it?

“Oh if a Ferrari were $60k, I would definitely buy one, but at $300K, it’s just a bit expensive. Hopefully they’ll lower the price on a new Ferrari to $60k”

Rivian R1T is most definitely worth at least $80k new. IMO, it’s easily worth $90k+.

R2 series will be cheaper in the $40-60k range. But, saying an R1 should be cheaper (just because it might fit one’s budget) is nonsense/arbitrary

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Dual motor LFP will sell like hot cakes. Even better if it qualifies for the full $7,500 credit at some point.

The R2 is made from the ground up to be economical for the consumer and for Rivian plus take advantage of tax credits.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
The Rivian you're seeing here doesn't just have the off road capability of your Bronco but it has the acceleration of a super car. Not only that the Bronco Raptor is in the 90K range, the Rivian is better than that IMO.

OP
OP

Mike777

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why do people assign arbitrary value to a car, without driving it or knowing more about it?

“Oh if a Ferrari were $60k, I would definitely buy one, but at $300K, it’s just a bit expensive. Hopefully they’ll lower the price on a new Ferrari to $60k”

Rivian R1T is most definitely worth at least $80k new. IMO, it’s easily worth $90k+.

R2 series will be cheaper in the $40-60k range. But, saying an R1 should be cheaper (just because it might fit one’s budget) is nonsense
Despite what you might think I have actually done plenty of research on the Rivian. I don't need to be sold on an EV. I want an EV, but Rivian does need to do better in this department. They were much closer to where the market needed them to be before the huge price hike. If you read what I wrote, I stated they needed more packages instead of just providing one luxury trim in the R1T with an All-Terrain Package.

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Despite what you might think I have actually done plenty of research on the Rivian. I don't need to be sold on an EV. I want an EV, but Rivian does need to do better in this department. They were much closer to where the market needed them to be before the huge price hike. If you read what I wrote, I stated they needed more packages instead of just providing one luxury trim in the R1T with an All-Terrain Package.
You’ll find that many R1T owners strongly disagree with your assessment. Anyway, it’s a moot point. R1T will never be that cheap, and it doesn’t have to be.

OP
OP

Mike777

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You’ll find that many R1T owners strongly disagree with your assessment. Anyway, it’s a moot point. R1T will never be that cheap, and it doesn’t have to be.
That's totally fair and I don't mind the debate. I'm looking forward to seeing what the R2T will look like and the features it provides.

OP
OP

Mike777

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Rivian you're seeing here doesn't just have the off road capability of your Bronco but it has the acceleration of a super car. Not only that the Bronco Raptor is in the 90K range, the Rivian is better than that IMO.
I have to disagree with your assessment here because I've watched probably way more videos and reviews on the R1T than I should. Even Kyle Connor from out of spec has mentioned it needs lockers on the vehicle because the electronic system can't compare. Now, I may be wrong because I have never driven one off road. I'm going off what EV reviewers are saying about it.

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I recently joined the forum, but I have been a constant lurker curious as to what Rivian has been doing. I've always been into lifestyle vehicles as I love to go spend time outdoors including camping/off-roading. Being a Bronco owner, I have taken my vehicle on numerous trips across the country and been on multiple trails.

Today, I finally got my chance to park right next to a green R1T. I from time to time got to see one on the road but never up close and in person. I'll be honest I was blown away by the craftsmanship and how well it looked. Part of me was always skeptical, but always intrigued by it. It was almost as tall as my Sasquatch Bronco with the All-Terrain Package but definitely held its own in looks and stoutness.

I know most of this has been said before, but there are ICE owners out there that are intrigued in EV's just waiting for the right moment to purchase one. What's been stopping me is a few things.

1. The price tag 80k is steep for a vehicle. If Rivian can get it down to 60k base model to 80k fully loaded, you would see many people hop on board. I'm hoping to see more price parity between ICE and EV prices in the coming years for the mid size truck segment. No tax credits also make it difficult because of the current cost being above 80k.
2. I truly hope they add support for a front winch and true rear/front lockers not just the electronic variation of it. It is absolutely necessary on the tougher trails.
3. If GM, RAM, and I'm sure Ford after the refresh of the lightning can get 400-450 miles for a full size truck, Rivian needs to step it up here. I live in Texas and it takes at the minimum 3 hours to get to another city in my vehicle.

Aside from those concerns, the Rivian is now officially (hopefully) going to be my next vehicle after 2025-2026 when the new NACS port is built in natively. I know, I know the adapter! Convenience is everything in a situation like this.

I wish I had included a side by side with the Rivian, but my Bronco is parked right next to it.

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg
I have both, well wife has the Bronco. Great vehicles for their purposes. Love them both, Rivian quality is way ahead of Ford, which is amazing to me.

Mine were only about $6k different in final price due to early reservation and tax credit. Already made up difference in electrons vs premium unleaded at 18 mpg.

Not sure I trust air suspension for similar off-road expeditions. Maybe I will be proven wrong.

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Also, the fact you also get a top 10 fastest to 80 in production factory vehicle is amazing. It handles crazy for a truck and then does truck duties, most can’t comprehend until you own one. At what I’m into it for I definitely “stole” it.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I have to disagree with your assessment here because I've watched probably way more videos and reviews on the R1T than I should. Even Kyle Connor from out of spec has mentioned it needs lockers on the vehicle because the electronic system can't compare. Now, I may be wrong, but I have never driven one off road. I'm going off what EV reviewers are saying about it.
You've read a lot of reviews and seen a lot of videos, and I've had a Rivian since September. There are plenty of videos of Rivian doing some pretty serious off roading and there are some pretty experienced off roaders in here who seem to like it. Not to mention it could beat the Bronco Raptor at a light while pulling a Bronco Raptor on a trailer. At least it beat a F-150 Raptor pulling a GMC Syclone, which also beat the F150 Raptor. So even if you wanted to quibble on the off road capabilities it's not even in the same ballpark on road which in my book makes it at least equal to that 90+K dollar SUV.

OP
OP

Mike777

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You've read a lot of reviews and seen a lot of videos, and I've had a Rivian since September. There are plenty of videos of Rivian doing some pretty serious off roading and there are some pretty experienced off roaders in here who seem to like it. Not to mention it could beat the Bronco Raptor at a light while pulling a Bronco Raptor on a trailer. At least it beat a F-150 Raptor pulling a GMC Syclone, which also beat the F150 Raptor. So even if you wanted to quibble on the off road capabilities it's not even in the same ballpark on road which in my book makes it at least equal to that 90+K dollar SUV.
I'm not attempting to quibble, just going off of what I read but I appreciate the feedback. I'll have to look more into it. I truly am considering purchasing one once NACS is in.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things

Any way you slice it this is pretty impressive. The Ram TRX is 85-90K and the Rivian blows its doors off. It can do that on its way to doing this.

I'm not an off road guy, but any stock truck that can do this is capable enough off road IMO.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

R2 series will be cheaper in the $40-60k range. But, saying an R1 should be cheaper (just because it might fit one’s budget) is nonsense/arbitrary
I also enjoy "here's a bunch of ways I, as someone who just formed an opinion about this vehicle, think should be changed about it" with zero research showing that some points are valid points that *MANY* people have brought up, and others are explained.

Yeah, R1T is easily worth the price.

The upcoming Silverado EV with its 400-mile-range battery pack is going to be well over $105,000. The 400-mile R1T is a comparative steal at $90,000.

OP
OP

Mike777

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I also enjoy "here's a bunch of ways I, as someone who just formed an opinion about this vehicle, think should be changed about it" with zero research showing that some points are valid points that *MANY* people have brought up, and others are explained.

Yeah, R1T is easily worth the price.

The upcoming Silverado EV with its 400-mile-range battery pack is going to be well over $105,000. The 400-mile R1T is a comparative steal at $90,000.
I came here with good intentions and I'm getting blown up for one comment. Also, very short sited on the no research. I've been keeping up with all things EV and very much in tune with Rivian and the things they are doing. All I stated was that to get more people on board there needs to be more price parity between EV's and ICE.
Sponsored