From a former Jeep and current Bronco owner

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
Traded my 2DR Bronco FE for my R1T. I loved my Bronco until I drove an R1T. They are not even comparable.

Rivian R1T R1S From a former Jeep and current Bronco owner 7sch2m
Sponsored

computertom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco Raptor, '80 911 SC
R1T 10K
@ 250miles/charge = 40 charges, 120kw @ .25C/kwh=$3per charge
$30 x 40 charges (assuming highest tier kw charge rate) = $1200

Braptor 10K
10K /15mpg = 667gallons @ $4.5 gallon (less than yearly average in Boston for premium) = $3000

I just updated my actual data which does make this worse, but no where near your example data. Let's dive in.

Rivian - actual efficiency 1.7miles/kW. Crazy driver? Maybe. Horribly wasteful phantom drain every day, yes and electricity costing $0.27 here with no break for time of day charging. Wish I had solar already ...

Bronco Raptor - gas cost over the last 22 fuel logs (total life ownership) is $3.40 per gallon. It doesn't call for or need 91+ (per the manual) except for high heat, towing, or racing. I'm doing none of those things.

Actual math for real driving of real trucks by me extrapolated out to 10K miles for easy yearly cost comparison though I didn't hit 10K for each this year.

Rivian at 1.7 (actual) = $1,588 for 10K.
Raptor @ 15.2mpg (actual) = $2,237 for 10K plus $120 for the two synthetic oil changes in my garage comes in at total of $2,357 or $769 more. So out of the six hundreds with some adjustments for real data, but not by much. Again, not saying the R1T isn't cheaper, it is, and more convenient, I just thought it would be MORE in real life for me. It wasn't. I love data, and I crushed REAL data here.

But what If we bump the Rivian up to 2.0 which would be awesome and what I hope we see with the R1S we have on order...

That would put us at around $1,350 total in electricity and $1,007 cheaper than the Raptor for 10K miles - and no exhaust, which I love.

So there you have it, real data from this guy. Take it with a grain of salt, but I do track all the things for all my cars, always. I think I have a problem ...

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I recently joined the forum, but I have been a constant lurker curious as to what Rivian has been doing. I've always been into lifestyle vehicles as I love to go spend time outdoors including camping/off-roading. Being a Bronco owner, I have taken my vehicle on numerous trips across the country and been on multiple trails.

Today, I finally got my chance to park right next to a green R1T. I from time to time got to see one on the road but never up close and in person. I'll be honest I was blown away by the craftsmanship and how well it looked. Part of me was always skeptical, but always intrigued by it. It was almost as tall as my Sasquatch Bronco with the All-Terrain Package but definitely held its own in looks and stoutness.

I know most of this has been said before, but there are ICE owners out there that are intrigued in EV's just waiting for the right moment to purchase one. What's been stopping me is a few things. Yes, I have been following Rivian a very long time and done research so im not just saying these things lightly.

1. The price tag 80k is steep for a vehicle. If Rivian can get it down to 60k base model to 80k fully loaded, you would see many people hop on board. I'm hoping to see more price parity between ICE and EV prices in the coming years for the mid size truck segment. Why not have different packages for the R1T like base, overland, luxury etc. to reduce price and help customize? No tax credits also make it difficult because of the current cost being above 80k.
2. I truly hope they add support for a front winch and true rear/front lockers not just the electronic variation of it.
3. If GM, RAM, and I'm sure Ford after the refresh of the lightning can get 400-450 miles for a full-size truck, Rivian needs to step it up here. Yes, I do understand the range loss especially highway vs stated EPA. I live in Texas, and it takes at the minimum 3 hours to get to another city in my vehicle.

Aside from those concerns, the Rivian is now officially (hopefully) going to be my next vehicle after 2025-2026 when the new NACS port is built in natively. I know, I know the adapter!

I wish I had included a side by side with the Rivian, but my Bronco is parked right next to it.

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg
Nice Bronco, I had a 74 Bronco Ranger way back.
I was so done with spending $100's of K on fuel & various drivetrain expenses over the years I jumped ship.

I would tend to agree with you to an extent regarding cost but this is a premium vehicle that has no real competition and is a fraction of the cost to operate compared to ICE. I however do not think an adventure vehicle needs to be a luxury vehicle so there should be room for some cost efficiencies (dual motor, less power if that somehow costs less, interior, solid roof, simpler venting, manual hood/hatch)
1. I think the price is fair for what you get especially for early reservation holders.
I did order the Explore package to save cost but unfortunately that was axed in favour of production efficiency or so they said. I would agree that it would be nice to have a more affordable stripped down version, but currently they have more than enough demand for higher margin versions.
2. A winch option would be cool with improved lockers & maybe some articulation.
3. I believe Rivian did step it up as far as range (current leader in segment) not overstating as some others have. I have been pretty happy with the range & ability of mine even towing. It tows significantly better than my 5.7 Tundra did (short of range, which is why I have extended on order).
The upcoming Silverado is a pig with a very impractical payload while towing.
The extended range R1 is going to have 400 mile range FWIW.
I can't see 3 hours in the relatively flat Texas being a problem for the current R1 battery especially in conserve.

Last edited:

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Rivian - actual efficiency 1.7miles/kW. Crazy driver? Maybe.
All things being equal I guess its a fair cost comparison.
1.7 is not great but I am only averaging about 1.9 with hills/mountains & some towing on 20", probably lower average speed.

Last edited:

Fade5G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Bronco, 23 Rivian R1T
Clubs

I recently joined the forum, but I have been a constant lurker curious as to what Rivian has been doing. I've always been into lifestyle vehicles as I love to go spend time outdoors including camping/off-roading. Being a Bronco owner, I have taken my vehicle on numerous trips across the country and been on multiple trails.

Today, I finally got my chance to park right next to a green R1T. I from time to time got to see one on the road but never up close and in person. I'll be honest I was blown away by the craftsmanship and how well it looked. Part of me was always skeptical, but always intrigued by it. It was almost as tall as my Sasquatch Bronco with the All-Terrain Package but definitely held its own in looks and stoutness.

I know most of this has been said before, but there are ICE owners out there that are intrigued in EV's just waiting for the right moment to purchase one. What's been stopping me is a few things. Yes, I have been following Rivian a very long time and done research so im not just saying these things lightly.

1. The price tag 80k is steep for a vehicle. If Rivian can get it down to 60k base model to 80k fully loaded, you would see many people hop on board. I'm hoping to see more price parity between ICE and EV prices in the coming years for the mid size truck segment. Why not have different packages for the R1T like base, overland, luxury etc. to reduce price and help customize? No tax credits also make it difficult because of the current cost being above 80k.
2. I truly hope they add support for a front winch and true rear/front lockers not just the electronic variation of it.
3. If GM, RAM, and I'm sure Ford after the refresh of the lightning can get 400-450 miles for a full-size truck, Rivian needs to step it up here. Yes, I do understand the range loss especially highway vs stated EPA. I live in Texas, and it takes at the minimum 3 hours to get to another city in my vehicle.

Aside from those concerns, the Rivian is now officially (hopefully) going to be my next vehicle after 2025-2026 when the new NACS port is built in natively. I know, I know the adapter!

I wish I had included a side by side with the Rivian, but my Bronco is parked right next to it.

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg
Have both a 4 door Bronco and an R1T. The bronco is a beast that we tow with and take on off-roading adventures. The R1T is a much more comfortable daily driver that is capable of going on adventures. The Bronco is the vehicle we beat up on and get dirty.

1. Both vehicles are overpriced at their current price point and I am glad to have gotten in on early reservations.

2. I personally am ok with the lack of locker and winch support. I think they would eat into your range and I don’t take the R1T the places I take the Bronco.

3. I think everyone will eventually step their game up. Solid state 🤞

Anyway welcome to the forum and I guarantee you will love your Rivian if and when you make the plunge. I am not an EV zealot but was pleasantly surprised with how awesome it is charging at your house for daily commuting. On top of that the acceleration is out of this world.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Audi RS7, 2021 Ford Bronco, 2024 Rivian R1S
So I have the 2021 Bronco first edition and I really enjoyed it but gotten tired of it for long distance trips snowboarding. I have the R1S quad ready to pick up in 2 weeks and I am very excited. its not even comparable. So smooth, fast, high tech and plenty of space for my mountain bike and snowboards. However I am debating selling the Bronco or keep it along side the R1s and the 2021 Audi RS7...

Last edited:

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

I don't know why people are comparing Rivians and Broncos or Jeeps, they're so entirely different it's not even funny. I own both currently, and Rivian is #1 my primary, daily, and road trip vehicle. The Bronco is the weekend fun car, top off for 4 months straight, goes anywhere in any weather. They're both amazing at certain things, but not comparable. Rivian is decent off road, but does not compare to a vehicle with front and rear lockers.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have to disagree with your assessment here because I've watched probably way more videos and reviews on the R1T than I should. Even Kyle Connor from out of spec has mentioned it needs lockers on the vehicle because the electronic system can't compare. Now, I may be wrong because I have never driven one off road. I'm going off what EV reviewers are saying about it.
You are not wrong. Anybody telling you that a quad is "as good as lockers" just doesn't know any better.

It is not. In fact, not even close

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I don't know why people are comparing Rivians and Broncos or Jeeps, they're so entirely different it's not even funny. I own both currently, and Rivian is #1 my primary, daily, and road trip vehicle. The Bronco is the weekend fun car, top off for 4 months straight, goes anywhere in any weather. They're both amazing at certain things, but not comparable. Rivian is decent off road, but does not compare to a vehicle with front and rear lockers.
TBH, I don't know what anyone would buy a Bronco or Jeep over the Grenadier other than the availability of aftermarket add-ons. I almost bought a Bronco and feel like I came a winner by passing. The Grenadier, on the other hand, has been displacing my R1S as my daily of choice.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
TBH, I don't know what anyone would buy a Bronco or Jeep over the Grenadier other than the availability of aftermarket add-ons. I almost bought a Bronco and feel like I came a winner by passing. The Grenadier, on the other hand, has been displacing my R1S as my daily of choice.
For me it is service about 15 minutes from my house to a Jeep dealer and like you said....all the aftermarket support. Lift. Bumpers. Wheels. Tires. Roof comes off. Roof options. Doors come off easily. Lots of fun to be had with Wranglers.

But in all actuality our JL Rubicon has only been back to dealer once in 55k miles....for a steering damper recall.

And then my kids each have JL Wranglers and neither has required to go back to dealer for anything. Combined miles about 50k.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Audi RS7, 2021 Ford Bronco, 2024 Rivian R1S
Sell the Bronco away , why would you need it anymore if you have the R1s and an Audi RS7, it's like almost my dream garage.

Good point. Its the best of both worlds having the R1S and RS7. WIll sell the Bronco 1st edition after picking up R1S. It has a good value for only 13k miles
Sponsored