Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Welcome to the forum. As a built wrangler and R1T owner I can tell you that the R1T is worth the money they are asking for such a versatile, and well built vehicle. With that said, it’s never going to be able to keep up and/or not get damaged on the real hard stuff. The R1T does 80 mph all day, zero to 60 is preposterously fast, it loves to be pushed in the twistys, and on top of that it’s got 15 inches of ground clearance and is a good off-roader, but it’s not a great off-roader, the bronco and the wrangler are better at technical difficult terrain. Example, I’m taking my current wrangler on the rubicon trail for the third time in September and I wouldn’t even dream of trying it in my Rivian.…….hey RJ if you want video of a Rivian on the rubicon I’m your guy…all I need is for you to loan me one, and be ok if it looks different coming out.

If Rivian came out with a less expensive dual motor model that had lockers, coil overs instead of air , a less expensive interior, and few less drive modes at 15-20k less it would probably sell well.
Yeah, a truck like that might catch my eye. Although I do like having the air suspension's range and adjustability. I could do without the vegan seats (cloth would be fine), the gee-whiz electronic adjustable vents (manual would better), the glass roof (a solid roof, with insulation would be much better), rotating side mirrors (very cool, but I don't "need" them), the wood accents (nice, but I'd give them up for lower cost), 3 second zero to 60 (very cool, but I could live live 4.5 seconds). Maybe if, in the future, Rivian does reintroduce an "Explore" trim, that focuses on utility, as opposed to luxury (at a substantially lower price), they might open up a new market for their trucks.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
No joke. You think the Tacoma TRD pro will be less than $55k? I assume there will be a dealer markup one way or another, whether it be straight ADM or mandatory packages, but it might even push toward $60k to get one in your driveway before taxes and everything. Car prices are bananas lately, even with the current interest rates.
I would have said $55k until I saw their announcement about the fancy seats they put in it!
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a...ta-tacoma-trd-pro-has-the-coolest-seats-ever/

After that I figure we are looking at closer to $60k, which seems like a lot, but it is a great truck. I traded in my 2017 TRD Pro for my Rivian. It's nice to not have to worry about getting up to speed on a highway on ramp anymore :CWL:

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Hard to ever go wrong with a Toyota truck, but those seats seem like the most anti-Toyota thing I’ve seen in a long time. Super cool look, but you’re right, it wouldn’t surprise me to see a $60k price tag with those things.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Hard to ever go wrong with a Toyota truck, but those seats seem like the most anti-Toyota thing I’ve seen in a long time. Super cool look, but you’re right, it wouldn’t surprise me to see a $60k price tag with those things.
After 4 years with the short flat leather slabs they called seats I had in mine, I almost cried when I saw those seats designed for comfort!

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I like the look and size of the Bronco but man the ones I've been in ride like wet dog eating a baby racoon compared to the R1S. A Bronco-sized EV would interest me.

Sponsored

Nametaken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, R1T, Vanderhall, Frontier
I came here with good intentions and I'm getting blown up for one comment. Also, very short sited on the no research. I've been keeping up with all things EV and very much in tune with Rivian and the things they are doing. All I stated was that to get more people on board there needs to be more price parity between EV's and ICE.
This makes me laugh! I had the same thing happen......one well meant comment and some jerk on here took it down hill fast and everything just fell apart. It seems as if there are a couple of members on here that "know it all" end of story, their way of thinking or take the highway. Reminds me of the "smart computer" kids in school it's kinda Sad, we are all just excited about the truck and want to share the excitement. Oh well....FYI the Bronco forums are the BEST group on any forum I've been on so far. Buy it you will love it! Welcome and ignore the neck beard attitudes of some:)

OP
OP

Mike777

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco, Hyundai Santa Fe
Yeah, a truck like that might catch my eye. Although I do like having the air suspension's range and adjustability. I could do without the vegan seats (cloth would be fine), the gee-whiz electronic adjustable vents (manual would better), the glass roof (a solid roof, with insulation would be much better), rotating side mirrors (very cool, but I don't "need" them), the wood accents (nice, but I'd give them up for lower cost), 3 second zero to 60 (very cool, but I could live live 4.5 seconds). Maybe if, in the future, Rivian does reintroduce an "Explore" trim, that focuses on utility, as opposed to luxury (at a substantially lower price), they might open up a new market for their trucks.
I really do appreciate this comment because this is exactly what I was referring to. It not that I can't afford an 80k truck its more do I need all those features. I wouldn't even be looking at this truck if I couldn't. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love everything the R1T offers. My comment was just referring to have more of a base or the long-gone explorer trim as more of a trimmed down version. Now what that actually looks like in costs savings like 4.5 sec vs 3 sec or vegan vs cloth who knows but it should be worth pursuing. Many people want a mid-size truck like this but without some of the more luxurious interior features. Who knows I could be wrong based on the low pick up rate of the explorer trim.

This makes me laugh! I had the same thing happen......one well meant comment and some jerk on here took it down hill fast and everything just fell apart. It seems as if there are a couple of members on here that "know it all" end of story, their way of thinking or take the highway. Reminds me of the "smart computer" kids in school it's kinda Sad, we are all just excited about the truck and want to share the excitement. Oh well....FYI the Bronco forums are the BEST group on any forum I've been on so far. Buy it you will love it! Welcome and ignore the neck beard attitudes of some:)
Thank you and still looking forward to one day becoming a Rivian owner despite my entrance on the forum lol. I've always said one day my Bronco would stay in my garage as a toy and the Rivian would be my daily, camper, and maybe once in a while do easy to medium trails.

Last edited:

juancoffee

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Mosel 3 Performance, Fiat 500E
Occupation
Director
I sold my Bronco Wildtrak to get my R1T (with off road tires).
I loved the Bronco, it was a very unpretentious and enjoyable vehicle.
I could never help but smile when I looked at it.

the R1T is a completely different level when it comes to quality though, and easily worth the extra money.
Is it as good off road as the Bronco?
Probably not. On the road though; it is a totally different league.

Truthfully, if I could get a Bronco Raptor for anywhere near list, I would LOVE to have both.
They are so different, they would compliment each other superbly!

adam12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6
Occupation
MD
In my opinion Rivian needs to follow the Tesla playbook at this time. That is to say have high end vehicles come out first, ramp this up, and then work on the Mid price point options. My observation is that they tried to offer a spectrum of options (from trim levels to add on options) and then had to pull away from this as likely it made its ramp up slow. My build (pre-order for me was ~circa 2019) has changed considerably from interior color, Rear cover, Quad to dual motor, and essentially all the exterior options being stripped away (kitchen, Tent, Rear cover). These changes nearly made me feel like jumping ship, but at this time I continue to hold my pre-order.

Hopefully Rivan will continue on its trajectory and offer excellence to outdoor enthusiasts and be a long lived effort that all can enjoy. I am glad there are ICE enthusiasts looking this way as I think the new kid on the block will win some converts.

Gentilly7

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
Real Estate Investor, IT Consultant, Small Business Owner
people keep saying to wait for R2 for a cheaper Rivian. The R2 is going to be a small unibody crossover, not a larger midsize truck that a lot of us want.

Originally Rivian had an explore trim as an entry, hopefully they bring that back one day.
I agree with your doubts about the R2. What’s the ICE equivalent of an R2 going to be? Ford Bronco Sport? Land Rover Discovery Sport? No thanks.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I am trying to understand how the 10K mile cost difference is only $600. Looking at Fuelly.com the Braptor seems to get 14 mpg (maybe that's wrong or low?) If I take $3.50/gallon gas assuming we put just regular in the Raptor and I go 2.3 mi/kwh on the Rivian and the roughly $0.31 that Eversource is charging me right now on Cape Cod that 10K fuel cost difference is really $1152 not accounting for an oil change or two
I believe the Raptor is premium fuel only. Most things with a tweaked out turbo are and I think that has the same motor in it as the Explorer ST does. I used to have the Explorer ST and it was premium only.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I agree with your doubts about the R2. What’s the ICE equivalent of an R2 going to be? Ford Bronco Sport? Land Rover Discovery Sport? No thanks.
My guess is R2 will be comparable to the Tesla Model Y, Ford Mach-E, Cady Lyric segment. Rivian will probably try to convert more Subaru owners into EV's. Competition will be tight but the market is huge for this segment. Very important Rivian does not screw up the R2 or they will be in deep water.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
My guess is R2 will be comparable to the Tesla Model Y, Ford Mach-E, Cady Lyric segment. Rivian will probably try to convert more Subaru owners into EV's. Competition will be tight but the market is huge for this segment. Very important Rivian does not screw up the R2 or they will be in deep water.
You're right, it's a very important segment. What we're getting at is we want a large mid-size (R1T, Gladiator) truck for around $60K. The current R1T is 100% worth what they are asking for it, we just want a cheaper trim option to bring in other buyers.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Electrons are expensive where I am, and man, gas isn't. So the cost differential between our R1T and our BRaptor for 10K miles - including oil changes, is $600.
R1T 10K
@ 250miles/charge = 40 charges, 120kw @ .25C/kwh=$30per charge
$30 x 40 charges (assuming highest tier kw charge rate) = $1200

Braptor 10K
10K /15mpg = 667gallons @ $4.5 gallon (less than yearly average in Boston for premium) = $3000

Last edited:

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

@Mike777, welcome to the forum; I hope you get to stick around and one day post pics of your new Rivian. If I can be so bold, I would just say that some of the things that you said or alluded to in your original post touch on some contentious discussions that have happened in the past few years here. So, despite your best intentions, you may have stepped on some unexploded cluster munitions that have been buried for years. I've lost my mind a couple times here; if you're looking for an example of manic forum behavior, my posts are there for all to read. Please don't leave as a result... the stock is doing better lately, but not to where I need it to be.

I would recommend that you jump at any chance to stick your head in (and maybe even ride in) an R1S or R1T. It might not make you say "oh, yeah, I really do want the real wood trim", but it would help you understand the price and some of the things that we owners love about our vehicles. As for getting the R1 down to $60k... I would say that's not what this thing is supposed to be. If they did the things mentioned earlier:

I could do without the vegan seats (cloth would be fine), the gee-whiz electronic adjustable vents (manual would better), the glass roof (a solid roof, with insulation would be much better), rotating side mirrors (very cool, but I don't "need" them), the wood accents (nice, but I'd give them up for lower cost), 3 second zero to 60 (very cool, but I could live live 4.5 seconds). Maybe if, in the future, Rivian does reintroduce an "Explore" trim, that focuses on utility, as opposed to luxury (at a substantially lower price), they might open up a new market for their trucks.
... I don't think that's a Rivian anymore. Or at least, it's not the R1. I believe that would dilute the brand (the "R1" brand) in the same way as if they made a budget Model S, Model X, Lucid Air, Ferrari, etc. I don't think "utility" has been Rivian's goal in the way it is for lower trims of Ford and GM, but they are more focused on "adventure". Heck, their idea of "Utility" is "hauling gear, loading bikes, wrestling wetsuits, cooking out, sleeping under the stars." That's REI, not Home Depot. That doesn't make you or @zymolysis wrong, per se. Your viewpoints and desires in your vehicles are valid, but they just might not line up with what Rivian is or is at the moment. I think there was an attempt early on to have mid-stream pricing, but the reality of the last 3+ years took that idea down Old Yeller-style. Also, there were a lot of beatings on shareholder calls...

The R2 line might meet your needs... or not. In the same way that someone looking for a (new) Model X at $50k, but the Model Y doesn't meet their needs are not having their needs met by Tesla. That's fine. Vehicles like the R1 are paving the way and other manufacturers (or even Rivian) will work to flesh out the white spaces in the market (price, utility, etc.). However, I would encourage you to get in and drive one (I think there are some in TX, I bet you'd have a blast at a meet up), it just might change your mind.

Edit: Also, don't mention cup holders.
Sponsored