First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Over a 12 hour period, the front drops around 2 - 2.5 inches. This is in all-purpose/middle suspension mode. The drop is typically more on the drivers side. I mentioned this to the mobile tech and he seemed a bit surprised and asked if it's "leaning on one side" but this is NOT the well documented passenger side lean issue. The behavior is consistent. When I unlock and enter, it always adjusts back to something closer to level.

Has anyone had this type of issue where the entire front drops? My service appointment is months away...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tommy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 HD Fatboy
Yes, it has happened occasionally after sitting unused for a day or two. I've never measured it, but would guess it's only an inch or less and uniformly on both sides. Not lopsided. I've attributed this to a slow leak or perhaps a change in ambient air pressure (?). Not sure, but it's not particularly noteworthy in my case. Your situation seems seems more significant. Good luck on the fix.

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Over a 12 hour period, the front drops around 2 - 2.5 inches. This is in all-purpose/middle suspension mode. The drop is typically more on the drivers side. I mentioned this to the mobile tech and he seemed a bit surprised and asked if it's "leaning on one side" but this is NOT the well documented passenger side lean issue. The behavior is consistent. When I unlock and enter, it always adjusts back to something closer to level.

Has anyone had this type of issue where the entire front drops? My service appointment is months away...
I have exactly the same issue. The front drops a few inches over a few hours or overnight, when I'm not using the truck. I have similarly noticed that there's slightly more drop on the driver side. And similarly, when I unlock with the fob or sometimes when I'm just nearby with my phone, it will quickly adjust itself back to level.

I put in a ticket for it but my appointment is about five weeks away. If I learn anything useful I'll post about it here.

OP
OP
madgrey

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clockwork, your issue does sound the same. I even observe that the truck seems to "wake up" and make adjustments nearly every time I enter the garage. I'd appreciate any info you learn from the SC.

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had the same issue on my Model X, turned back there was a leak in from the right air strut.

Sponsored

OP
OP
madgrey

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I had the same issue on my Model X, turned back there was a leak in from the right air strut.
I wish I had a schematic for the system, that might help with understanding what components could be at fault. Since it's the whole front I suspect some valve closer to the compressor but I suppose it's possible that a leak in the right place on a strut might cause both to lose air.

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
I left my R1T at the airport last week for a few days (Thurs-Sun) in All-Purpose/Standard height, and when I returned the front end was SLAMMED. Like I couldn’t fit a finger in between the top of the tire and the fender. The back end seemed normal. Got in and changed the ride height and it brought itself right back up. The next day while parked at work it dropped a bit, but not nearly as much. Since then it seems to be staying up. I have a feeling I’ve got a leak somewhere and if it happens again I’ll be putting in a service request.

This is on software version 2022.39.1

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Almost certainly a leak. Not really likely to be "kneel mode" since that's something you would have to deliberately activate, and the vehicle doesn't kneel overnight, it kneels all at once.

Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Don't all air suspensions leak just a little bit? After sitting for a week I wouldn't be too surprised but it also wouldn't tremendously impact normal operation.

OP
OP
madgrey

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Don't all air suspensions leak just a little bit? After sitting for a week I wouldn't be too surprised but it also wouldn't tremendously impact normal operation.
No. I put 28K miles on my RAM 1500 Limited in 3 years. I had a similar setup (exit mode + 4 drive heights). I adjusted the height every time I drove, often multiple times and never had any noticeable change in height that was not expected, even after sitting at SeaTac for 5 days.

Now, every time I get in the R1T, I'm warned to not drive until the suspension levels again. A bit annoying but also the compressor is working harder than it should. This isn't like kneel mode, it's more of a "slammed" mode.

Gustev

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self employed
Same has been happening on mine. The front will drop overnight. Just got it back from SC. They did a suspension calibration and wheel alignment. It doesn’t see has bad but it still “settling”. They said putting it in highest off road mode and turning on tire change is a test to show there isn’t a leak. It is software. They also said it’s not an issue. Really!?
So it is now sitting in my garage at highest in off-road with tire change setting on since 12/25 at 5:30pm. I waited until the ride height showed it was finished raising and the compressor stopped. That way the whole system should be at max pressure.
I’ve checked about every 12 hours and this morning it has lost 1-1/4” in height over 40 hrs. Not that noticeable when at max ride height but at standard it would be.

OP
OP
madgrey

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Same has been happening on mine. The front will drop overnight. Just got it back from SC. They did a suspension calibration and wheel alignment. It doesn’t see has bad but it still “settling”. They said putting it in highest off road mode and turning on tire change is a test to show there isn’t a leak. It is software. They also said it’s not an issue. Really!?
So it is now sitting in my garage at highest in off-road with tire change setting on since 12/25 at 5:30pm. I waited until the ride height showed it was finished raising and the compressor stopped. That way the whole system should be at max pressure.
I’ve checked about every 12 hours and this morning it has lost 1-1/4” in height over 40 hrs. Not that noticeable when at max ride height but at standard it would be.
Thanks for the feedback and welcome to the forum!

I'll try the max height/tire mode before my appointment in January.

Saying something is "normal" or "not really an issue" is right out of the typical service advisor playbook used by many, but not all. It seems like the premium brands do a better job. This is disappointing for Rivian. If it's software, then you have to ask what hardware system is providing the faulty input and why it's not being repaired or replaced.

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do

Had issue when parking for 30min or longer. Once driving again would watch from raise. Service found leak in front fitting and replaced. Solved issue and excessive compressor running
Sponsored