First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S, '15 650s Spider, '97 355 GTS
Occupation
Real Estate
Anyone else have this issue? There is nothing in the way but it just keeps re-opening itself. Is there a way to recalibrate it or run a test?
Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Our rental R1S has this issue. I just manually close it and then it latches in.

It must think there is an obstruction.

ciber1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Administrator
Clubs

It appears to be an issue. I had mine repaired by Rivian Mobile service at no charge. It appears something get in the way of the sensors around the hinge area. It appeared to be a quick fix. Unfortunately I was unable to see what the technician corrected.

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
File a ticket and ask for a mobile service appointment.

Had mine adjusted by a mobile tech back in October. The tech explained that there are no sensors per se. Instead it just monitors current on the motorized lifting struts. If the current spikes then the truck assumes there is an obstruction and reverses course. He made a small adjustment to the alignment of my hood which appeared to be brushing an adjacent panel.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Anyone else have this issue? There is nothing in the way but it just keeps re-opening itself. Is there a way to recalibrate it or run a test?
It's likely a minor alignment issue. My wife's R1S had it happen and service took care of it quickly.

Sponsored

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Is it closing all the way down to about 80% closed then decides to reverse back up? Check that it doesn't hit in the corner by the hinges, mine was misaligned in a way that the corner of the hood by the hinge made contact with the rubber gasket, broke the clip, pushed the gasket out of the way and started rubbing the clear off the fender.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
Phone 888-RIVIAN-1, press 2 for service.

I had one panel on each side that had become unclipped from its mount.

Pushing each panel in the right place (next to the opener strut) fixed it for me.

It might be something else. That's why it's more efficient to call the service tech for advice.

Very best wishes!

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
@sgtpeper: You can turn off the power frunk, I think it's from the Settings --> Vehicle screen (but I hope others will correct me if I'm wrong).

[Correcting myself: It's the "Settings --> Vehicle --> Access screen, then touch the "Power hood operation" button (which shows gold when on) and it should turn gray (signifying that it's off).

Unless there's a really big obstruction, closing the frunk manually should allow you to drive the vehicle until the problem is resolved.

I hope this helps!

[Farther down, you say, "I saw a few people have damaged their hoods by closing them manually." Interesting, because the Service tech talked me through manual closure as part of the troubleshooting process. Glad you're in touch with Rivian Service! DRC]

Last edited:

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

Pretty sure this is caused by referring to it as a “frunk” which is a Tesla term. Call it a “front trunk”, or “bow boot” and it should work perfectly.

Ohm Boy

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Funny, but frunk is decidedly not a Tesla term. It existed for decades before Tesla existed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

sgtpeper

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S, '15 650s Spider, '97 355 GTS
Occupation
Real Estate
Yep. the 911 has entered the chat haha. Shall I call it a froot instead?

Made a service appt. I'm sure it's nothing big but still annoying and I saw a few people have damaged their hoods closing them manually.

KiloWhathours

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (Rivian Blue, AT Package)
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I had this issue, it was a slight misalignment of the hood panel. Service fixed it easily.

JoeGiul

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Investor
The mobile tech is coming today to hopefully fix this issue. I'll let ya'll know what he says

TexasB

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Transportation
Clubs

Mine does this intermittently. Try opening the "front trunk", lifting the floor panel in the middle and securing the magnet in the trunk divider to lock open. Then close the divider down and see if the "Front trunk" closes.

JoeGiul

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Investor
Tech just left. Hood alignment. Took 20 minutes. He said Rivian says to install sensor first as part of the procedure but that is almost always alignment. Need a QC check before delivery.
Sponsored