Sponsored

Future R1S Standard+ lease vs Production Shutdown Timeline

torriano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2
My current lease is up in a few months time.

(Wish it was sooner, and I'd be willing to sacrifice a lease payment or two if I found a great deal/option - was refunded some lease payments by my current car company for threatening lemon law proceedings).

I want a very specific $80k R1S build: DM, Standard+, Green or Limestone, Road tires. I don't need a higher-end build, nor do I want to pay the extra it'll cost.

It seems like Standard+ is very rare currently in the Shop, and they're not available to config until the Summer regardless (according to Customer Service on Chat). So I'm trying to figure out what the path forward looks like...

-Do we think more Standard+ will come online in the Shop as demand is (possibly) slowing?
-Do we think the Q2 shutdown will have big impact on availability towards the Summer months?
-Should I configure my desired build now regardless, or am I then locked in? (It's confusing to me - I paid a refundable $1k deposit via a link a Space gave me, but I have no option to Configure, and don't want to pay another $1k or lose a non-refundable deposit if circumstances change)
-Overall, how should I think about getting the car I want in (say) 3 months time...?

Lots of questions, sorry, would appreciate the wisdom of the crowds...!

Thank you.
Sponsored

NJDevFan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium ER, '19 Highlander Hybrid
Clubs

Good taste! I configured that exact build (Limestone) in October with a large pack. Rivian's anticipated delivery was within 4 months at time of config but it's been crickets, despite having a Dec/Jan delivery estimate at one point. I digress though.

Let me hit a few of your points....

When std+ was introduced a few weeks ago I spoke to my Guide about switching and she said (just as you noted) that std+ won't be configurable until the summer.

If you want an exact std+ build you will need to wait and configure once it's available or hope to get lucky in the shop. If you need at a specific time you may need to be flexible on config.

Your $1000 deposit is refundable until you lock in your configuration. You don't have to pay another $1000.

I've seen very little std+ in the shop and what I have is still paired with higher priced options well over $80k.

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

So I have an update on this. If you did not get a SR or SR+ that was in the shop at launch they wont be making anymore till after reopen. Current orders on launch are slated for mid march.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Very appealing build your after. That build is the sweet spot for many buyers.

We are just a tad over a month from the shut down. CS is hit or miss sometimes with info.

How long do you have? You could order, but don't lock in. Once you lock in your deposit is non refundable.

The other, and a really good option right now, is to get a used quad motor. You can get a quad with very low mileage for a similar price.

When you buy new there is an additional $2,000 in destination and doc fees and then state tax if applicable. When you buy used, your getting a darn good deal over a new quad price.

Very low miles R1S are going for around 80k now on C&B. R1T even less.

Ahh decisions.

C&B has a 4.5% buyers fee

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rGJRWLV2/2024-rivian-r1s-adventure-edition

Early VIN with 19k sold for 66k
https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rE71Glak/2022-rivian-r1s-launch-edition

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KZMe55kQ/2023-rivian-r1s-adventure-edition

OP
OP

torriano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2
Really helpful, thanks all 3. To address a couple of follow-ups;

-I'm still a bit confused about the points made about "order but not lock in" - I don''t have an option to configure/order through the Shop after I paid my refundable deposit, and if i start the config process separately it tells me I already have an order...which is just a deposit, not tied to a config! If i was to start an actual config, at what point is my car moved into production and a (second) deposit not refundable? (I know I should know that, but it's kinda confusing).

-Used is smart, but I'm pretty committed to leasing honestly. Maybe I'm being narrow-minded, but the manageable monthly payment plus flexibility to do something different in a couple of years time is my sweeet spot.

I don't love the uncertainty as to whether I'll be able to get my build, but guess that's the reality of the situation. (Lease is up in June, so I have time, I'm just impatiently wanting it...)

@NJDevFan30 congrats on the order...hope you get some good news soon!
Sponsored