Sponsored

Gen 2 R1S (DM / Standard) delivery scheduled in 10 days - some questions

rexian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / BMW X3
Hey all - a long time reader here and finally pulled the trigger on a Gen 2. I test drove a Gen 1 quad a year or so ago and knew I was getting one but wanted to wait for the LFP option to be available. Have an early Tesla M3 so no stranger to cosmetic issues like misaligned panels but wanted to ask a few questions for those who took recent deliveries.
  1. How was your experience during the delivery? Did you use any lists (one example) to check? And more importantly, did you find any issues later considering it's Gen 2 and most of the visible ones must have been taken care of? Can't imagine checking under the vehicle (who does that 😬). Hoping to have a great experience (both for us and the guide).
  2. The compact tire is out of stock - I had a few bad experiences with both my cars and ended up getting full size spares for both BMW and Tesla (really a pain with the tire taking up so much space in the trunk). How are folks here going about it?
  3. I see most of the Gen 2 vehicles in shop don't come with a built-in air compressor. Do you know if it can be retrofitted? I don't see it in the gear shop so wonder what path folks have taken here.
  4. I know charging 100% daily doesn't harm the LFP battery (my Anker Solix shows no degradation after being on wall for last 6 months) but is there a problem if I charge once in 2-3 days to 100% and drive until 50-60%? I am going to share the same outlet with the Tesla and can't charge both every night (will install another 240V outlet in future).
  5. Any other advice?
Thanks for any comments! Really happy to join this group and looking forweard to some fun trips in the coming months.
Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

1. How was your experience during the delivery? Did you use any lists (one example) to check? And more importantly, did you find any issues later considering it's Gen 2 and most of the visible ones must have been taken care of? Can't imagine checking under the vehicle (who does that 😬). Hoping to have a great experience (both for us and the guide).
  1. Walk around the vehicle and inspect the panels to see if they are fitted correctly. Also look for paint flaws
    [*]The compact tire is out of stock - I had a few bad experiences with both my cars and ended up getting full size spares for both BMW and Tesla (really a pain with the tire taking up so much space in the trunk). How are folks here going about it?
    We bought the full-size tire package about 4 months after. It comes with a jack, pucks and a tire and rim that match the vehicle. We have our tires rotated every 8k miles and always get a 5-tire rotation.
  2. I know charging 100% daily doesn't harm the LFP battery (my Anker Solix shows no degradation after being on wall for last 6 months) but is there a problem if I charge once in 2-3 days to 100% and drive until 50-60%? I am going to share the same outlet with the Tesla and can't charge both every night (will install another 240V outlet in future).
    We regularly charge to 90% due to my commute. After a year of charging to 90% there has been no degradation in performance. We also charge mainly at home and then I charge at work on L2's. On road trips we will charge to 100% and drive in conserve mode. With my commute, I drive in all-purpose mode because All-purpose mode the tire wear is even.
    [*]Any other advice?
    Have fun and make sure they explain and you understand all the bells and whistles of the vehicle.

OP
OP

rexian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / BMW X3
Walk around the vehicle and inspect the panels to see if they are fitted correctly. Also look for paint flaws We bought the full-size tire package about 4 months after. It comes with a jack, pucks and a tire and rim that match the vehicle. We have our tires rotated every 8k miles and always get a 5-tire rotation.
Thanks Defcon! Will definitely do the walk around. If R1S had the space for a full spare it'd be a no-brainer but will keep an eye on the compact spare.

We regularly charge to 90% due to my commute. After a year of charging to 90% there has been no degradation in performance. We also charge mainly at home and then I charge at work on L2's. On road trips we will charge to 100% and drive in conserve mode. With my commute, I drive in all-purpose mode because All-purpose mode the tire wear is even. Have fun and make sure they explain and you understand all the bells and whistles of the vehicle.
That's great to hear! My 2018 Tesla LR with NCA battery still shows 310 miles range (was 325 at one point) so ~5% degradation in 6 years but not sure I believe Tesla's numbers. Expecting a different experience with LFP though... ~5% degradation in 2 years is not very encouraging. Hoping Rivian has a better chemistry.

On road trips we will charge to 100% and drive in conserve mode. With my commute, I drive in all-purpose mode because All-purpose mode the tire wear is even. Have fun and make sure they explain and you understand all the bells and whistles of the vehicle.
I plan to do the same. BTW, do we have any reports on whether conserve mode on Gen 2 cars is the same as/different from Gen 1?

f1racer328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - Land Rover LR4
Occupation
Tube Driver
I plan to do the same. BTW, do we have any reports on whether conserve mode on Gen 2 cars is the same as/different from Gen 1?
They don't have a conserve mode. The rear axle disconnect is automatic.

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
They don't have a conserve mode. The rear axle disconnect is automatic.
Dual motor models do not have conserve. Tri and quad motor still do. Not sure if it functions the same way as it does in gen 1, but they do have conserve mode still

OP
OP

rexian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / BMW X3
Ah, thanks for the clarification! No worries about excessive tire wear for the DM in that case?
Sponsored