Sponsored

Gen2 R1 wireless charging pad improvements? Swappable into Gen1?

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

I had a discussion with the SC team here and they did some digging. The Gen 2 wireless charger will not go in the gen 1. They can order the mat and that can be swapped if you want the divided top. Didn't have so much to do with the NFC, but something else. They let me order one anyway, but said it will probably be a little while given they just started production last month.
Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
There goes another broken promise, that ā€œolderā€ cars would get a charge pad fix. I knew after hearing nothing since that Brownlee podcast that things had changed and it shouldnā€™t have been said. Just go aftermarket.

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
There goes another broken promise, that ā€œolderā€ cars would get a charge pad fix. I knew after hearing nothing since that Brownlee podcast that things had changed and it shouldnā€™t have been said. Just go aftermarket.
I mean the more I think about it, the benefit and convenience of MagSafe is never going to be matched by any oem replacement unless thereā€™s an alternate way of holding the phone in place (I know some other manufacturers have this). Wish I had realized this sooner and just ordered aftermarket instead of waiting šŸ˜…. Some great options out there though.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I mean the more I think about it, the benefit and convenience of MagSafe is never going to be matched by any oem replacement unless thereā€™s an alternate way of holding the phone in place
Qi is the current standard for wireless charging, limited to 7.5W. Rivian's charge pad is Qi compatible.

MagSafe is still proprietary to Apple.

But Qi2, which has just been rolling out recently, has magnetic positioning, a higher power of 15W, and is backwards compatible with MagSafe.

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Qi is the current standard for wireless charging, limited to 7.5W. Rivian's charge pad is Qi compatible.

MagSafe is still proprietary to Apple.

But Qi2, which has just been rolling out recently, has magnetic positioning, a higher power of 15W, and is backwards compatible with MagSafe.
You're right, I guess I should have been clearer in that post and referred to it as the benefit and convenience of magnetic positioning in general instead of MagSafe. I don't think the Gen2 pad has magnetic positioning, does it?

Sponsored

coney129

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Rivian R1S
Hi, on your link it says: āš  NOT compatible with 2025 Gen2 Refresh

Got my gen2 R1S on Tuesday, so here is more info:

1. If you have an iPhone, the wireless charger offers no sensible improvement. I had an hour drive from the SC to home after picking up and the battery level stayed the same.
2. It's not an easy swap to get gen2 charger and put it into a gen1 vehicle. The mat is easy but the charger is also different and the molex adapter is different.
3. Because of (2) the aftermarket OEM replacement chargers won't work because as I said - the molex adapter is different.
4. Our MagSafe charger (https://twraps.com/products/magsafe-compatible-dual-wireless-charger-for-rivian-r1t-r1s) is already re-done to work on gen2, and happy to say I am getting 10W power if plugged into the right hand side USB-C port (left hand side now reserved for USB drive for Gear Guard videos). I will be releasing our gen2 compatible charger in a day or two. Same design as before but the bottom is re-worked so that the divider fits in it.

1. If you have an iPhone, the wireless charger offers no sensible improvement. I had an hour drive from the SC to home after picking up and the battery level stayed the same.
2. It's not an easy swap to get gen2 charger and put it into a gen1 vehicle. The mat is easy but the charger is also different and the molex adapter is different.
3. Because of (2) the aftermarket OEM replacement chargers won't work because as I said - the molex adapter is different.
4. Our MagSafe charger (https://twraps.com/products/magsafe-compatible-dual-wireless-charger-for-rivian-r1t-r1s) is already re-done to work on gen2, and happy to say I am getting 10W power if plugged into the right hand side USB-C port (left hand side now reserved for USB drive for Gear Guard videos). I will be releasing our gen2 compatible charger in a day or two. Same design as before but the bottom is re-worked so that the divider fits in it.

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

someone needs to 3D print a TPU mat with ridges, so the phone stay put. I may get around to this when I have a chance. Take out the old mat 3D scan it then print in TPU with raised spine in middle and sides.

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Model S, Model 3
Clubs

Hi, on your link it says: āš  NOT compatible with 2025 Gen2 Refresh
Yes still running through the older inventory. Will release the 2025 compatible version on Monday or Tuesday at the latest.
Itā€™s already done and I am using it but I am yet to shoot an install video, edit it etc.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
You're right, I guess I should have been clearer in that post and referred to it as the benefit and convenience of magnetic positioning in general instead of MagSafe. I don't think the Gen2 pad has magnetic positioning, does it?
No it doesn't.

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition