Sponsored

Going from Lake Tahoe to Eureka... charging questions

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Rivian R1T Adventure
Hi, I am going from Lake Tahoe to Eureka and I tried to look for chargers using PlugShare app. All I can find is some lvl 1/2 charging near hotel or some department store. Is there any fast charging available on that route? Do you have any suggestions on where to stop and charge? Otherwise I am seriously thinking about renting a gas vehicle for this trip. Thanks!
Sponsored

whizzkidd

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Cocaine White w/ Black Mountain on 20” AT
I’m not sure if you want to go to Yuba City as your title states, or Eureka as your post suggests. But on a very quick typing into A Better Route Planner, there’s several ways you could get to where you would want to go. Obviously cross reference it all with plug share but there’s a handful of fast chargers on the way. Just make sure you’re charged up on the high side when you’re starting your trip.

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
Hi, I am going from Lake Tahoe to Eureka and I tried to look for chargers using PlugShare app. All I can find is some lvl 1/2 charging near hotel or some department store. Is there any fast charging available on that route? Do you have any suggestions on where to stop and charge? Otherwise I am seriously thinking about renting a gas vehicle for this trip. Thanks!
Where in Tahoe? South Lake Tahoe? Tahoe City? Truckee? Somewhere in Nevada?

Which route did you investigate? There are many ways to go some less direct than others.

There's a RAN in Sacramento you probably won't NEED since the first leg of the trip is entirely downhill, but charge up there anyway just to top off for the longer stint up the 5. Then charge up again in Redding before you work your way west. Definitely find a level 2 near your stay so you can overnight charge the day before you head back, unless there's a DCFC nearby.

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Checking plug share it looks like there's a Tesla Supercharger and an EA station along the 101 near Eureka. You should have no problem getting from there back to Redding on a full charge.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Occupation
Fake Science Lead
Clubs

I might be missing some aspect of this, but looks like best route is thru Truckee-Chico-Fortuna-Eureka…all Electrify America stations except the RAN in Fortuna…long drive for sure….

Sponsored

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I’ve gone to Eureka from SF and been to Tahoe (Truckee or South Lake Tahoe) from the Bay Area and it’s doable.
why not use the Rivian App?
I use the app and google maps for planning and only prefer RAN or Electify America on my trips unless there’s no other options.

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
I assume you don’t mean Tahoe to Eureka Nevada. They are both in Nevada and both on Hwy 50. If you did I’d give up. Even gas could be a challenge.

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think it's safe to say we all need a bit more info from OP before providing more help 😅 we don't even know which Eureka they're referring to, what config their truck is, etc.

OP
OP

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I assume you don’t mean Tahoe to Eureka Nevada. They are both in Nevada and both on Hwy 50. If you did I’d give up. Even gas could be a challenge.
I am sorry for the confusion. My trip is actually from LA - Vancouver using my R1T large pack with dark 20 inch rim. My itinerary is LA - Salinas - Big Sur - SF - Napa Valley - Tahoe Vista - Eureka, CA - Redwood NP - Mt. Rainier NP - Vancouver. I was worried about the Lake Tahoe - Eureka route the most but it looks like there is a RAN (thanks to Rivian). I used ABRP and it looks like the trip is doable. Thank you all for your advise. Love ya all!

PS) I got my R1T back in January 2023 and it's been sitting in my garage since. The odometer shows 1800 miles. This will be my first long road trip with R1T.

Last edited:

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
Also, get the PlugShare app. I find it helpful to scan the route for alternate charging stops in case I want/need to charge a bit sooner or want to go a bit further before stopping. Looks like you have a couple of alternatives for a midway charge in the Chico to Redding stretch.

Sponsored

Treebeard

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Fire Marshal
Clubs

I’ve gone to Eureka from SF and been to Tahoe (Truckee or South Lake Tahoe) from the Bay Area and it’s doable.
why not use the Rivian App?
I use the app and google maps for planning and only prefer RAN or Electify America on my trips unless there’s no other options.
The Rivian app has worked well for me as well and I have found it list many other chargers outside of the options it has built in for companies. It found the FPL network in FL, which is cheaper than others. I have also used google maps to find free level 2 in some places.

OP
OP

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Rivian app has worked well for me as well and I have found it list many other chargers outside of the options it has built in for companies. It found the FPL network in FL, which is cheaper than others. I have also used google maps to find free level 2 in some places.
It's good to hear that the Rivian app/nav works well. This is a long road trip and I really don't want to do lvl 2 charging and hopefully I won't run into a situation that requires lvl 2 charging.

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
It's good to hear that the Rivian app/nav works well. This is a long road trip and I really don't want to do lvl 2 charging and hopefully I won't run into a situation that requires lvl 2 charging.
If L2 is available at one of your stops then it definitely is worth taking advantage of. Adding ⚡ while you are doing other things will save time and 💲 at the DCFC.

idea man

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E250 Bluetec, Sprinter, Passat, F-250, R1250 GSA
Occupation
Project Manager
I live in Eureka.
I’ve used the RAN chargers in Ukiah, Fortuna and Crescent City about 20 times. They are very easy to get to and only once was there another truck at May of them. Usually there is a Safeway or other grocery store nearby to pick-up food or whatever. The next RAN north from Crescent city is Roseburg oregon is nice, but no grocery store nearby. if you have a lead foot or heavy range anxiety, you can top off in Grants Pass. From Roseburg OR, the next RAN north is near Portland. Nice enough, but again, no grocery store. There were a few other trucks at that one the times I was there. Big Rivian city, Portland is.
Tahoe to Ukiah should be doable if you leave with a full tank (charge) as it is mostly downhill and going across highway 20, you can’t exactly set any speed records.
All that said, if travel speed and time efficiency is your goal take an ICE car.
From Ukiah, north on the 101 is an absolute ball to drive. When you hit the twisty bits switch over to sport mode for maximum driving enjoyment. Switch back for maximum range.
Enjoy the trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I live in Eureka.
I’ve used the RAN chargers in Ukiah, Fortuna and Crescent City about 20 times. They are very easy to get to and only once was there another truck at May of them. Usually there is a Safeway or other grocery store nearby to pick-up food or whatever. The next RAN north from Crescent city is Roseburg oregon is nice, but no grocery store nearby. if you have a lead foot or heavy range anxiety, you can top off in Grants Pass. From Roseburg OR, the next RAN north is near Portland. Nice enough, but again, no grocery store. There were a few other trucks at that one the times I was there. Big Rivian city, Portland is.
Tahoe to Ukiah should be doable if you leave with a full tank (charge) as it is mostly downhill and going across highway 20, you can’t exactly set any speed records.
All that said, if travel speed and time efficiency is your goal take an ICE car.
From Ukiah, north on the 101 is an absolute ball to drive. When you hit the twisty bits switch over to sport mode for maximum driving enjoyment. Switch back for maximum range.
Enjoy the trip.
Awesome info. Thanks. I didn't realize there are so many RAN chargers now these days. Keep up the good work Rivian!
Sponsored