Sponsored

Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover?

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Would breaking the brittle plastic be covered under warranty? Seems to me it would be very easy to call it user-inflicted damage, like the thin glass roof. I guess we'll be finding out.
Yes. It's covered by the full warranty of the vehicle, per comments by my Guide and Gaithersburg Service Center.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

anyone who has a manual tonneau that broke receive a replacement?

mine was broken upon arrival and i was told by my Guide it would be sent but then Rivian sent that email saying they were pausing shipping until they fixed the packaging issue. anyone receive their cover since then?

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Looks like shipments are resuming per the email that went out today from Rivian:

Good news! Manual tonneau cover shipments are resuming.

The packaging issue has been resolved and we now estimate that your manual tonneau cover will be shipped to the primary address in your account between 11/7/23 and 11/12/23.

No action on your part is needed at this time. Thank you for your patience.

Have questions? Don’t hesitate to reach out.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Anyone receive their manual tonneau since Rivian said it was updating its shipping/packaging?
The first delivery windows are 11/7-11/12.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

The first delivery windows are 11/7-11/12.
ok, i did not get the email. presumably because ive already received it though it was broken at shipping.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

so it turns out my replacement tonneau was delivered but i never got it. let me explain.

i happened to chat with my Guide and he was asking if the replacement tonneau had arrived undamaged and was working as expected. i was like, "huh?". i told him i didnt receive it and he said the system shows it was delivered a week prior. he confirmed it with UPS and even had a tracking number, though i never got an email. i asked around my neighbors and nothing. we have a doorbell cam but it doesnt see the driveway/garage so our best guess is porch pirates. ugh...

my Guide is going to see what they can do.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Christmas is coming early

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? IMG_4263

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
so it turns out my replacement tonneau was delivered but i never got it. let me explain.

i happened to chat with my Guide and he was asking if the replacement tonneau had arrived undamaged and was working as expected. i was like, "huh?". i told him i didnt receive it and he said the system shows it was delivered a week prior. he confirmed it with UPS and even had a tracking number, though i never got an email. i asked around my neighbors and nothing. we have a doorbell cam but it doesnt see the driveway/garage so our best guess is porch pirates. ugh...

my Guide is going to see what they can do.
Did you happen to have had a previous address ever entered in your Rivian account? That has been a big problem too - Rivian sending things to old addresses even long after people updated their profile.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Did you happen to have had a previous address ever entered in your Rivian account? That has been a big problem too - Rivian sending things to old addresses even long after people updated their profile.
good question but it was confirmed by the Guide and UPS that it went to the correct address.

Irish

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla
Occupation
retired
You'll see when you get yours that unfortunately the problem isn't the packaging, it's the cheap brittle plastic that they used for the edging, latch etc. and poor engineering. If something can't survive a trip to your house in a nice padded case, inside a cardboard box, it's not going to hold up well in the real world. Add in UV damage and subzero temperature and Rivian is going to be replacing a lot of these.

IMG_2449.jpeg
Hey broc, did you come across a fix or replacement for the broken clip. Something happened to me.

Sponsored

broc

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I just carefully drilled a new hole in plastic shaft for the clevis pin and reattached it like the original. Seems to work OK until inevitably breaks again. Rivian sent me a whole new cover which I might sell and put the money toward something better down the road.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Here’s the results of my DIY water seal test. It worked. Bone dry in the bed. This was after 3 days of rain on and off. I'm not expecting waterproof, especially if there's torrential rain, but if I can reduce water intrusion, I'm happy.

I used gaffer tape (easy to remove, no residue) to seal where the plastic edge connects to the aluminum slates. I just need to figure out what sealant to use to make it more permanent.

265485E1-F1D7-47F1-93F3-484F275BE460.jpeg

E4F14C10-862E-4E1E-ADF8-B62CBE14C2A7.jpeg

80A9E874-50B3-420F-8D5E-BAF564AD0DAC.jpeg

A15F82C5-5615-490C-AFB2-5986A8307EDE.jpeg
OK, been a while since i had a chance to "upgrade" from gaffer tape to a sealing compound. what i used is Permatex Adhesive Sealant. i think its a good compound for this application but the challenge was dispensing it. was hard to get an even, consistent line across the tonneau joints. i think there might have been a little shrinkage as well once it dried. due to both these factors, there are likely some gaps where water could intrude and my results with rain indicate this.

with light rain for a few hours it was good, kept things very dry, though a little less dry than the gaffer tape. with steady rain overnight, there was quite a bit of water in the bed so not great results.

i'm not sure yet if i'll try to put more of the same sealant to try to fill the gaps or try another sealant, like a spray on sealant.

sealant i used
Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 12.40.00 PM

light rain - a few hours
Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? IMG_6456

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? IMG_6457

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? IMG_6455

steady rain - overnight
Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? IMG_6352

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? IMG_6353

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? IMG_6351

here is what the sealant looks like.
Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? IMG_6491
Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? IMG_6487

Last edited:

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
Anyone STILL waiting for a tonneau cover??

They sent me the email but never actually sent me a tonneau cover. Guide says they now have no ETA.

WTF?

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Anyone STILL waiting for a tonneau cover??

They sent me the email but never actually sent me a tonneau cover. Guide says they now have no ETA.

WTF?
Isn’t almost everyone still waiting? FWIW, I don’t think the guides are in the loop on this issue. Not sure anybody really is. At least, that’s the impression I have gotten from my guide. My R1T delivery date was 9/12/23. I have not heard a word in 6 months. I contacted Rivian customer service a month ago. I was told to expect an email when the delivery was imminent. I was also told to call them again, if I didn’t hear anything within 3-4 weeks, and my order might be expedited. I haven’t called. Hopefully, by the time I get mine, they will have worked out all the bugs.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i finally got my replacement manual tonneau cover. for anyone interested, its the exact same materials and construction as the first one i received in June/July 2023 (broken). no change in latch or anything else that i can see. at least the bag is still the same high quality.
Sponsored