harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Hello.

I was trying to install the new sled from EV Sportline, and have run into an issue. One of my gear tunnel doors does not drop as low as the other. That being the case, when I pull out that sled, it scrapes down the trim on the inside of the tunnel door. One side has good clearance, the other does not. I have tried flipping the sled around 180 and putting the mat underneath it, but it still does not have enough clearance. Does anyone know how to make adjustments on the tunnel door? Appreciate any and all help....

Kevin

Rivian R1T R1S Help with EV Sportline Sled Install IMG_2906
Rivian R1T R1S Help with EV Sportline Sled Install IMG_2907

Rivian R1T R1S Help with EV Sportline Sled Install IMG_2908

Rivian R1T R1S Help with EV Sportline Sled Install IMG_2907
Sponsored

Last edited:

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

For now you may need to get some slightly longer m6 bolts and some washers to raise the sled hardware enough to stop the rubbing

eaa56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler, ecoDiesel, Audi e-tron
Occupation
Retired
Hello.

I was trying to install the new sled from EV Sportline, and have run into an issue. One of my gear tunnel doors does not drop as low as the other. That being the case, when I pull out that sled, it scrapes down the trim on the inside of the tunnel door. One side has good clearance, the other does not. I have tried flipping the sled around 180 and putting the mat underneath it, but it still does not have enough clearance. Does anyone know how to make adjustments on the tunnel door? Appreciate any and all help....

Kevin

IMG_2906.jpg
IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2907.jpg
Have the folks at EV Sportline been able to help ya? Because that sled system looks incredibly well made/designed.

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have the folks at EV Sportline been able to help ya? Because that sled system looks incredibly well made/designed.
They are aware and have their engineering people on it. No solution yet, however. :-(

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Reach out to @EV Sportline and I’m sure you will get a response on Monday when they are open. As mentioned above, you probably just need a few M6 washers is all, until you get Rivian to adjust their (what seems) way out of spec gear tunnel door! Not a crisis.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah - shimming it up is not an option, however. Shimming up one side, then lowers the other side and then you have the same issue on both sides. Shimming up both sides then creates an issue at the top so that the toolboxes would not clear.

Does anyone have any knowledge on adjusting the gear tunnel door height? Lowering it about an inch is all the clearance I would need.

Reach out to @EV Sportline and I’m sure you will get a response on Monday when they are open. As mentioned above, you probably just need a few M6 washers is all, until you get Rivian to adjust their (what seems) way out of spec gear tunnel door! Not a crisis.
[/QUOTE

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

They are aware and have their engineering people on it. No solution yet, however. :-(
Hey gang - we only got word of this late Friday from the customer, no one was working Saturday and Sunday.

The Rivian gear tunnel doors are adjustable and in this customer's situation the door sits unusually high (hinge is 'high' from factory, rare case where Rivian maxed it out). We just shot a quick video to explain how to adjust the door 'down'. It is a simple two step adjustment....first adjust the hinge down...then adjust the door up on the hinge frame, to take-up for the hinge drop. We will shoot a more proper video soon, but this quicky will work for now!

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks so much for the quick turn around! I really appreciate the effort. Was not meaning to sound complaintive at all if that is how I came off. Was just attempting to source information from anyone else that may know as well. Going to attempt today after work. Do you have any videos on trim removal as well?

Thanks again!

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Hey gang - we only got word of this late Friday from the customer, no one was working Saturday and Sunday.

The Rivian gear tunnel doors are adjustable and in this customer's situation the door sits unusually high (hinge is 'high' from factory, rare case where Rivian maxed it out). We just shot a quick video to explain how to adjust the door 'down'. It is a simple two step adjustment....first adjust the hinge down...then adjust the door up on the hinge frame, to take-up for the hinge drop. We will shoot a more proper video soon, but this quicky will work for now!

Wow, that was fast! ❤

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Word to the wise: do NOT attempt to adjust the gear tunnel door yourself. It doesn't fix the scratching, and you'll spend your entire evening removing more trim than you thought you could handle. Ask me how I know...

Rivian R1T R1S Help with EV Sportline Sled Install 1000010639

I'm resigned of trying to make this work.. I'm putting it back together and I'll follow up with more info later.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Word to the wise: do NOT attempt to adjust the gear tunnel door yourself. It doesn't fix the scratching, and you'll spend your entire evening removing more trim than you thought you could handle. Ask me how I know...

1000010639.png

I'm resigned of trying to make this work.. I'm putting it back together and I'll follow up with more info later.
Alright, here are the issues:

-You have to remove a couple PITA trim pieces
-Loosen a couple other trim pieces to access bolts for the necessary trim pieces
-Rivian installs these doors BEFORE painting so you break the "paint seal" when you attempt to adjust
-You can't always adjust the door "up/out" to fix the seal, not all have bolt slide openings
-Even if you can finally adjust the door height... It'll still scratch once you put weight on it.
-It takes about 90 minutes.

I'm going to try the "add washers" method of mitigating scratching, but having that much weight supported by the minimal surface area of 4 washers concerns me. A proper spacer plate would better distribute the weight.

Here's the "broken paint seal" I'm talking about
Rivian R1T R1S Help with EV Sportline Sled Install 1000010640

At least I got to lube up the door spring! And then I found this...
Rivian R1T R1S Help with EV Sportline Sled Install 1000010641

The paint looked funny, so I touched... And it flaked right off. I'm debating whether to put a ticket in for it, or just spray it myself. You can't see it anyway.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Alright, here are the issues:

-You have to remove a couple PITA trim pieces
-Loosen a couple other trim pieces to access bolts for the necessary trim pieces
-Rivian installs these doors BEFORE painting so you break the "paint seal" when you attempt to adjust
-You can't always adjust the door "up/out" to fix the seal, not all have bolt slide openings
-Even if you can finally adjust the door height... It'll still scratch once you put weight on it.
-It takes about 90 minutes.

I'm going to try the "add washers" method of mitigating scratching, but having that much weight supported by the minimal surface area of 4 washers concerns me. A proper spacer plate would better distribute the weight.

Here's the "broken paint seal" I'm talking about
1000010640.png

At least I got to lube up the door spring! And then I found this...
1000010641.png

The paint looked funny, so I touched... And it flaked right off. I'm debating whether to put a ticket in for it, or just spray it myself. You can't see it anyway.
Well, the washer method was faster and fixed one side, but made the other side worse, which makes sense: cantilever effect. On top of that, it ain't that easy to slip a couple washers underneath a heavy sled. Hindsight, I should've waited till after work tomorrow to use the reach stacker. Thankfully I had a long 2x6 nearby.

Again, I recommend a plate thicker than the washers especially after lifting the heavy ass sled, or just changing the base height. As is, they aren't manufactured to the right height for all users and require "adjustments" that not all users will be comfortable with.

Rivian R1T R1S Help with EV Sportline Sled Install 1000010645

Rivian R1T R1S Help with EV Sportline Sled Install 1000010644

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Well, the washer method was faster and fixed one side, but made the other side worse, which makes sense: cantilever effect. On top of that, it ain't that easy to slip a couple washers underneath a heavy sled. Hindsight, I should've waited till after work tomorrow to use the reach stacker. Thankfully I had a long 2x6 nearby.

Again, I recommend a plate thicker than the washers especially after lifting the heavy ass sled, or just changing the base height. As is, they aren't manufactured to the right height for all users and require "adjustments" that not all users will be comfortable with.

1000010645.png

1000010644.png
Did you reach out to the @EV Sportline team with your findings? What did they suggest, for your situation?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Did you reach out to the @EV Sportline team with your findings? What did they suggest, for your situation?
Working with them simultaneously, just posting my results so others can follow along in case they have the same issue. It's likely an early build problem, not a common one

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Working with them simultaneously, just posting my results so others can follow along in case they have the same issue. It's likely an early build problem, not a common one
I’m S/N 99xx. And you?
Sponsored