"Highway Assist unavailable until your next drive" Message from Driver +

nicus90

First Name
Nicu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
While driving my R1T and using Driver+ got this interesting message : "Highway Assist unavailable until your next drive".
Driver+ was not available for rest of the drive but enjoyed driving the truck

Rivian R1T R1S "Highway Assist unavailable until your next drive" Message from Driver + IMG_2822
Sponsored

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Happens if you don't respond to take over prompts quickly enough. Tesla does the same.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Happens if you don't respond to take over prompts quickly enough. Tesla does the same.
Huh. I wonder if I got put into some kind of permanent Driver+ jail and that is why my highway-assist is never available…

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

Revvian

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Audi Q7
Clubs

Driver assist keeps disengaging on freeways frequently to me too. It works initially when I enter the freeway but disengages immediately after 4-5 miles and then when I try to engage it back it says “Driver Assist is unavailable until your next drive”. So I took an exit, stopped the car in park mode and then entered the freeway and the driver assist works again but only lasts 4-5 miles again. This behavior is consistent with multiple freeways! Wonder if this gotta to do with my driving pattern, but then I am not an aggressive driver either :)

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Driver assist keeps disengaging on freeways frequently to me too. It works initially when I enter the freeway but then disengages immediately after 4-5 miles and then when I try to engage it back it says “Driver Assist is unavailable until your next drive”. So I took an exit, stopped the car in park mode and then entered the freeway and the driver assist works again but only lasts 4-5 miles again. This behavior is consistent with multiple freeways! Wonder if this gotta to do with my driving pattern, but then I am not an aggressive driver either :)
That message is the system punishing you for not taking over when requested. Driver+ isn't a hands free system and is pretty particular about hand placement- if you drive at exactly 9 and 3 the capacitive sensors have a hard time picking up that your hands are actually on the wheel.

If it actually is immediate and not after ignored warnings, I would have Rivian look at it.

Revvian

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Audi Q7
Clubs

That message is the system punishing you for not taking over when requested. Driver+ isn't a hands free system and is pretty particular about hand placement- if you drive at exactly 9 and 3 the capacitive sensors have a hard time picking up that your hands are actually on the wheel.

If it actually is immediate and not after ignored warnings, I would have Rivian look at it.
Thanks for the tip, I think I saw a msg asking me to take the control back before it disengaged but the thing is I always had my hands on the wheel, though don’t recollect whether at 9 & 3 positions or somewhere else, I’ll test it again later today and see if I can make it work/trick it by gently caressing my hands all over the wheel :-D

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the tip, I think I saw a msg asking me to take the control back before it disengaged but the thing is I always had my hands on the wheel, though don’t recollect whether at 9 & 3 positions or somewhere else, I’ll test it again later today and see if I can make it work/trick it by gently caressing my hands all over the wheel :-D
I have this issue much of the time, even with my hands at 10 and 2. If I tug on the wheel a little after the first warning it seems to work better, so I assumed it was looking for torque on the wheel, like my Mach E. I got the unavailable until next drive message recently after it warned me I was entering a tunnel.

I also need the firmware update for the steering wheel and driver seat memory, wonder if that is related to this. That is supposed to get fixed on Wednesday.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I put in a ticket for mine, it is very repeatable. I come to an interchange and it tells me to take control, my hands are on the wheel. Then it turns the message red and posts another message to use the stalk to turn off highway assist. Then it totally drops.

Rivian told me to push the hazard button for 5 seconds to record it, and I have done that twice. I have not heard back from them yet.

If I take my hands off the wheel, it warns me in about ten seconds, so I know the wheel sensors are working.

So, what exactly is the Rivian definition of “take control”.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I have this issue much of the time, even with my hands at 10 and 2. If I tug on the wheel a little after the first warning it seems to work better, so I assumed it was looking for torque on the wheel, like my Mach E. I got the unavailable until next drive message recently after it warned me I was entering a tunnel.

I also need the firmware update for the steering wheel and driver seat memory, wonder if that is related to this. That is supposed to get fixed on Wednesday.
It has only put me into "time out" once. As I was about to enter a tunnel in downtown Phoenix, a few weeks ago, it warned me to take control. I already had my hands on the wheel, so I figured it would just disengage the Highway Assist. It did disengage, but it also enforced a time out. I had to exit and stop, before it would allow me to use Highway Assist again. Next time I'll try tugging on the wheel (or if that fails, pressing up on the stalk). I have been so used to Highway Assist dropping out (which it does often, usually for no discernible reason), that it really took me by surprise that it decided to punish me on this occasion.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
It has only put me into "time out" once. As I was about to enter a tunnel in downtown Phoenix, a few weeks ago, it warned me to take control. I already had my hands on the wheel, so I figured it would just disengage the Highway Assist. It did disengage, but it also enforced a time out. I had to exit and stop, before it would allow me to use Highway Assist again. Next time I'll try tugging on the wheel (or if that fails, pressing up on the stalk). I have been so used to Highway Assist dropping out (which it does often, usually for no discernible reason), that it really took me by surprise that it decided to punish me on this occasion.
Mine did it at the same tunnel, then always at the Northern Parkway to Loop 303 interchange and at the Loop 303 to I-10 interchange. I either jerk the wheel to dump auto steering, or push up on the stalk to drop everything. If I just let it go and do nothing but keep my hands on the wheel, it drops everything and then locks me out. Plus you can fake it out with the turn signal, more manual action.

According to the manual, this seems to be the way it is supposed to work.

I am completely spoiled by Ford BlueCruise, it has three modes, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive with Lane Keeping (all roads), and completely hands free (mapped roads). All transitions in and out of the three modes are fully automatic and very smooth, never have to hit a button or switch, just enable the modes on the center screen as preferences. The Rivian system is terrible.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Mine did it at the same tunnel, then always at the Northern Parkway to Loop 303 interchange and at the Loop 303 to I-10 interchange. I either jerk the wheel to dump auto steering, or push up on the stalk to drop everything. If I just let it go and do nothing but keep my hands on the wheel, it drops everything and then locks me out. Plus you can fake it out with the turn signal, more manual action.

According to the manual, this seems to be the way it is supposed to work.

I am completely spoiled by Ford BlueCruise, it has three modes, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive with Lane Keeping (all roads), and completely hands free (mapped roads). All transitions in and out of the three modes are fully automatic and very smooth, never have to hit a button or switch, just enable the modes on the center screen as preferences. The Rivian system is terrible.
From what I've heard, BlueCruise is years (and years) ahead of Rivian's DriverPlus (and Highway Assist). I hope that Rivian will continue to improve it with OTA updates - that'll be something to look forward to.
I tried configuring a Ford Lightning, just to see what the cost for a comparable truck would be, but it got kind of complicated. However, if I understood correctly, BlueCruise was an extra cost option (or perhaps there were several levels of extra cost), whereas, with Rivian, all of it is included.
Sponsored