Jobiwan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical
I've been fortunate to be driving the R1T for about a week now and the only thing I truly wish was different is the horn. It sounds like a golf cart horn, IMO.

Does anyone know if there is a standard wired horn assembly in the R1T? Or is there a "horn-like" sound created from some software module?

I'd love to be able to replace the horn with a simple upgraded plug-and-play assembly with a deeper note if there is one to be replaced?

Thanks!
Agree; horn sounds anemic
Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
If anyone is brave enough to disassemble front fascia and whatever else, itā€™s most likely just a 12v horn that can be swapped out with a twin Hella Supertone or similar. Would likely need to upgrade the fuse.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
Yeah, you could easily do that. The fascia on my Mustang is all fibreglass so if I ding it = super expensive.
I put four horns on that and hid them. Simple set of two relays, and in the case of an R1 platform would probably put a diode in line on the +12vDC, just to ensure the original wiring is not subject to any random spikes.

2 pairs of horns, and get the second set slightly off frequency. People flip me the bird when I use it occasionally, but the R1's are expensive repairs, so totally worth it.

Nuclianba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Pacifica hybrid
Had a close call on the freeway 2 weeks ago, 99% sure the guy didn't even hear the horn on the truck. The single tone setup just didn't sit well with me, especially because its so easy/cheap to add a second tone and help things break through the traffic noise. Saw this threat but no documentation, so I filmed as I did my install to create a guide for others looking to do the same:

Luckily, adding a second high tone at 500 Hz is straightforward: $30 worth of stuff and ~1 hour of time.

WHAT I BOUGHT:
I went for a standard 400Hz/500Hz dual tone setup, using the current horn on the Rivian as the low tone. Don't buy a 400Hz horn...you already have this on the truck!
Horn: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VU51C6
Leads: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FVJR31Z
Connectors: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC8THCG8

BONUS: During the install I found the 12V wires in the harness for a 12V outlet in the frunk tub (recent builds don't have this outlet) on a summer 2023 truck. Future project!

Haven't had anybody almost merge in to me yet in traffic since, so can't say if it works any better, but I feel better! Hope it proves useful to somebody else.

Sponsored

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

One month ownership - first honk - felt like I was apologizing.
New super tones ordered. It was actually worse than my ā€˜12 Leaf - which my wife and I joked for the decade we owned it.

Last edited:

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

One month ownership - first honk - felt like I was apologizing.
New super tones ordered. It was actually worse than my ā€˜12 Leaf - which my wife and I joked for the decade we owned it.
Iā€™m ready - theyā€™ll hear me now!
Rivian R1T R1S Horn - Needs work! IMG_0669

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Here is my post video in this thread as well - It was a quick project indeed, just took my time and will revisit later, Iā€™m going to add the factory horn back into the mix and add the 12V back to the frunk as the wire is still in the harness in the frunk.

Sponsored

Nuclianba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Pacifica hybrid
Here is my post video in this thread as well - It was a quick project indeed, just took my time and will revisit later, Iā€™m going to add the factory horn back into the mix and add the 12V back to the frunk as the wire is still in the harness in the frunk.
Question: since adding my extra horn, I've noticed my new horn has a slight delay to start sounding. So if I tap the horn for a quick moment by basically punching the wheel, I get a small peep from the OEM horn and nothing from the new one, it just has a couple hundred millisecond delay to start sounding. How's the response time on the horn you bought?

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Question: since adding my extra horn, I've noticed my new horn has a slight delay to start sounding. So if I tap the horn for a quick moment by basically punching the wheel, I get a small peep from the OEM horn and nothing from the new one, it just has a couple hundred millisecond delay to start sounding. How's the response time on the horn you bought?
I noticed that in your video as well.

My OEM horn is completely(for now) disconnected - Iā€™m only using the two aftermarket horns which are coming on at the same time. So I cannot (yet) give you an observation as to the delay between the two.

I may hook the OEM back up eventually as I like how it still projects directly out the front.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I may have missed this but, is there an option to easily replace the existing horn? I'm fed up of being a laughing stock of my local community. With this purchase, I was trying to project a rugged outdoor persona but the horns really crimping my style.

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I may have missed this but, is there an option to easily replace the existing horn? I'm fed up of being a laughing stock of my local community. With this purchase, I was trying to project a rugged outdoor persona but the horns really crimping my style.
The process @Nuclianba and I did is pretty simple - he just tapped into the existing wiring to add an additional horn. While I am using the OEM wiring as a relay trigger to active the relay hooked up to two new horns and 12V power.

The hardest part of the whole thing for me was locating the new horns. The wiring was straight forward.

again - pointing to style; I now sound like a Subaruā€¦ so louder; YES - style; questionable šŸ˜‚
Sponsored

Last edited: