How I Know Cybertruck Pre-Orders have TANKED on Sales

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
I think they’re going down the entire reservation list to see who they can get to pay $100K - $120K for the Foundation series. Once they exhaust that list then they’ll start ramping up more and fulfill their other orders.

Tesla is trying to make up for all of the money they spent on R&D, new manufacturing processes, etc. over the last 4+ years. You can pass on the Foundation series, keep your place in line, and eventually get the CT that you originally ordered within the next couple of years.
Need some more detailed in instructions on how to make this work for the $39,000 Cybertruck I reserved at the announcement. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
The vast majority of those still wanting a Cybertruck are waiting for non-foundation pricing. $79,999 + $7500 tax credit is a lot cheaper than $100k for the Foundation Dual Motor. Tesla is trying to milk as many Foundation orders as they can.
I think this is exactly what is happening. So, so many people did not expect the CT to cost $100k. I did, but I was not in the majority.

Many of the reservation holders would definitely buy at a lower price. I do think it is smart for Tesla to sell as many as possible for $100k before offering a lower priced version. That's definitely what I would do.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I recently met a very nice lady that has a reservation for 12 Cybertruck’s.

She’s just waiting to take delivery until the full robotaxi service is available so she can turn them into a revenue generating business. She estimates about $400k to $500k in investment income from this.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say it’s gonna take a while for those 12 orders to convert.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

I recently met a very nice lady that has a reservation for 12 Cybertruck’s.

She’s just waiting to take delivery until the full robotaxi service is available so she can turn them into a revenue generating business. She estimates about $400k to $500k in investment income from this.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say it’s gonna take a while for those 12 orders to convert.
My dad had a reservation for 4 semis. His estate requested the deposits back. Best of luck to that lady's heirs. 😬

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
I also turned down Founders, will likely order sub 80k version CT after confirming that refreshed R1 lacks 800v, rear wheel steering , steer by wire or FSD comparable autonomy. These will become standard in a few years. I predict CT will outsell R1T by huge margin at sub $80k market. Very disappointed that refreshed R1 will be still behind CT technologically. Then there is Alexa…..😩

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I also turned down Founders, will likely order sub 80k version CT after confirming that refreshed R1 lacks 800v, rear wheel steering , steer by wire or FSD comparable autonomy. These will become standard in a few years. I predict CT will outsell R1T by huge margin at sub $80k market. Very disappointed that refreshed R1 will be still behind CT technologically. Then there is Alexa…..😩
Rear wheel steering is definitely not going to become standard in a few years. That's an extremely niche thing that makes a vehicle much more complicated and expensive to manufacture.

800V charging will be a great feature and will probably be standard eventually, but... the supercharger network doesn't support it, so for lovers of that network and anybody who relies on it in their area, 800V isn't particularly useful right now.

Also, I thought the Cybertruck's charging curve was fairly poor. Have they improved that? Otherwise it seems kind of silly (or maybe disingenuous, to pick the Cybertruck over a Rivian because of 800V charging that a) isn't useful at the VAST majority of charging sites and b) doesn't overcome a poor charging curve.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Early day 2 Cybertruck reservation holder.

I received my FS Cybertruck invite to configure on March 5th. Similar to roughly 97% of reservation holders I am holding tight.

Tesla is fairly deep into the reservation pool and I think conversion rates are dropping. Also, the FS trucks require a non refundable $1k deposit to order.

Tesla is going to milk every FS truck sale until the utters are dry.

I would entertain getting into a CT only if it sells for $79,900 and qualifies for the $7,500 tax credit.

Rivian R1T R1S How I Know Cybertruck Pre-Orders have TANKED on Sales IMG_0235

Last edited:

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
I may be mistaken, but I thought that the Cybertruck didn't have any "self-driving" features currently (even basic assisted cruise) and it's all just a promised future update like Rivian. Am I misunderstanding the current state of CT?

goodoljake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Management
ordered Dual AWD in December of 2019. according to the website you all are using I am 369,8XX in line and will get mine January of 2025. I received the email in mid-May from Tesla to arrive late this year, either version. I will not purchase either and would rather take the money and buy two used R1Ts.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I thought the Cyberyuck orders were down because 1 million pre-order holders just got glasses this year.

Sponsored

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
It was announced Tesla hit 1300 per week production rate which means demand remains pretty robust despite $20 k premium . Since Tesla only produces pre-ordered vehicles, run rate is a pretty good reflection of consumer demand. I have hard time believing Foundation series demand will last another 6 months or so.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It was announced Tesla hit 1300 per week production rate which means demand remains pretty robust despite $20 k premium . Since Tesla only produces pre-ordered vehicles, run rate is a pretty good reflection of consumer demand. I have hard time believing Foundation series demand will last another 6 months or so.
In the early days it was true they had a buyer for every build, not so much these days. Here is a recent article about their glut of built inventory.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
In the early days it was true they had a buyer for every build, not so much these days. Here is a recent article about their glut of built inventory.
That's kind of funny because the story is based on this photo which shows 465 cars parked in a lot:
Rivian R1T R1S How I Know Cybertruck Pre-Orders have TANKED on Sales 1718514826245-t9

However, Tesla makes over 5,000 cars every day. 465 cars is pocket change.

Last year the best-selling car in the world was the Tesla Model Y and it's on track for a repeat performance this year. But the media is falling all over themselves trying to pretend no one wants to buy a Tesla! :CWL:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Tesla is deep into the reservation que right now. TX owners claim that placing a $100K AWD FS order nets you a VIN the following day. It used to take weeks. This is proof that demand is dropping for the expensive FS trucks.

The conversion rate is estimated at 3-5%. Elon stated that non-FS trucks will start production in Q3 which has many reservation holders very exited.

My guess is that the majority of reservation holders are being patient for the $79,900 AWD version that may qualify for the $7500 point of sale tax credit.

https://electrek.co/2024/06/14/tesla-produces-1300-cybertrucks-per-week-foundations-series/

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Rear wheel steering was first brought to market in 1985. Back then, they said it would be standard on every vehicle in a few years.

Chevy introduced rear wheel steering on trucks in 2002. Back then, they said it would be standard on every vehicle in a few years. It was dropped in 2006.

Many manufacturers have introduced it and dropped it. See the pattern? Rear wheel steering is not going to be a standard feature in a few years. Same with steer by wire.
Sponsored