Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2023 M3P, 2021 Audi SQ5
Occupation
CISO
Clubs

I know a bit off topic but Rivian support says that I cannot configure a new R1T until the fall when the configurator will open back up. I have to choose from existing vehicles until then. Seems flaky.
That's because they are retooling the factory and orders are on hold. Nothing flaky.
Sponsored

OP
OP

MMRivian

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW Ix M60
Nah.... But you might get some strange looks.

PXL_20230707_180003269.MP.jpg
Funny one. Assuming this is not a photoshop, have you successfully charged with this generator which is not an inverter gen set?

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
It looks like if you fully charge up before leaving, you could get to Tampa, Gainesville or maybe even Jacksonville. 30 mph is about the ideal speed for range. So, if you kept a slow speed with minimal AC, you might even make it to Georgia with a max pack.

I only lived in Melbourne for 10 years, but it seems very unlikely for more than half of Florida to be affected by a hurricane. I had flooding in my subdivision during one hurricane that hit us directly, but it took less than a day to free us.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2023 M3P, 2021 Audi SQ5
Occupation
CISO
Clubs

Funny one. Assuming this is not a photoshop, have you successfully charged with this generator which is not an inverter gen set?
It's not Photoshop. I was delivering the unit, not using it to charge. I still got a lot of snarky comments.

I have a 24kw Generac at home that I charge both EVs with during outages however and it works great. Because those units only have 2 stages it makes sense to dump the excess power into the vehicles. I have three battery banks in the house that I also dump power into from the generator.

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
OP-lots of good advice here. To add, do as much research as possible and craft a good plan. I actually got rid of my sports cars and got the Rivian because it is a good emergency vehicle. Keep in mind, if you do get stuck at home, the Rivian battery can also provide power. You might want to consider setting up the house for that. My plan has always been to head out early and go to a pre-determined destination. I have a bug out bag and a list of essentials. All the best.

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Never seen a line at an EV charger
What?!! Where do you live? In ICE country?

Here in CA, there’s ALWAYS a line at all my local Tesla superchargers at any random day and time of the week I go. And, this is without any other car brand having charged in these locations. I can’t imagine what it would be like with non-Teslas charging as well.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

Probably the biggest practical consideration is where you normally evacuate to.

If your typical evacuation plan is to go to a family home 150 miles inland, you’d be fine.

If your typical plan involves a 500 mile road trip, you might have some line issues. But you also may have options for hotel L2 charging if you’re assuming a low-speed treck away from home.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I'm in Central FL and the last few hurricanes have knocked out gas stations more than power.
Huh? No power to the pumps is what knocks out gas stations.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited, R1S Launch Green
Clubs

Huh? No power to the pumps is what knocks out gas stations.
No there was power around me but gas stations ran out of gas before the hurricane hit and gas is transported by those tankers and roads are often a mess with branches/trees and partially flooded so they don't get refilled for a few days.

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
No there was power around me but gas stations ran out of gas before the hurricane hit and gas is transported by those tankers and roads are often a mess with branches/trees and partially flooded so they don't get refilled for a few days.
Hmm....okay. I've never experienced not being able to find gas since there are so many gas stations everywhere. That's why I was thinking that the only issue would be if power was knocked out and they couldn't pump. Gas shortages around here have never been a thing, at least since the 70s when it was a nationwide issue.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited, R1S Launch Green
Clubs

Hmm....okay. I've never experienced not being able to find gas since there are so many gas stations everywhere. That's why I was thinking that the only issue would be if power was knocked out and they couldn't pump. Gas shortages around here have never been a thing, at least since the 70s when it was a nationwide issue.
People freak out and line up before the hurricane. Every gas station is like Costco and often run out a day before the hurricane hits. Grocery stores are mad houses also.

There are dozens of gas stations around me. I guarantee the next hurricane they will be out of gas and not refilled for 2-3 days after the hurricane (assume it brushes past like the last two).

I had power the entire duration the last two hurricanes and the EYE passed right over me. It was quite serene actually lol.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Florida's problem for fuel is they have to drive down the peninsula. They can't source it from three or four directions like other places in the US. Evacuation generally means people are driving the opposite way the tankers go, depleting stations on the way north.

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
Love this thread!

We too got the Rivian (at least in part) for resiliency purposes. Climate change going to keep throwing wilder and wilder weather at us.

So many reasons I'd recommend the Rivian over anything else, but I think "fueling" up fully at home with energy you can control has to be the biggest one of them all. (driving at night will help a ton with the air conditioner needs) 400+ miles so so easy at slower speeds.

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

It's not Photoshop. I was delivering the unit, not using it to charge. I still got a lot of snarky comments.

I have a 24kw Generac at home that I charge both EVs with during outages however and it works great. Because those units only have 2 stages it makes sense to dump the excess power into the vehicles. I have three battery banks in the house that I also dump power into from the generator.
Next time someone asks, tell them it is perpetual motion machine.

And let is know how they respond. 🤔
Sponsored