Sponsored

Installing EV Sportline Running Boards this weekend, what do I need?

shashmi324

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Hey all,

I’m installing my running boards from EV Sportline this weekend. Given that my car is a lease and I am unsure if I will buyout (depends on how much issues the car truck gives me), I will be taking off the plastic panels and not making any cuts.

Given that info, my question is what tools would I need for the job to make my life easiest. Temps are in the 20s this weekend so I am hoping to get this done quick.

I saw in other posts recommendations for a longer breaker bar.. also a TP55 bit, is that really all? I don’t have much in terms of tools but am willing to purchase.
Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

The Torx Plus bit is provided, and it fits into a socket (I'm not sure what size but it's a standard size from any socket wrench set). I used a standard 1/2 drive socket wrench. Installed the rock sliders on both my R1S and R1T. No breaker bar necessary. Just use your muscles. Once I backed out the bolt with the socket wrench I switched the bit over to an impact gun to speed up the process.

The directions also called for some silicone sealant and thread locker, but that was for the rock sliders. I think the running boards don't need that.

citizen

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, RX350h
Occupation
Product Designer
Clubs

WhidbeyIsland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Lexus RX350 & 2023 R1T
Occupation
Retired!
I am receiving my EVSportline running boards today, so this is helpful to me as well... thanks for the comments.

Sponsored

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

The Torx Plus bit is provided, and it fits into a socket (I'm not sure what size but it's a standard size from any socket wrench set). I used a standard 1/2 drive socket wrench. Installed the rock sliders on both my R1S and R1T. No breaker bar necessary. Just use your muscles. Once I backed out the bolt with the socket wrench I switched the bit over to an impact gun to speed up the process.

The directions also called for some silicone sealant and thread locker, but that was for the rock sliders. I think the running boards don't need that.
Do you have pics of the R1S install? Thinking about it but wondering about real world experience putting them on.

-Darren

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Not having to cut the panels saves having to source the 4" hole-saw or some other method to cut slots.

Bonus points if you have a torque wrench to use to tighten the TP55s so you can hit the 80 lb ft (or whatever the latest spec is...)

brandtr1t

First Name
Brandt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tiguan
Occupation
Software
I installed these last weekend (the running boards).

All went well and I left the plastic bottom panels off, but plan to reinstall them after cutting slots with a Dremel.

One word of caution - if you use a breaker bar to loosen the chassis bolts, make sure you are turning the right direction. It is totally possible to strip the chassis bolts out with a breaker bar. I almost did it by turning the wrong direction. Yes I am a moron, but maybe this will save someone.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

are the jack points still useable?
In short, jack points are usable without any issue.

The front bracket installation location is not near the front jack point.

The rear most bracket installation location is near the rear jack point and if you are cutting the 4" circle to access the bracket mounting. bolts, make sure you first move the rear jack point cover out of the way first.

If you are removing the panel, then its a non-issue.

Sponsored

68wske

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Challenger Scat Pack Widebody
Occupation
RN
I used a 6 point 11mm socket for the TP55 they sent

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
In short, jack points are usable without any issue.

The front bracket installation location is not near the front jack point.

The rear most bracket installation location is near the rear jack point and if you are cutting the 4" circle to access the bracket mounting. bolts, make sure you first move the rear jack point cover out of the way first.

If you are removing the panel, then its a non-issue.
I plan on cutting the slots.
What you're saying is the rears, I'll have to permantly keep the rear jack point covers off?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I plan on cutting the slots.
What you're saying is the rears, I'll have to permantly keep the rear jack point covers off?
In my case, the rear jack cover is still there and closed. There is a lip and a catch to secure the cap on the underbody panel. When cutting into that section, just make sure you don't cut that part out.

If you use the pattern provided by the EASportsline, you should be ok. but make sure you check before committing to cutting the hole.

itripn

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi E-tron, R1S Adventure (Compass Yellow)
Occupation
CTO
Do you have pics of the R1S install? Thinking about it but wondering about real world experience putting them on.

-Darren
installed mine a few months ago and love them. More importantly my 5'’3” wife loves them :)

Rivian R1T R1S Installing EV Sportline Running Boards this weekend, what do I need? IMG_3055