First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Mud and stuff could get into them for sure!
Sponsored

BrookeRRiv

Site Sponsor
First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Customer Service at EV Sportline
Does the final design include any holes that aren't slide on so there isn't a chance of it flying off the truck if someone forgets to fully tighten the bolts?
Yes, it does include holes for bolting in. No worries of it flying off the truck! :CWL:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, it does include holes for bolting in. No worries of it flying off the truck! :CWL:
Thanks, it looked like all of the bolt holes are slide in such that you loosely thread the bolt and then slide the slider (ha) onto the bolts. The question popped up from a few people who saw the picture yesterday. Excited to see a close to final version!

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

As @madgrey said, it's the needless weight. Other things people mentioned - price and availability. Most people don't need the protection of sliders. Jacking is not an issue, you can still jack at the OEM points. Also, the holes (for lack of better words) along the inner edge I'd imagine used to cool and protect the main battery that the sliders exposed is an issue. There is a picture somewhere that shows this when panels were taking off for the install.

What you are referencing is the RUS plate. It's only got holes because it's an extrusion design which balances weight (ie cost) to strength. Those holes are not otherwise functional, they do not cool the battery. The non-RUS vehicles just have a plastic plate there (no aluminum extrusion), gapped to the underside for impact and vibration reasons.

Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
What you are referencing is the RUS plate. It's only got holes because it's an extrusion design which balances weight (ie cost) to strength. Those holes are not otherwise functional, they do not cool the battery. The non-RUS vehicles just have a plastic plate there (no aluminum extrusion), gapped to the underside for impact and vibration reasons.
I understand RUS is to protect the battery pack even if it's not designed for cooling, the exposed sides of the plate is still a no go for me, there to collect dirt if I have the RUS. I'm just mentioning this since the people who do sliders are the people who also do RUS.

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I understand RUS is to protect the battery pack even if it's not designed for cooling, the exposed sides of the plate is still a no go for me, there to collect dirt if I have the RUS. I'm just mentioning this since the people who do sliders are the people who also do RUS.
Yes, understood - everyone has different feelings about the dirtiness underneath. We're happy to have a few options, so everyone can get comfortable, depending on each individual desire.

Based on what we've seen, if you go off-road and get the truck dirty, the covers do very little to block dirt intrusion. If you are generally on the street and rarely dirty, you won't get much dirt exposure, with or without covers. There are other gaping holes in the underside of the Riv (around the suspension in particular), which are effectively open / exposed too.

Lots of misunderstanding and misinformation about the outer plastic panels floating around in general. Understandable, since they didn't exist on trucks pre-EV. The plastic panels exist for aero purposes, not for dirt blocking.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thanks, it looked like all of the bolt holes are slide in such that you loosely thread the bolt and then slide the slider (ha) onto the bolts. The question popped up from a few people who saw the picture yesterday. Excited to see a close to final version!
Wouldn't the slide in bolt holes (all of them here) weaken the mounting somewhat? Maybe have half as slide in for easier mounting and half as full round holes for strength.

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Wouldn't the slide in bolt holes (all of them here) weaken the mounting somewhat? Maybe have half as slide in for easier mounting and half as full round holes for strength.
Gang, rest assured, this Rock Slider is far stronger than the Rivian unibody subframe structure it is attached to. Then it's bolted on with an excessive overkill qty of bolts too. You can go full-tilt bouncing down the nastiest of Moab rock formations in full confidence.

.....and as Brooke mentioned, this is a pre-production part, not the final part. It was shared just to give a glimpse of what the part will generally look like!

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yes, understood - everyone has different feelings about the dirtiness underneath. We're happy to have a few options, so everyone can get comfortable, depending on each individual desire.

Based on what we've seen, if you go off-road and get the truck dirty, the covers do very little to block dirt intrusion. If you are generally on the street and rarely dirty, you won't get much dirt exposure, with or without covers. There are other gaping holes in the underside of the Riv (around the suspension in particular), which are effectively open / exposed too.

Lots of misunderstanding and misinformation about the outer plastic panels floating around in general. Understandable, since they didn't exist on trucks pre-EV. The plastic panels exist for aero purposes, not for dirt blocking.
Yes, I'm good on the running boards with covered panels installed. I'm going to have rubber plugs covering the holes on the panels.

Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Gang, rest assured, this Rock Slider is far stronger than the Rivian unibody subframe structure it is attached to. Then it's bolted on with an excessive overkill qty of bolts too. You can go full-tilt bouncing down the nastiest of Moab rock formations in full confidence.

.....and as Brooke mentioned, this is a pre-production part, not the final part. It was shared just to give a glimpse of what the part will generally look like!
From the look of it, no doubt it's strong!👍 I'm just thinking that holes are even stronger to reinforce the subframe :).

Edit - BTW, aren't the Rivians body-on-frame and not unibody?

Last edited:
OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

From the look of it, no doubt it's strong!👍 I'm just thinking that holes are even stronger to reinforce the subframe :).

Edit - BTW, aren't the Rivians body-on-frame and not unibody?
Eh, it's called a frame but it's more of a layered sheet metal structure (with varying thicknesses of sheet metal in areas), than traditional 'frame'. It's unique, very "EV". But, nothing like a traditional say F150 'frame' and 'body'. The F150 Lightning, by comparison, just looks like an old fashioned 'frame' underneath.

have a look here: that gray metal is all 'frame'-ish:
Rivian R1T R1S Introducing RMaxx Running Boards & Rock Sliders for Rivian R1T / R1S from Team 1EV Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 2.35.43 PM

Here is F150 Lightning (with our sway bar prototype :) )....looks like a regular F150 frame:
Rivian R1T R1S Introducing RMaxx Running Boards & Rock Sliders for Rivian R1T / R1S from Team 1EV Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 2.52.10 PM

Last edited:

netjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Yes, I'm good on the running boards with covered panels installed. I'm going to have rubber plugs covering the holes on the panels.
What type of rubber plugs have you found that will work w/ the cutouts?

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T