Amateur musician now. Retired
Clubs

Cus' it's fun.

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
Agree with others. Quad will stay, Bosch will go and Enduros will be used. But I love my QM Bosch.

Also, the in car tech (eg hardware) is outdated annually, if not more frequently, so the “I am afraid it will be outdated” concern is unavoidable. But, at least you get legit OTAs with Rivian and Tesla.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Bosch has been making electric motors for a very long time and is as reliable as it gets. At this point, I prefer having the Bosch motors in my truck because I know they’re as good as it gets. I expect the Enduro motors to prove high quality and reliable as well, but Bosch’s track record is exceptional.
This is my understanding as well. In the long (enough) range everything will change. But, right now Bosch it is and it's a good thing.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I’d assume Rivian can’t just drop in the existing enduro for the quad since it’s the wrong size, so they’ll need to design a new motor.

Since I would think pretty few orders are quad and they make less money on them, I wonder if Rivian might just gradually phase out the quad altogether instead of go to the trouble to put a new supply chain together. From the company that discontinued its own signature color, I wouldn’t be too surprised.

Sponsored

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

From the company that discontinued its own signature color, I wouldn’t be too surprised.
We all know they phased out Compass Yellow since so many of “our wives” wouldn’t let us get the color….

/now back to other rumors and assumptions!!

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I’d assume Rivian can’t just drop in the existing enduro for the quad since it’s the wrong size, so they’ll need to design a new motor.

Since I would think pretty few orders are quad and they make less money on them, I wonder if Rivian might just gradually phase out the quad altogether instead of go to the trouble to put a new supply chain together. From the company that discontinued its own signature color, I wouldn’t be too surprised.
I speculate otherwise. For sake of manufacturing efficiency, I expect them to keep everything at the chassis side the same, i.e. design around the very same mounting points (and even driveline angles). The current duals are done the same way and each individual Enduro motor is more compact than the Bosch motors. Why waste time and $ redesigning the chassis if they don't need to? In doing so, the Enduro Quad Motor units should just bolt right on. But, if EQM is tied to 800V architecture and new network based electronics, then all that would have to get swapped out too (so it'd be a complete rebuild instead of a simple "engine swap"). I suspect EQM to be even more capable off-road than Bosch Quad Motor and would have room for the bolt-on low-range differential (patent filing). But that's probably years away from now. I think their primary focus right now is R2. A successful R2 launch would fund lots of exciting things, including continued support and enhancements for existing BQM (to sustain customer loyalty).

Last edited:

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

....and each individual Enduro motor is more compact than the Bosch motors. ....
Agree for the most part, except:

I believe each Enduro drive unit is lighter and smaller than the Bosch twin motor drive unit.

The Enduro single motor is larger than a single Bosch motor; hence, putting in quad Enduro will require reconfiguration of the body frame and body itself to accommodate, if today's Enduro is used.

Each Endro produces more power and torque than a single Bosch motor used for the quad.

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
While Rivian will switch away from Bosch to keep with the vertical integration philosophy, QM is the halo, higher margin variant. It will get better in the next iteration and likely pricier, but Its here to stay as the topdog R1 variant.

Sponsored

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
The Enduro single motor is larger than a single Bosch motor; hence, putting in quad Enduro will require reconfiguration of the body frame and body itself to accommodate, if today's Enduro is used
It's also possible that they'll just make the quad motor variant of the enduro design that's just a little smaller.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
It's also possible that they'll just make the quad motor variant of the enduro design that's just a little smaller.
The enduro motor in the dual configuration has an added shell to fit the space of the quad, but it’s actually not as big

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Actually, checking my photos... The top is the dual Rivian Enduro, the bottom is the Bosch quad. The motor parts are about the same size. I didn't get the perspective right when I took the picture to have a direct comparison. So, it's very possible they could fit the same motor in the same size packaging as the Bosch Quad.

Rivian R1T R1S Is Bosch Quad going away? PXL_20230822_184909796

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Also, this was the harness from a 2022 R1T. This should be simplified in the 2024 refresh.

(I have pictures of most of the Rivian components from visiting Munro & Associates. They had only recently gotten a sample of the Enduro unit to tear down, which is why I got some pictures of that too.)

Rivian R1T R1S Is Bosch Quad going away? PXL_20230822_193326250
Sponsored