Sponsored

Issues with a portable charger throwing an error code...recommendations on a new one?

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

I have a place in the mountains that has a 40Amp circuit. I purchased a portable charger from Amazon about a year ago. Worked great...for about ten months. However, the last few times I have used it, it charges for about 10 minutes then the RIvian throws a charging error...sometimes it restarts, sometimes it doesn't. I, of course, keep the Rivian portable charger in the truck, so it's not that big a deal to swap it out. However, being the paranoid sot I am, I really want to keep one charger at the cabin and rely on the Rivian only as a backup.

When I check to see warranty info on the charger, by clicking on the Amazon order, the product name has changed and when I go to the company's website, it wants me to call China for support. Uh...no thanks.

So, I have a two part question. FIrst, are there any thoughts on what may be the issue and an easy fix? (For jollies sake, I took it home and plugged it into the outlet my ChargePoint uses and got the same results.) Second, should I just toss it? If so, what do people recommend for a portable charger? (I know I can get another Rivian portable charger, but since I keep it at the cabin, I don't see the need to pay for the case and logo)

Thanks
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have a place in the mountains that has a 40Amp circuit. I purchased a portable charger from Amazon about a year ago. Worked great...for about ten months. However, the last few times I have used it, it charges for about 10 minutes then the RIvian throws a charging error...sometimes it restarts, sometimes it doesn't. I, of course, keep the Rivian portable charger in the truck, so it's not that big a deal to swap it out. However, being the paranoid sot I am, I really want to keep one charger at the cabin and rely on the Rivian only as a backup.

When I check to see warranty info on the charger, by clicking on the Amazon order, the product name has changed and when I go to the company's website, it wants me to call China for support. Uh...no thanks.

So, I have a two part question. FIrst, are there any thoughts on what may be the issue and an easy fix? (For jollies sake, I took it home and plugged it into the outlet my ChargePoint uses and got the same results.) Second, should I just toss it? If so, what do people recommend for a portable charger? (I know I can get another Rivian portable charger, but since I keep it at the cabin, I don't see the need to pay for the case and logo)

Thanks
I use this one at my places, lots of options, can plug into NEMA 14/50 or hardwire, decent app, supported out of Colorado.

Iā€™ve had one almost 3 years and the other one close to 2 years. One is hardwired one is plugged in.

Osyras

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
not an EV
Clubs

I would e-waste it and buy a proper known brand that has support and warranty There are all sort of tear down jobs on china based electronics on youtube where they are missing critical fail safes etc.

Danny

OP
OP

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

I use this one at my places, lots of options, can plug into NEMA 14/50 or hardwire, decent app, supported out of Colorado.

Iā€™ve had one almost 3 years and the other one close to 2 years. One is hardwired one is plugged in.
My question is for $400, why not just go with the Rivian? Advantage of Rivian is single source for any issue identification and resolution. I don't need the other plug options, so any other advantages to this one?

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

Thanks
The Rivian portable charger is junk. Virtually every portable charger made in China that you can get on Amazon is junk. Use it your own risk.

I highly recommend Tesla, or Clipper Creek, for a quality portable charger. The advantage of the Tesla is that you can augment it with the NEMA kit, and charge from any outlet anywhere in North America. It will also check and monitor the quality of power input, and adjust accordingly, to keep your charging going.

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
My question is for $400, why not just go with the Rivian? Advantage of Rivian is single source for any issue identification and resolution. I don't need the other plug options, so any other advantages to this one?
Seriously, the Rivian mobile charger is junk. Use the one you got for free, but never buy one.

The unit has zero line test ability, errors out at the slightest problem (simply does not work in Mexico) and is made with the cheapest Chinese parts.

Have you ever seen cheaper plastic than the thin brittle stuff they built the J1772 end out of?

ugg.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
If you are referring to the mobile charger that comes with the Rivian you could use it but the NEMA 14/50 plug is not really designed for a lot of plug cycles. I just keep the portable ones that came with my vehicles in them in case I need one.

If referencing the Rivian wall charger it is more expensive than the Emporia. Here is a review on the Emporia charger, it is rated pretty well.

Good luck with whatever direction you go.

Proxy

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Occupation
Professional
Iā€™ve been using a Clipper Creek for 9 years and Tesla for 6 years. Will go with those brands again if these ever fail.

OP
OP

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

If you are referring to the mobile charger that comes with the Rivian you could use it but the NEMA 14/50 plug is not really designed for a lot of plug cycles. I just keep the portable ones that came with my vehicles in them in case I need one.

If referencing the Rivian wall charger it is more expensive than the Emporia. Here is a review on the Emporia charger, it is rated pretty well.

Good luck with whatever direction you go.
I am referring to the mobile charger. A permanantly mounted one is problematic. It only gets plugged in when we are up there and used to charge overnight before we head back home. In total, used fewer than 50 times a year, so not really worried about the plug cycles.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software