Sponsored

MrMusAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analyst
Makes sense that they intend to offer post-sale installations for people who don't already have the powered tonneau. If they have to completely disassemble the truck bed, and then just slot in the replacement tonneau, might as well make money off it.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Makes sense that they intend to offer post-sale installations for people who don't already have the powered tonneau. If they have to completely disassemble the truck bed, and then just slot in the replacement tonneau, might as well make money off it.
Seeing the labor involved does seem to me to justify the charge for the retrofit. But it is unfortunate that some of us were forced to delete it off to take delivery.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Seeing the labor involved does seem to me to justify the charge for the retrofit. But it is unfortunate that some of us were forced to delete it off to take delivery.
That entire thing I understood from a Rivian end of things, but taking delivery in the no powered tonneau window sucked. Then getting the manual one 7 months later, just reaffirmed my desire for the convenience of the ptc.

Joseph D

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
GIS Analyst
Clubs

I'm with you. My truck was produced 1 week after they stopped making trucks with the PTC. Was removed from my configuration and they notified me afterwards. So already in the bummed camp from that, as it was one of the features that I was looking forward to having, even if it broke and I got a new one later. At the time the charge was $1,800 and now they are $1,500 on a new truck.

I agree that an additional charge is not unreasonable, I really hope they offer it for 2-2.5k cause any more than that seems crazy to me knowing the price they are charging for new ones and even for the end of the last gen trucks they were marking the PTC down.

Sponsored

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

What a crazy amount of steps to replace a windshield! I'm hoping R2/R3/Gen2 will get a lot easier in the serviceability factor.

Somewhat unrelated, but I recently had to change out a 12V battery on an ICE vehicle. Pop the hood, loosen some bolts, swap the 12V battery, and retighten. That's about as hard anything should be to self-service a vehicle. Watching videos on the 12V replacement process for Rivian looked unnecessarily complex.

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Somewhat unrelated, but I recently had to change out a 12V battery on an ICE vehicle. Pop the hood, loosen some bolts, swap the 12V battery, and retighten. That's about as hard anything should be to self-service a vehicle. Watching videos on the 12V replacement process for Rivian looked unnecessarily complex.
Where I work in LA, people pop their hood, remove the battery and then take it inside the house with. That insures that they will still have it to start their car in the morning... :confused:

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Are we able to place an order for a PTC yet (for Gen 1)?
There have been reports of people doing this. You'll have to ask service and be prepared to drop some coin.

Hereforthesnacks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Where I work in LA, people pop their hood, remove the battery and then take it inside the house with. That insures that they will still have it to start their car in the morning... :confused:
That’s why I always carry around a few extra car batteries. I’m getting your car, suckers!!!! 😂

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Was that a Compass Yellow dumpster in the background?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

how about that windshield replacement?! They had to take apart half the front end. How we would expect Safelite to ever handle that, I have no idea.

it was really neat to get a peek inside some of these processes though. I do think there are changes to the new PTC that he didn’t mention. It seemed to me that the tracks were also redesigned to better resist yaw motion of the slats.