Sponsored

Just reserved a Volvo EX30 for the wife

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Not trying to persuade anyone from dropping any R1 reservations. At first I thought we were going to hold out for an R2 for the wife (who knows, maybe we will someday), but this thing looks too good to be true! The price is excellent.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/EX30-electric/

I figure it can't hurt to put down the refundable deposit. Value proposition is strong. I've driven a polestar and generally liked it.

Maybe next year we'll be a full EV household.
Why the EX30 and not the ID4? I also want an R2 for my wife but we're gonna test drive an ID4 this week.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Can I just remind everyone that you are reserving a first generation vehicle made in China?

I'm sure it will have 0 gremlins, especially considering the 0 gremlins that other first generation vehicles have.
Yeah, but they're making a ton of Volvo/polestar EVs in china now. My friend as a xc40 and loves it. I've driven a polestar with no complaints.

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Why the EX30 and not the ID4? I also want an R2 for my wife but we're gonna test drive an ID4 this week.
Nothing about the ID4 excites me, and I've owned 3 VWs in my life.

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340, Tesla M3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

Can I just remind everyone that you are reserving a first generation vehicle made in China?

I'm sure it will have 0 gremlins, especially considering the 0 gremlins that other first generation vehicles have.
China or not, all first gen vehicles are going to have issues.. just like our Rivians do

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
Very appealing little car for the price, could even be a GTI replacement. But then I see it only has a center display.. Ugh. Not a driver oriented vehicle, that's a deal killer for me.

It can tow 2000 lbs, enough for a tiny camper trailer maybe, but that's less than the Model 3/Y which I believe can do 3000 ?

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

China or not, all first gen vehicles are going to have issues.. just like our Rivians do
Agree that there will be some issues but in all likelihood many less. Most new cars do not have wheel alignment issues for example. I am concerned with the number of vehicles that need to go back to service centers multiple times for a whole range of issues - typically assembly issues. I have more confidence in an established manufacturer getting those right first time in much greater numbers.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
Agree that there will be some issues but in all likelihood many less. Most new cars do not have wheel alignment issues for example. I am concerned with the number of vehicles that need to go back to service centers multiple times for a whole range of issues - typically assembly issues. I have more confidence in an established manufacturer getting those right first time in much greater numbers.
Well, if you're going to go there ... where does that confidence in an "established manufacturer" leave Rivian?

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Just did a bit of research, for all the naysayers for Volvo being made in china (in general I'm MIC avoidance), but the Geely group manufacturers over 2M vehicles per year, and 20k BEV vehicles per month. Probably more BEV vehicle then that now (that figure was January 2022).

I don't love the MIC part, but its a tempting and good looking vehicle.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Well, if you're going to go there ... where does that confidence in an "established manufacturer" leave Rivian?
Good question. It has led me to put my order on hold until some of the issues like wheel alignment are fixed because I don’t look forward to potentially multiple visits to the Brooklyn SC over 2.5 hours away.

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Good question. It has led me to put my order on hold until some of the issues like wheel alignment are fixed because I don’t look forward to potentially multiple visits to the Brooklyn SC over 2.5 hours away.
I've had zero alignment issues.

Actually I've had zero issues outside delivery defects that have been fixed (minus the wait for the tonneau being a bit silly).

This forum can be a echo chamber at times...

Sponsored

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I think it’s a very compelling vehicle. I like the idea of one bigger EV for family outings and a smaller/cheaper/shorter range vehicle for around town trips.

It would pair nicely with the Rivian.

I think Volvo is going to do very well in the new EV world. They’re building a very compelling lineup across vehicle sizes.

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Not trying to persuade anyone from dropping any R1 reservations. At first I thought we were going to hold out for an R2 for the wife (who knows, maybe we will someday), but this thing looks too good to be true! The price is excellent.

I figure it can't hurt to put down the refundable deposit. Value proposition is strong. I've driven a polestar and generally liked it.

I've had my eye on one for a while now, you just convinced me and I also put down my $500 deposit on one.
I will trade my wife's 2018 Audi SQ5 in on it when it become available. I will drive my Rivian, my wife this Volvo and I gave my Model Y to my kid! So were a total EV family!

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I've had zero alignment issues.

Actually I've had zero issues outside delivery defects that have been fixed (minus the wait for the tonneau being a bit silly).

This forum can be a echo chamber at times...
Thanks for your feedback, it is good to hear a completely positive experience. Most people here joined before they got their vehicles so they didn’t join just to complain and the number of people as well as the wait times at SCs do indicate quite widespread issues but glad yours was good.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

We had the XC40 Recharge and sold it back to the dealer after 10 months. It wasn't the greatest experience. Within 2 months of ownership, the tCAM went out twice and one time it stranded me at work. The FOBS never worked correctly and remember our individual settings. I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'1" and it would either save her settings and I had to adjust the seat or mine were saved and she had to.

I really hope they improved upon it and fixed some of the bugs in the system. When we charged to 100% I would barely get 190 miles on a charge and I am NOT a lead foot either.

Best of luck with it.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My first year made in China Polestar 2 has had far fewer issues than my R1T.
Sponsored