Guards Red Car

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Porsche Taycan, Tesla Model Y, Mini
Occupation
Physician
I wish that we could have a simple equation

Just allow the reservation holder to factor in these variables to yield an estimated delivery time

I would be very flexible on many of these variables if I knew that these selections would accelerate the production and delivery of my Rivian
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
So what happens when everyone switches to glacier white? That "delivery date" would be a very large window, right?

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Just allow the reservation holder to factor in these variables to yield an estimated delivery time

I would be very flexible on many of these variables if I knew that these selections would accelerate the production and delivery of my Rivian
Even if we did have something like that, a bunch of people who seem focused on speeding up their delivery over all else would flock to a new “fast delivery“ configuration which could effectively change the equation.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

So what happens when everyone switches to glacier white? That "delivery date" would be a very large window, right?
I think @SeaGeo said it more efficiently than I did. Definitely faster than I did! :)

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
I think the best we can hope for are things like "Ocean Coast won't be in production until Fall." If there are other options that supply is absent for it'd be nice to know but there are so many variables otherwise that the chaos caused by a bunch of modified configs might make planning worse.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

The problem is a lot of people will.

It's like opening a new checkout line at a Costco. You'll get maybe a handful of folks who will go earlier, but the majority will still be left in a really long line trying to decide if they'll buy a hotdog after they checkout.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yeah, frequent config updates just makes it harder for Rivian to schedule production and manage supply chain because we keep moving the target on them. Then they have to deal with supply chain problems which then encourages more config updates. It's a vicious cycle.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Yeah, frequent config updates just makes it harder for Rivian to schedule production and manage supply chain because we keep moving the target on them. Then they have to deal with supply chain problems which then encourages more config updates. It's a vicious cycle.
Maybe they will do as other companies do and essentially lock your order at the time of reservation. It is ridiculous that people are still switching between R1T LE and their R1S Adventure reservations. BMW would let you quickly switch your X5 order for a 5 series with no consequence. They really need to get to locking down configurations sooner (easier to do when more are out and more hubs opened so an assessment of color selections can be made). This will help them schedule better.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe they will do as other companies do and essentially lock your order at the time of reservation.
I have a feeling (completely unsubstantiated) that this was part of the impetus for getting configurations and PBAs out a bit earlier recently. It seems like they're trying to get configurations confirmed a bit more in advance, and I suspect they'll continue to push that further out.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

You need to add a the "location" factor to your equation as location plays a non-trivial role in the whole process.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
You need to add a the "location" factor to your equation as location plays a non-trivial role in the whole process.
Yep, I think we've clearly seen how important it is to have access to service for these earlier builds.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

I was thinking on this a bit and while I agree it'd be great to know it's unlikely Rivian is sandbagging their production estimate by much, unless they're trying to get sued by shareholders. The 15k R1Ts or so that will be built this year started going out Jan 1 to X date. X date may be 12/31 or it could be sometime earlier. There are going to be many lucky folks that are in an ideal area near a service center that get their vehicles but as far what's been announced we're still working with that pool of 15k vehicles.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Even if we did have something like that, a bunch of people who seem focused on speeding up their delivery over all else would flock to a new “fast delivery“ configuration which could effectively change the equation.
The equation must include location and pre order date!

Your place in line is dynamic! Better location and ealier pre order date will jump ahead of you given the same configuration.

For those of us with late pre orders and don’t live near a SC but have the ideal configuration for delivery we will have to wait. Keep in mind that about 15k R1s are it for 2022 provided most things go smoothly. When will battery supply run out? Wiring harnesses, chips, other?

Folks at the very head of the line will get their vehicle but folks at the middle to end of line have to consider long delays given the global state of supply vs demand of batteries for example. This will affect ALL OEMs.

Last edited:

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

Correct. I asked Rivian about my Deliv. date and they explicitly said, location is a factor.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T

I suppose that kind of alignment by customers would slightly simplify and bring more accuracy (if not also precision) to the delivery window estimates for Rivian.

But it would be very sad:
Sponsored