Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Guys, I just needed to share this. Considering all the "doom & gloom" lately, another post about Rivian's software architecture reminded me of this screenshot a few days ago in one of the Chevy forums:

Rivian R1T R1S Look what others are paying for software updates 1708715455933

There was dozens of comments but long story short this guy's truck needed a software update, updates weren't covered by the warranty, and it was going to cost him $341.69.

Imo if their software is at fault they should fix it for free. And probably push it out to all the trucks, whether they've started experiencing the issue or not. Meanwhile us over here at Rivian are getting free software updates pushed OTA every month that actually improve our vehicles.

So as much as we like to complain, at least we aren't getting routinely bent over because of software issues entirely beyond our control. 😆
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Guys, I just needed to share this. Considering all the "doom & gloom" lately, another post about Rivian's software architecture reminded me of this screenshot a few days ago in one of the Chevy forums:

1708715455933.png

There was dozens of comments but long story short this guy's truck needed a software update, updates weren't covered by the warranty, and it was going to cost him $341.69.

Imo if their software is at fault they should fix it for free. And probably push it out to all the trucks, whether they've started experiencing the issue or not. Meanwhile us over here at Rivian are getting free software updates pushed OTA every month that actually improve our vehicles.

So as much as we like to complain, at least we aren't getting routinely bent over because of software issues entirely beyond our control. 😆
I've got the hardware to do updates on GM vehicles, but don't keep my licensing active. $45 for 24 month access for a VIN and $64 for 3 days access into the tool. Of course not knowing the issues are solved in a software update that exists is an entirely different problem. You could just look and see that there are updates available, and apply them, but there's some risk involved in doing that as I've found out before.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rivian should use this information to charge $341/ year for CarPlay:idea:

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Rivian should use this information to charge $341/ year for CarPlay:idea:
If Tesla went this route Elon would probably change the price from $341.69 to $420.69 per year.

Sponsored

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Good perspective to keep. Rivian is in the top 2 auto companies out there when it comes to software. Huge advantage moving forward.
Sponsored