Sponsored

OverEasyGoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Wrangler, '23 R1S, '79 Scout, R2 Reserved
I've been keeping an eye out for backseat cupholders (an R1 shortcoming) and was so happy to see the picture you included of the water bottle in the rear door!

Also, the subwoofer in my R1S is severely underpowered but the R2 doesn't appear to have one at all. I'm sure there will be changes from this prototype but I sure hope they've hidden it somewhere else or will offer a premium sound model.
Sponsored

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
As a M3 owner, the manual frunk does not bother me. It is quite nice because it is one more thing that cannot break. However the cheap-looking seats are a bit concerning.
Agree on the Frunk.

I agree with, but also laugh at the "cheap looking seats" comment in comparison to a model 3/Y.
Rivian R1T R1S My First Time Seeing The Rivian R2 @ Electrify Expo Orlando! Including Pictures!! 1710775771227-mm

AA_Rivian_Socal

First Name
Alaa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green R1T Adv. / BM / 20 AT
Occupation
management
Clubs

up close, overall it is a really good vehicle. lots of space for your travels. design looks amazing. cannot wait to see it in person myself.

OP
OP
TigerEyeJazz

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
up close, overall it is a really good vehicle. lots of space for your travels. design looks amazing. cannot wait to see it in person myself.
Agreed! Looks really good! Found myself wanting to stay at the Rivian Booth instead of going elsewhere.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
I heard someone say they should have used a 4695 cell for the R2’s flashlight since that’s the cell size they’re using in the new vehicles.
Yeah, but that would make a girthy flashlight. Some people might like that though...

Sponsored

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
I heard someone say they should have used a 4695 cell for the R2’s flashlight since that’s the cell size they’re using in the new vehicles.
A friend who was involved in the original flashlight design commented on the cell size mismatch given the new battery pack design. The current flashlight does seem like a practical size for the purposes of a handy light to grab for impromptu use. Maybe the new cell is an opportunity for an entirely new and bigger flashlight that will be sold through the gear shop as an adventure accessory?

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Thanks for sharing, OP.
2 thoughts:
1) Does the driver screen say 3.12 m/kWh? That's dreamy... :involve:
2) LOOK AT HOW BIG A BOTTLE FITS IN THE DOOR! Watch out Ford, we're going to win some people back over that WATER BOTTLE HOLDER FIASCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Does anyone know if the portable charger/hand warmer in the passenger door is the same dimensions as the flashlight? And the same as the R1's? Would love it if they were interchangeable between vehicles. When I get an R2, I would use the charger/handwarmer in my truck more often then I do the flashlight.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
God forbid a YT video title doesn't contain the words:
GAME CHANGER!
DISRUPTOR!
MOST AMAZING EVER!
GAME OVER!
EPIC!
FAIL!

OP
OP
TigerEyeJazz

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
Thanks for sharing, OP.
2 thoughts:
1) Does the driver screen say 3.12 m/kWh? That's dreamy... :involve:
2) LOOK AT HOW BIG A BOTTLE FITS IN THE DOOR! Watch out Ford, we're going to win some people back over that WATER BOTTLE HOLDER FIASCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3.12 was definitely very prominent and really seemed they weren’t afraid to show it.

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I think it’s a cost cutting measure, like removing the air suspension. They’re trying to balance the overall cost and think logically about usage. Most people would need help opening the trunk if they’re carrying something, but could shut it manually when their hands are free. I’m not saying a closing frunk lid wouldn’t be great. It would just require more hardware that would cost more money to make.
Here's the thing. Cost cutting doesn't make sense when you pass the cost to the consumer. Generally, if it is something the consumer wants, they are willing to pay for it. What power up, manual down does is potentially reduce complexity.

I am willing to pay for something that isn't a half-baked instantiation of something that would otherwise be very useful especially since people across brands have been clamoring for a power frunk when they actually have usable frunk space.

Nobody is asking for a power up but manual down feature.

If you are going to have a mechanism to open the frunk, how much more complexity are we talking about here vs. value gained to go the whole way?

Especially given how many other fully powered features they added to the R2 including the power sliding tailgate glass. As far as I know, you don't have to crank it back up again after it powers down.

Also, given how flimsy the R1 hoods are - the last thing we want to be doing is manually handling the hoods and forcing them down to latch because the power frunk is half-baked.

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
TigerEyeJazz, do you know if the wood-grain area on the front dash was real wood or a simulated wood (plastic)?

Thanks for focusing in on some details of the vehicle.

There are a lot of things I like about the design, but one thing I haven't heard anyone comment on is the flat area of the rear hatch when the window is rolled down. Very handy spot to set a phone, drink or other items. And I'm interested to see more about the ledge that folds up there as well.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
What size Yeti Rambler bottle is that? I'm really happy to see the space specifically designed for a large bottle. My Q5 had a similar space, and it was VERY handy not just for larger water bottles but also for larger cups, stashing some trash quickly after an on-road meal, and other things.

srh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, R1T reserved
3.12 was definitely very prominent and really seemed they weren’t afraid to show it.
Note the 3.99 average to the right though. That's getting close to the epa rated m3 standard numbers I believe. I get real world 4.67 in my m3 standard range so if that 3.99 is accurate that's huge.
Sponsored