Sponsored

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
Not sure about the lemon law as the truck is functional. Although, after getting it back, the the right side mirror no longer moves. It's also now stuck with a failed firmware update that will not let me restore saved seat and mirror settings.

They did give me a new loaner that had never been used.

It did not have the paint issues but also pulled to the right and got stuck in turtle mode after the first few days.

Not sure what to do. If I can get them to replace it, the new one may have issues too and would not and never have the auto tonneau.

This has for sure sucked all the fun out of getting a new vehicle.
Lemon law doesn't require the truck to not be functional, just give you power if they can't fix something covered under warranty after reasonable attempts to fix it, usually 4. The car simply being away from you as often as it has been can also be implied there is something overall defective with your build as a whole.

If this continues for months the power tonneau might return, or you can work into the replacement with Rivian giving you an IOU on the cover since a replacement would in fact be without it.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If this continues for months the power tonneau might return, or you can work into the replacement with Rivian giving you an IOU on the cover since a replacement would in fact be without it.
I don't think Rivian can be forced to provide an IOU on the cover. If you successfully use lemon laws to force a buyback, they'll give you money and you can choose to buy another Rivian -- but you would have to pick from what's offered, at the time, afaik.

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
I don't think Rivian can be forced to provide an IOU on the cover. If you successfully use lemon laws to force a buyback, they'll give you money and you can choose to buy another Rivian -- but you would have to pick from what's offered, at the time, afaik.
Then it would be Rivian replacing the truck with no cover and a cash refund on the option not on the truck, which is where you might be able to negotiate the cover IOU (not stating they'd have to replace it with a truck that has a cover).

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Then it would be Rivian replacing the truck with no cover and a cash refund on the option not on the truck, which is where you might be able to negotiate the cover IOU (not stating they'd have to replace it with a truck that has a cover).
AFAIK, it's two separate transactions.

You'd get a refund on your purchase (based on purchase price) plus fees/taxes/penalties.

You'd then purchase a new vehicle @ current prices.

Unless you're a douche canoe with a YouTube channel, I don't think Rivian will negotiate with you on options/pricing.

Reactions: Guy

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
AFAIK, it's two separate transactions.

You'd get a refund on your purchase (based on purchase price) plus fees/taxes/penalties.

You'd then purchase a new vehicle @ current prices.

Unless you're a douche canoe with a YouTube channel, I don't think Rivian will negotiate with you on options/pricing.
A part of the Lemon Law is refund or replacement, manufacturer doesn't get to decide.

Rivian R1T R1S My Rivian R1T Repurchase / Buyback Experience & Replacement 1675883200498

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
A part of the Lemon Law is refund or replacement, manufacturer doesn't get to decide.

1675883200498.png
They’re not required to replace with something they don’t make anymore.

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8

1675883200498.png
This can apply if the car has been in the shop for 30 days, not necessarily conse
Correct, they would replace it with an R1T with no cover as I stated before and refund you for the option cost.

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
Rivian wouldn't be able to say we can't replace your truck because we no longer offer the powered tonneau cover therefore you're required to take a payout and repurchase.

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It’s going to be the third time service will be working on my gear tunnel doors not opening correctly and third time for severe rattling/noise from the passenger seat. Seems like they just want to chalk all this up as normal
And be done with it, but it’s def not normal and quite annoying.

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
They just sent a "Congratulations on your R1T reservation!" email without contacting me. Not sure what my options are. Thinking I should take the out and just get the money back. :(

Sponsored

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Rivian treated my buyback as a trade-in. It was not a lemon, nor a traditional manufacturer buyback. I'm assuming they did this so the title wouldn't be branded. My old truck would be used as a loaner or service/fleet vehicle.

Regarding the transaction, my guide added a new configuration to my Rivian portal, where I could pick whatever options I wanted. At that time, the news for powered tonneau was out and I couldn't configure a new truck with powered tonneau. I COULD select a prebuilt unit on the ground in Normal that had a tonneau, but none existed matching my new desired spec.

I know of a few people being able to navigate this process, but I'm assuming the purse strings have been pulled tighter for 2023, and we're going to see less buyback processes started, unless there an abundance of issues upon delivery. I also think they were lenient on this last year because they were trying to "deliver" as many units as possible.

If you truly want a new vehicle, press hard. If your vehicle was delivered with issues, or has a retention of issues that cannot be resolved by service center visits, you have a decent case for a buyback & replacement.

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
Rivian treated my buyback as a trade-in. It was not a lemon, nor a traditional manufacturer buyback. I'm assuming they did this so the title wouldn't be branded. My old truck would be used as a loaner or service/fleet vehicle.

Regarding the transaction, my guide added a new configuration to my Rivian portal, where I could pick whatever options I wanted. At that time, the news for powered tonneau was out and I couldn't configure a new truck with powered tonneau. I COULD select a prebuilt unit on the ground in Normal that had a tonneau, but none existed matching my new desired spec.

I know of a few people being able to navigate this process, but I'm assuming the purse strings have been pulled tighter for 2023, and we're going to see less buyback processes started, unless there an abundance of issues upon delivery. I also think they were lenient on this last year because they were trying to "deliver" as many units as possible.

If you truly want a new vehicle, press hard. If your vehicle was delivered with issues, or has a retention of issues that cannot be resolved by service center visits, you have a decent case for a buyback & replacement.
The service center told me that a buyback had been started but they had nothing to do with that and someone would contact me. I've not heard anything but they did send an "Welcome to the Rivian Family" email.

Last edited:

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier

P.S.
Did they say anything about just returning the truck and not moving forward with another one?

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
They are giving me the option to simply return the truck. Not gotten R1 Shop access yet and don't know how long it would take and if I'd still have the 7 days on a new one. It's tempting to try again but with all the issues and the removal of options/features I'm not sure what to do.

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
@connoisseurr
So, you did the trade in. I am doing a buyback and they are showing two different amounts as the buyback amount. One $3000 higher. Is that the delivery charge maybe? It seems they should both be the same.
Sponsored