Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Yes, R1S should be on same wheel base as R1T with R2 coming out. The ride comfort and extra leg room would make a lot of our friends at least compare a R1S in cross shopping. With the large sports participation, larger families, and long drives needed for my area the R1S is too small.
Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I guess the cars seen on the road were mostly for an influencer marketing event.
No production deliveries for "3-6 months" (so … 24'Q4) and '25 for the Plaid-like quad-max.
Rivian Marketing for the L once again.
A good video from JerryRigs, but doesn't mention the price hike or the long lead on production.

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EVs since 2014 | R1S | R2 RSVP
Occupation
Engineer || Investment Manger
Clubs

Just noticed refreshed R1S are available to configure on Rivian website. https://rivian.com/r1s
1717698144347-6e.png
I've been on the site all day lol. They don't have the leasing options for the TriMax yet, but for the rest they do. Interesting. Probably because the TriMax is the last to be released?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
That charge door alignment though…that’s Gen 1. 😂

Sponsored

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EVs since 2014 | R1S | R2 RSVP
Occupation
Engineer || Investment Manger
Clubs

As long as the a R1S is shorter, no chance for real max pack. Originally the plan was to put extra modules where the 3rd row footwell was, and in the T, extra modules "behind" the existing pack. But Rivian can't make two additional physical footprint batteries and an additional R1S 5 seat trim. Nor do I think they should at this point with limited cash on hand. Can't believe I'm saying that.

For a refresh refresh, they should extend the S to match the T chassis and then do 1 additional for-realsies-max-pack option (physically larger battery pack) that fits in both without modification to the interior.
I'm also thinking they could offer the R1S in the R1T chassis and add rear-wheel steering to all wheelbases as an option. GM and Ford just keep on selling their long wheelbase SUVs, same technology from the 90s and similar mpg.

Some buyers need the land yacht and are paying for $5 gas at 18mpg and rarely drive further in one day than would require a single supercharger stop for 30 minutes … and would never need to "find cheap gas" again.

But the R1 isn't the production volume Rivian needs, so I assume this refresh is all about lean manufacturing and cutting the loss per unit.

They rushed the R1 to market, which turned out to be the right move. Now it has to make do till the R2 builds the business.

Personally, I'm on the fence about the R1, but the R2X is a slam dunk (assuming they actually execute and deliver and don't feature-delete and de-content, which is why I'm not all on board with the R1.)
Yes, R1S should be on same wheel base as R1T with R2 coming out. The ride comfort and extra leg room would make a lot of our friends at least compare a R1S in cross shopping. With the large sports participation, larger families, and long drives needed for my area the R1S is too small.
Bingo. Having a larger R1S (extended / XL) variant would be ideal for all the reasons mentioned and more.

The R1S is quite small inside and for those who do need a land yacht like a Denali XL/Suburban, a Rivian wouldn't even be cross shopped for a large family.

I'm really looking forward to the EV variants of the Denali XL. It's coming and the truck variant is already real.

All in for an 8 seater and 200+kWh pack land yacht Denali XL EV. Hopefully in 2025 sometime.

For now Rivian is a great stop gap.

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I've been on the site all day lol. They don't have the leasing options for the TriMax yet, but for the rest they do. Interesting. Probably because the TriMax is the last to be released?
Interesting that the Tri has a $3000 deposit vs $1000 for the rest.
Sponsored