Sponsored

zfischer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter, 1250GSA, R1S
I just want them to enable the superchargers and software in the R1 ... I'm happy to buy an adapter, and they are available already.
Someone who bought an A2Z adapter should try a listed supercharger after downloading this update. You know, for science.
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Someone who bought an A2Z adapter should try a listed supercharger after downloading this update. You know, for science.
I'm sure someone will on day one when Rivian announces they are open to the superchargers.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Well, we know it'll work then. But what if it works now?
You could be the first to try it. I doubt that it will work until officially turned on. I know some Ford owners tried different EVs but they didn't work. Not sure if any were a Rivian.

Rainman

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Taycan
One of the content creators tried it on an R1 and it did not work.

Sponsored

zfischer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter, 1250GSA, R1S
You could be the first to try it. I doubt that it will work until officially turned on. I know some Ford owners tried different EVs but they didn't work. Not sure if any were a Rivian.
I can't because I don't have an adapter.

I don't know what "officially turned on" means. At least in this case ;).

Perhaps you do. 🤷‍♂️

People tried Rivians when the network opened to Ford and it didn't work. Before the most recent update. What we know is that vehicles need and OTA update in order to operate. I would assume Tesla also needs to flip a switch. My whole point is that someone with an adapter should try SINCE this most recent update and BEFORE the official announcement. For kicks.

Anyway....back to your regularly scheduled programming.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
Which is the best 3rd party adapter to buy? I mean obviously there's no track record for any of them since they never worked until now, but are any brands more high end or trustworthy than the others?

niknokseyer

First Name
Niknok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer
They've also confirmed they're going to change something about the battery packs. But it's possible that's already been done as they've started-ish to deliver Standard+ battery packs.

The updated pack design, could be just minor improvements, or it could be a redesign of the cooling, or it could be 800V switched for charging, or it could be better cooling and a heat pump or {insert your hopes and dreams here}. We haven't heard any good rumors about any battery pack updates.

I feel like of the things we've seen on the R2/R3, I think the steering wheel is the most likely visible feature to get ported to the R1 as soon as possible. I say that because it seems like it'd have the least impact of other parts if the size and airbag is the same. Handling how the buttons work would be pretty easy to handle via SW config. But, we have no way of knowing how for along they are on their production of the new steering wheels. They had clearly put a lot of time into the development and calibration of the control wheels, but that doesn't mean that they've started production yet to include them in the R1 in April/May.

The other thing that I think might happen is the autonomous driving features could be upgraded. We've seen camo'd R1's with cameras on the side mirrors, just like the R2/R3. It's possible they're trying to commonize the vehicle electronics ahead of R2. That could include vehicle network (very likely), infotainment and driver display computers (seems likely to me), ADAS (possible), heat pump (doesn't seem as related), 400/800V (???), ...

The R2 is also going to use the 4695 batteries. That's all but confirmed not coming to the R1. So, it's possible that even if the R2 had 800V, that the R1 wouldn't get that. In fact, maybe the R2 tri-motor is so fast because it is running 800V.

I will also say that Rivian is generally pretty good about under promising and over delivering. (Better than most.) See the R3 and R3X as examples. The sell off of demo vehicles seems like the R1 refresh could be enough different that they want a different set of vehicles ready as examples.
Sad that a different discussion got merged on this thread.

Anyway, I do see Rivian as opposite of Tesla in its promises. That’s why I have my reservations as well.

Alieti

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I4, Rivian R1S
My A2Z adapter just shipped today. As soon as Rivian and Tesla turn it on for our cars will try it out.

and Tesla definitely turns it on for the specific manufacturer. Either with specific vins etc, so the chargers know you have a Rivian.

Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I'll use my Ford one as supposed to get in April and I'm sure that will get here well before Rivian unit.

iforbes

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
APRN
Clubs

My A2Z adapter just shipped today. As soon as Rivian and Tesla turn it on for our cars will try it out.

and Tesla definitely turns it on for the specific manufacturer. Either with specific vins etc, so the chargers know you have a Rivian.
I thought only the Rivian supplied adapter will work on the Tesla chargers?

Alieti

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I4, Rivian R1S
A2Z also said they are working on getting official certification to be an official adapter.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Anyone who finished the download yet, can you comment on results? Smooth sailing? Any issues?
Sponsored