C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S
Occupation
RNS
Hello,

Took delivery of my R1S in January 2024. Sat in my garage for three weeks waiting for full XPEL and Opti-Coat Pro+ ceramic coating.
This week, I noticed a small paint bump, ~ 0.25 in. on the rear passenger-side door below the door handle.
I would appreciate if you could let me know what you think this might be, or perhaps some of you have noticed this in your Rivians also.

The background:
The PPF and ceramic coating were done by what I consider a master installer. Should see his shop, nothing but high-end cars waiting for him to do his PPF magic, as close to perfect a PPF install as it gets.
My R1S was fine for a while. About a week ago, I discovered the bump. It had not seen it before, and I check my R1S constantly.
In my mind, this was just a bubble developed in the PPF and was actually thinking of ignoring it or having my PPF installer take a look at it whenever, no rush, no care.
Was in his neighborhood today and decided to stop by and have him look at it for a really quick fix. One of his master assistants came out to take a look at it first. "Buddy, this is no bubble. It is a good thing you brought it in!," his first words upon checking it out. Feel it, he said; it is hard, it almost looks as rust like what you see in older cars, and told his boss that he had to come "see this." Uh-oh, alarm bells went off in my head.
Both of them are scratching their heads. Could not believe that it would be rust, but that something definitely is going on, and IT IS NOT the PPF or because of it (taking that with a grain of salt). At any rate, he suggested that I take it in for them to remove film off the door and determine what is going on before I contact Rivian.
The PPF installer comments:
" We will not need it overnight or anything like that. Our plan is to just remove the film off of that door and see what we can find. After you left I was thinking back about a situation that was similar to that. But it was a custom car and whoever built it put a screw through the door panel on the inside, and the point of the screw was resting against the inside of the door skin. Eventually started working its way through with Rust. It was the screw that was rusty. I am quite curious about what is going on with your Rivian. I have never seen it on a modern vehicle."

Again, I would appreciate your insights, and will update this as needed. Thank you.

Rivian R1T R1S Paint Defect, Rust, What Is Going On!? R1S BLEMISH1

Rivian R1T R1S Paint Defect, Rust, What Is Going On!? R1S BLEMISH2

Rivian R1T R1S Paint Defect, Rust, What Is Going On!? R1S BLEMISH4

Rivian R1T R1S Paint Defect, Rust, What Is Going On!? R1S BLEMISH3
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Door skins are aluminum, so not rust.

OP
OP
bigsky

bigsky

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S
Occupation
RNS
Thank you. Yeah, figured that out myself after posting this. Will know by next week what the issue is.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Are you positive that isn't something translucent on top of the paint? Sap or something similar?

I had what I was convinced was a paint defect that turned out to be just some sap that removed with some water and elbow grease.

OP
OP
bigsky

bigsky

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S
Occupation
RNS
As much as I would love to think so, this bump feels like something under the PPF. Did work on it for a bit, no change. I had found two sort of similar spots sort on the frunk edge, but those came right off.
Crazy!

Sponsored

Rivox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P
That looks like someone damaged it, and tried to use touch up paint on it. Possible you missed it when you got it? Or have you had service work done, thats 100% a touch up.

OP
OP
bigsky

bigsky

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S
Occupation
RNS
It does look like that, does it not!?
I went back looking for photos post PPF install. Do not see anything resembling this. Will post them

OP
OP
bigsky

bigsky

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S
Occupation
RNS
That looks like someone damaged it, and tried to use touch up paint on it. Possible you missed it when you got it? Or have you had service work done, thats 100% a touch up.
I have looked at photos I took since delivery and after PPF install. I just don't see anything like this bump in the photos. Crazy!

OP
OP
bigsky

bigsky

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S
Occupation
RNS
I just don't see anything resembling this bump in photos taken since delivery, most of them after PPF was installed. I would have noticed it had it been there before. Please take a look at them, perhaps you might see what I am not seeing. This is very strange!

Rivian R1T R1S Paint Defect, Rust, What Is Going On!? Screenshot_20240523_165210_Gallery

Rivian R1T R1S Paint Defect, Rust, What Is Going On!? Screenshot_20240523_165627_Gallery

Rivian R1T R1S Paint Defect, Rust, What Is Going On!? Screenshot_20240523_165638_Gallery

Rivian R1T R1S Paint Defect, Rust, What Is Going On!? Screenshot_20240523_165801_Gallery

Rivian R1T R1S Paint Defect, Rust, What Is Going On!? Screenshot_20240523_165821_Gallery

Sponsored

Rivox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P
Yea I dont see anything on the delivery photos, and even though aluminum doesnt rust. It doest completely rule out the possibility of corrosion. Which Ive heard has a higher chance when you wrap a vehicle because it can hold in moisture.

I would take it to a an auto body place you trust and just let them look at it to see what they think.

For refernce, here is a picture of hood corrosion an aluminum hood. Look at the smaller bubble to the left. It could be similiar to what your seeing.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/attachments/p4140727-jpg.336529/

OP
OP
bigsky

bigsky

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S
Occupation
RNS
Well, I'll be...
The bubles in the link photo you provided, that's exactly what it look l;ike on mine.
Thank you very much. Going in on Wednesaday. Appreciate it.

OP
OP
bigsky

bigsky

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S
Occupation
RNS
Update 5/24: my professional PPF installer, being stumped by this, told me to take it to him today. He peeled PPF off the door in less than a minute. A close inspection revealed the worst case: it looks like corrosion under the paint (sigh).
Contacted Rivian and filed a case. Sent photos, the whole works. I got a scheduled appointment at the closest Rivian center, 300 miles away on October 4 for inspection, LOL.
With that in mind, I decided to look up Rivian-certified collision and repair shops near me. Found one in the next state over, some 50 miles away.
Drove over and had the experts look at it. The verdict: "Buddy, paint is bubbling up on your door"!!!
It is corrosion. Covered under warranty. The shop will start the paperwork and repair process. Beats driving to my closest Rivian SC.
Will wait to see how Rivian will respond. The concern here is not so much that the repair is covered under warranty. Rather, it is the PPF. The repair shop informed me that the PPF will need to come off the rear panel because of the need to color blend the repainting, and possibly the PPF off the passenger door will need to come off also, which means the RIVIAN emblem I bought to replace the original one when PPF was installed comes off, too. That is $450 I gave Rivian for it. I hope Rivian realizes that it has to own up to replacing and fully covering the 10-mil PPF I had installed on my beast plus the RIVIAN letters for the passenger door. Will cross that bridge when I come to it.
In all, I thank all of you so very much for your great insights and feedback.
In the grand scheme of things, I have been very fortunate with my R1S. It has been flawless, no issues at all other than this cosmetic one. I will take this any time over the nightmare functional issues others have faced.

Will keep you updated. Thank you.

Rivox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P
I'm glad I could help point you in the right direction, however now I'm upset I was right. At least now you know whats wrong and you can get it fixed. Let us know the progress.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
I'm glad I could help point you in the right direction, however now I'm upset I was right. At least now you know whats wrong and you can get it fixed. Let us know the progress.
Yes, that's surprising.

Do any Rivian experts/fan boys know what aluminum alloy the door skins are made of?

I know it's recycled aluminum, I wonder if the raw materials had a chunk of iron in it (could have been introduced when the sheet aluminum was being rolled to thickness). Alternatively, it could be an iron chunk/flake introduced during the stamping of the panels.

If it's not iron, but actual aluminum alloy rusting, that could only mean an electrolysis problem.
Sponsored