First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
physician
I’m posting this while in a tow truck with my month old R1t on the back on our way from Long Beach, Washington to the service center in Tualatin, Oregon.

The truck has less than 1000 miles on it. We were cruising around Long Beach yesterday enjoying the weekend and we were in heavy traffic on the main 2 lane road through town when a warning light flashed saying there was a parking brake malfunction and to service immediately. By the time I read that warning, then stopped for traffic in front of me about 10 seconds later I felt the wheels lock up (rear I’m assuming) just as I was coming to a stop. Truck then went in to park and would not shift out of park.

I was now blocking traffic, so we called Rivian service while I tried a hard reset, and my wife called police to let them know we were stuck in the road. Hard reset did not solve the problem, still stuck. Rivian service answered right away and said if the hard reset did not work we would need a tow, so she started working on getting a tow truck.

I went in to the settings and tried to put it in tow mode to release the parking brake so we could push it out of traffic, but each time I tried it would indicate tow mode was active and start counting down the timer for 15 minutes, but 2-3 seconds later it would deactivate and definitely could not push the car.

Police showed up and started directing the traffic jam we were causing. With no other option at that point I just started messing with other settings hoping something would change. I was in sport mode at lowest ride height so I changed to all purpose standard and went back to try tow mode and to my surprise it worked that time! I felt a little roll when I tried to push, so some good Samaritans came over and pushed while I steered it on to a side street and a parking space.

I still had some warning lights on but at that point I was able to shift back in to drive and get back to the house we were staying at. Rivian service had me try another hard reset followed by a sleep cycle to see if the errors cleared but when I woke it up the errors were still there and again it would not go in to drive. After changing ride height settings a few more times I was able to get in to drive again but we decided it definitely needed a tow at that point.

So I just wanted to share my experience in case it happens to someone else. Very embarrassing but no one was hurt. Unfortunately there are no local rental car agencies open for the holiday weekend so I have to get to the Portland airport to get my rental, then drive back to pick up my family of 4 plus dog, then drive back to Eugene.

Rivian R1T R1S Parking brake malfunction IMG_2043
Rivian R1T R1S Parking brake malfunction IMG_2042
Rivian R1T R1S Parking brake malfunction IMG_2041
Rivian R1T R1S Parking brake malfunction IMG_2040
Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
That's unfortunate. Let us know what ends up happening at service. It sounds like the parking brake worked a little too well... I wonder what part of the braking system failed?

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Sorry to hear about this. I hope you were able to enjoy some of your long weekend and that they get it fixed asap!

Riptide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Fire & Rescue
Clubs

Does the R1T have a system called “Brake Hold” for stop-and-go traffic? My 2023 Honda has this feature…

”Use brake hold to make stop-and-go driving easier. It maintains rear brake hold even after the brake pedal is released.”

We’re you on an incline and the vehicle was attempting to prevent roll back?

What a nightmare. Keep us posted.

OP
OP

Scottm

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
physician
Does the R1T have a system called “Brake Hold” for stop-and-go traffic? My 2023 Honda has this feature…

”Use brake hold to make stop-and-go driving easier. It maintains rear brake hold even after the brake pedal is released.”

We’re you on an incline and the vehicle was attempting to prevent roll back?

What a nightmare. Keep us posted.
It was a completely flat road. I believe there is some brake applied when stopped even if the brake pedal is not depressed, but I’m not sure which brakes it uses. I’m going to guess it uses the parking brake since I hadn’t used the brake pedal near the time of the incident.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Sorry for your troubles, but...

I was in sport mode at lowest ride height
+
my family of 4 plus dog
= 🚩🚩

Per your pics, you have 20" ATs. As covered in other threads, avoid lowest with ATs and only use low with stiff suspension. Learn from the mistakes of others.

Not to say this broke your ride, but it definitely won't help it.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

+

= 🚩🚩

Per your pics, you have 20" ATs. As covered in other threads, avoid lowest with ATs and only use low with stiff suspension. Learn from the mistakes of others.

I've apparently missed this memo. Rubbing?

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Way to much software running things in this vehicle

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Never came across this either. Don’t go into lowest anyways because it not comfortable, but good to know.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Scottm

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
physician

+

= 🚩🚩

Hmm, didn’t know that. I was only in sport because I was showing a friend the acceleration a little earlier and forgot to put it back in all purpose. If that really is an issue then shouldn’t the truck not let you go that low with those tires?

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

Way to much software running things in this vehicle
Alas, this is the future. I remember all of the screaming, yelling and gnashing of teeth when electronic ignition, fuel injection, etc. did away with things like carburetors and distribution caps so that all that stuff we kids (and shade tree mechanics) did to either fix or enhance the performance of our vehicles was no longer relevant. I once had a Golf R that I had chipped to improve the performance....seemed like I was cheating. :)

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Alas, this is the future. I remember all of the screaming, yelling and gnashing of teeth when electronic ignition, fuel injection, etc. did away with things like carburetors and distribution caps so that all that stuff we kids (and shade tree mechanics) did to either fix or enhance the performance of our vehicles was no longer relevant. I once had a Golf R that I had chipped to improve the performance....seemed like I was cheating. :)
Indeed I've got a tuned Audi and have worked on cars all the way back to 1960s era cars. The joke was always, when they install MS Windows in a car, we are screwed because the Blue Screen of Death is going to brick us on the road. Now is that time and it's even worse because everyone is reinventing the wheel with their own OS. The Audi MMI runs QNX (ie BlackberryOS) and it's buggy but at least the core driving functions aren't reliant on it. Cars are becoming like a huge expensive wifi weather sprinkler controller that just fails sometimes due to some millennial programmer not thinking properly. BTW I have a degree in computer science...

OP
OP

Scottm

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
physician
UPDATE: Rivian service center just called me to let me know they found an internal failure of the left rear brake caliper. New part ordered, should be delivered Thursday.
Sponsored