Sponsored

Do you plan to put down $100 for the R2?

• Total voters

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Yes. I have an early production R1T that has been fantastic. However, I'm finding I have less and less need for a truck - especially considering how short the bed is. I'll consider the R2S if it has at least 6000 lb towing capacity, otherwise I will trade in the truck for an R1S.
Sponsored

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Yes. I have an early production R1T that has been fantastic. However, I'm finding I have less and less need for a truck - especially considering how short the bed is. I'll consider the R2S if it has at least 6000 lb towing capacity, otherwise I will trade in the truck for an R1S.
I was actually interested in an RxT. What's the practical issue with the bed length?

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I was actually interested in an RxT. What's the practical issue with the bed length?
For my needs it is probably at least foot shorter than I would like. I came from a GMC Canyon with a 6' bed so the 54" bed on the R1T just comes up short for many things I find myself hauling. I've resorted to renting a U-Haul a few times for bigger loads. It's cheap and easy and the local store is only a couple of miles from my house.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I said "no but..."

Love our current 'stable' of R1T + eGolf; Road-tripper beast that can tow the camper and sporty (relatively) efficient daily commuter. We'll eventually upgrade the eGolf to a somewhat longer range EV but no rush for now.

And, I'm really happy with where we ended up with the T given that we were ~75K in line for it. Got it after the bulk of the early issues were ironed out but before it started to get dumbed down by Munro-ization.

Plus, if that "spy shot" turns out to be real, I'm definitely not interested in a SoCal cruiser that's a Ford Flex with oval headlights. Decidedly NOT the kind of adventurous that I'm into.

It will be interesting to see if there's an r2t. How small would it be do you think?
I'm quite confident there won't be a R2T. They announced a "new vehicle", not "vehicles". I expect they will be clear there so as to not piss off speculators of the stock.

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

For my needs it is probably at least foot shorter than I would like. I came from a GMC Canyon with a 6' bed so the 54" bed on the R1T just comes up short for many things I find myself hauling. I've resorted to renting a U-Haul a few times for bigger loads. It's cheap and easy and the local store is only a couple of miles from my house.
Thanks for the heads-up!

Sponsored

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Planning to put a deposit in case of one of 2 scenarios:
- If R2 has a truck version that meets our needs, might trade R1T in order to have simpler long-term maintenance (plus we will be down 1 kid by then) and lower operating/insurance costs
- If only an SUV version, would consider trading our 3 and using that for road trips etc where we donā€™t need the R1T (ie not towing)

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Will it have CarPlay? If so my wife may get one. If not she'll just upgrade her I5.
It's funny how some tech is non-negotiable.

Reactions: Rad

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

I'll probably get an R2 if it has at least two of the following:
  • Under $40k option
  • Small battery pack (eg 70 kWh LiFePO4)
  • Home backup power option (supposedly possible with R1T CCS implementation, but no commitment from Rivian to ever support it)
I won't get one if it supports CarPlay but not USB mp3s, because what else did they screw up if they got those priorities backwards?

DeanB1452

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T LE/LG/BM
Occupation
IT Administrator
Clubs

I love my R1T so I won't be getting another R. Only driver in the house. Already have almost 34K miles on it. Gonna put another 4K miles in April to see the eclipse in TX and then travel through Monument Valley and Moab back to the Bay Area.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I'll probably get an R2 if it has at least two of the following:
  • Under $40k option
  • Small battery pack (eg 70 kWh LiFePO4)
  • Home backup power option (supposedly possible with R1T CCS implementation, but no commitment from Rivian to ever support it)
Under $40k? Not likely. Rivian has been saying $40k-$60k, so I don't think there's really any chance that the base model comes in less than $40k.

Small battery pack? Since a battery is a large cost item, not only for the materials but because the weight needs to be carried, and because the R2 is supposed to be a smaller vehicle, I'm sure Rivian is planning on a smaller battery pack. How small? It seems to be that depends on the range they are shooting for, which for most people is going to be more important that the actual size of the battery. But 70kWh is certainly something that can give you 300 miles of range if the vehicle is small enough and aerodynamic enough.

Home backup power? If Rivian uses NACS, which we believe they will, then home backup power (V2H) isn't something that's part of the NACS standard (yet). So no, that can't happen until the NACS standard is improved.

CCS has V2H, but there are no publicly available bidirectional chargers that implement this. My guess is that when these bidirectional chargers come out later this year (?), the R1 will fully support them via OTA. But I don't think the R2 will ship with this capability.

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
I wish there was a 4th option. Iā€™ll be putting down $100 because I can. BUT if the R1 refresh is a more compelling option, Iā€™ll definitely be going that route instead.

Last edited:

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I personally would like a smaller 5 seater SUV, but I will definitely put a reservation on an R2 to keep my options open for 2026 when I will be needing another vehicle. If it's anything like the R1, then it will be worth it.

Atoledo95

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2
Occupation
Executive Chef
Pretty excited about it. I will be putting down the $100, want to see the design and range itā€™ll actually have. Owned a Tesla wasnā€™t really a fan, so hopefully Rivian can change this for me. I own 2 other cars so shouldnā€™t be to bad living in LA with an electric. But also thinking about the R1T not sure yet.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
I'm planning on putting a deposit down day one to replace a Model 3, but will bail if it's a soft crossover without a real adventure spec (Would like to see 33" ATs, strong AWD system, great suspension, 400+ hp, wood trim).
The rooftop photos make it look more Subaru than Bronco...we will see...
Sponsored