Sponsored

Do you plan to put down $100 for the R2?

• Total voters
OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

I've never done a "launch" but just pressing the gas pedal too hard on my quad puts me back in the seat. Living in the traffic-y hellscape of Northern Virginia there's few places where I could really "floor it", but yeahhh, it's plenty fast, LOL. 😆
My wife says that she doesn't get why guys love doing this stuff. I said, "You like rollercoasters right?" She said, "Yes!" I said it's the same thing. She didn't see the connection. 1+1=🟥 in our house 😂.
Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I will likely reserve one as a potential replacement for my R1S in a few years. I've been mostly happy with the R1S as the software has continued to improve, but it's bigger than I really need and I'd be more comfortable with something a bit smaller. Having an early reservation paid off with the R1S, and $100 is a small price to pay to get on the list again.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Since the release is most likely set for 2 years out why not? By then I might not require the larger R1S, or maybe one of my other vehicles needs replacing. If I don't need it won't take it.

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I will cash in my Cybertruck deposit and put it down on an R2.

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Sponsored

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Yes. Still plan to get an R1T this year or next but who knows what 2 - 3 years looks like down the road. $100 refundable deposit is NBD. I'd kick myself if 2027 got here and I didn't do it but the wait list was very long.

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

I love my R1S, and I'm anxious to learn about the R2. I might someday buy an R2 from available inventory. But ... the 57-month wait for my R1S cured me from ever again reserving a Rivian product.

Reactions: Rad
OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Yes. Still plan to get an R1T this year or next but who knows what 2 - 3 years looks like down the road. $100 refundable deposit is NBD. I'd kick myself if 2027 got here and I didn't do it but the wait list was very long.
Literally on my rationale checklist😂

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

I love my R1S, and I'm anxious to learn about the R2. I might someday buy an R2 from available inventory. But ... the 57-month wait for my R1S cured me from ever again reserving a Rivian product.
Didn't that save you $15-18k?

fjn7

First Name
Florin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

No, if anything I’d like to see a bigger variant of R1S, like an R1S XL or something of the size of a Suburban, a full size 7 seater SUV with ample legroom for 2nd and 3rd rows, and also greater cabin height. I’m 6’1” and when I get in to my R1S I have to lower my head or else I bump into the door frame. Don’t get me wrong, I love the R1S but size is a bit smaller than I’d like. Given the power and specs they could easily throw in a bit more luxury and price this thing in the $120-130k range, easily competing with the Mercedes EQS 580 SUV.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Yes, I plan on placing my deposit on reveal day. This R2 should be stiff competition against the best selling Model Y.

If priced competitively the R2 should be a home run. The only thing holding it back would be the spotty service center coverage in many parts of the country.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Yes - we're not ready to buy yet but $100 is a minimal hedge, and I'm still kicking myself for not keeping a second R1 reservation even though I didn't have a second one to buy on the horizon.

Our second vehicle is a Model Y and we're eager to leave Tesla behind when it's ready to replace - that's hopefully not for a few years, but $100 is a small price to make sure we're not at the back of the line should things change.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Home backup power? If Rivian uses NACS, which we believe they will, then home backup power (V2H) isn't something that's part of the NACS standard (yet). So no, that can't happen until the NACS standard is improved.

CCS has V2H, but there are no publicly available bidirectional chargers that implement this. My guess is that when these bidirectional chargers come out later this year (?), the R1 will fully support them via OTA. But I don't think the R2 will ship with this capability.
I didn't realize that about NACS - that it doesn't support V2X charging and shore power.
That may actually be a deal-killer for me. I fully expect to be able to use the R1's battery next winter if/when the power goes out again.

And, I'm surprised that hasn't been mentioned [at all? more?] in discussions about NACS. For you electrictro-philes, CAN the NACS plug go both ways? What needs to change to make it happen? Seems like a huge step backwards to go from a plug that has the capability to one that doesn't.

Otherwise, I sincerely hope R2 and future vehicles include a 240V plug to address that backwards movement.

Riv893628

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Hyundai Ioniq 5
Also happy with my R1S. We have an ioniq 5 currently as our second vehicle and don't need to make any changes right now.

I am excited to see what the R2 has in store and hopefully the price point opens up the door for more people to enjoy Rivian.

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

No, if anything I’d like to see a bigger variant of R1S, like an R1S XL or something of the size of a Suburban, a full size 7 seater SUV with ample legroom for 2nd and 3rd rows, and also greater cabin height. I’m 6’1” and when I get in to my R1S I have to lower my head or else I bump into the door frame. Don’t get me wrong, I love the R1S but size is a bit smaller than I’d like. Given the power and specs they could easily throw in a bit more luxury and price this thing in the $120-130k range, easily competing with the Mercedes EQS 580 SUV.
Now, THAT'S what I'm talking about. R1S-XL. I'd put money down on that today. Great suggestion!
Sponsored