Sponsored

How often do you use your camp speaker?

• Total voters

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
If Rivian wanted to cut production costs, the speaker would be a good starting point. It’s the answer to a question that almost nobody was asking. Had Rivian never offered that speaker, not a sole would have cared. Shame on the dumb ass that shows up at a campsite and starts blasting his speaker, while his fellow campers are trying to escape civilization and enjoy a little peace and quiet.
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

If Rivian wanted to cut production costs, the speaker would be a good starting point. It’s the answer to a question that almost nobody was asking. Had Rivian never offered that speaker, not a sole would have cared. Shame on the dumb ass that shows up at a campsite and starts blasting his speaker, while his fellow campers are trying to escape civilization and enjoy a little peace and quiet.
I'd rather have the bluetooth speaker than the current controls for ventilation. How many people have ever complained about manually positioning air vents in a car?

Legi0n

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Blue
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I've used mine a fair bit. I did an Oktoberfest at the house and it lasted over six hours. I was impressed. I expected about 3 or so. Party ran down before the camp speaker. I also did an offsite retreat last month to refocus and the camp speaker was a big hit to play background music for certain parts.

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
I use the camp speaker while having a drink after mountain biking or skiing while we sit around and talk about our awesome day. I use the flashlight for those evening rides to make sure I grabbed all my gear and no one left gloves on the truck and everything is strapped down.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I'd rather have the bluetooth speaker than the current controls for ventilation. How many people have ever complained about manually positioning air vents in a car?
For some reason, for me, the whole hvac system in the truck, just works...and works well. I don't even think of where my vents are set...just like in an office, house, etc... Just works and don't notice it.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Where’s the option for

I forgot I even had a camp speaker?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

For some reason, for me, the whole hvac system in the truck, just works...and works well. I don't even think of where my vents are set...just like in an office, house, etc... Just works and don't notice it.
I agree, the automatic vents work well, it just seems like something that was over engineered to me, a solution to something that wasn't really a problem. I set them when I first got the truck, and haven't touched them since. I've only had it a month, so I can't really comment on the AC. To me, if I wanted to cut costs, I would get rid of those first, and just use manual pointing of the vents. But maybe they are cheaper than I think. Maybe if my truck had another driver I would appreciate them more. Maybe I know I move my Jeeps vents all the time, because I want them pointing in a different direction depending on if they are blowing hot or cold air. Maybe I'm just old school, I like just moving one manually like I've always done.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’ve only used mine twice. Once to show it off at Cars and Coffee and the other time while cleaning the garage. Both times my phone kept switching over the to truck, thus cutting out music to the camp speaker. I’ve pretty much given up on using it for now. Maybe I’ll try again when we start hitting trails in the spring.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I like the ideas of converting it to a powered cooler. Now that's something I think A LOT more people would actually use.

Like someone said, if they never put it in, nobody would have even given it a thought that the truck is lacking a speaker than can pulled out. Sounds like most don't use it. For those that do, I'm sure they could live without it if it didn't exist

Maybe someday, Rivian will offer different options for that space? As a cooler. As storage bin. As a speaker. Certainly an item that aftermarket creators could make some money on if they designed something to fit in that space. The fact that it's powered gives you a lot more options of what it could be used for.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I've only had my R1T for about a month, and have only used it to try it, for about a minute. It's fine, it doesn't bother me, but if it was a $200 option, I probably would have skipped it. I have other portable speakers at home, but I guess it makes it convenient that I will never forget one if I go on a roadtrip. The flashlight is at least useful in an emergency, I feel like everyone should keep one in their car.

Edit: adding a picture of my aftermarket flashlight setup for my Wrangler. Rivian’s setup is definitely more elegant.
0793AE0B-9301-4185-9D67-1E4280D6AF33.jpeg
Flashlights have come a ways since the trusty, old mall cop night stick … : )
I agree that if Rivian made the "Rolls Royce Umbrella" flashlight a $200 checkbox, not everyone would check that box. Especially since when you look at great LED flashlights today … really, the Rivian one is … cute. Not useful fixing a flat or unloading the bed or spotting someone reversing a trailer wanting "floodlight" visibility in the mirrors … typical reasons for needing a flashlight as a driver.
The strange thing being their ideas stopped at "cute, novelty with some utility" instead of running with the idea and saying "find every void space and let's see what we can do." I think that was the origin of the gear tunnel "hey, this is a tricky void space between the body and the chassis" … but once they decided to do the flashlight, instead of the goofy non-marketing message of 7777 cells (it's not even the same cell as the pack …) why not say "let's put an umbrella in both front doors" and "let's put stuff in the back doors, let's have a mini awning in the door so that having the rear doors open is under cover if it's raining" (which is the great value of the Model X wing door.) What do they do with the void spaces in the body around the bed? … one side has the separate mini-compressor, the other side has a 110V outlet panel (which really should have been a 10kW inverter output for onboard power and V2L.)

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
1) I use the Camp speaker frequently as just another bluetooth speaker. It's ok. Not great. Ok. It's absurdly difficult to use until you memorize its practically unlabeled and invisible buttons with horrible tactile feedback … and the hidden pairing button …

2) I use the Camp speaker docking space EVERY DAY … it's a great cubby space in there … a discrete place to slide everything out of sight and leave the cabin looking empty to prying eyes.

(the Camp speaker is sitting on a table somewhere, I forget where it was last time it was on ... Thanksgiving at the kid's table?)

All_electric_Seattle

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, R1T
Occupation
Construction
It's glitchy, usually takes a couple tries to get it to pair and has a loud strange gong (noise) when you turn it on. The sound quality is pretty good but the buttons and super dim LEDs under them aren't great.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I can't wait to see the results that say almost never for most people - yet it's one of the things they REALLY pushed.

You should do a poll on the flashlight in the door. Another feature they made a big deal of, but it probably never gets used (and I know this cause my JGC has a flashlight built in in the rear cargo area, never gets used either).
“Almost never” is precisely why I want these things. It’s the things I “almost never” use that I always forget to bring and really miss when I don’t have them. I’ve used the flashlight pretty often and the camp speaker on road trips and I love having both. They’re definitely not something I need every day, but neither is off road mode, a steering wheel heater, an air compressor, a gear tunnel, 800hp, and on and on and on…
Sponsored