djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

They could stop upgrading features right not and I would be satisfied. Why can’t some of you just learn to be grateful 🤦‍♂️. This community can be so 🤮🤮
Because they have always said they are upgrading and will be on "par" with the solutions they don't want to offer. Is it wrong to hold them to that?

If they came out and said, this is the car you're getting and updates aren't coming, then all of us would have no ground to stand on since we knew their stance coming into this.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

They could stop upgrading features right not and I would be satisfied. Why can’t some of you just learn to be grateful 🤦‍♂️. This community can be so 🤮🤮
Rivian needs to continue pushing boundaries with their software. I am happy with where the software is today but there's not a great reason for them to stop developing for the "old hardware", as long as maintaining the software for older vehicles doesn't become a hinderance to them.

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
This shutdown is to change from over 35 discrete control modules and spaghetti wiring harneses to a distributed network architecture. They would have to tear the entire vehicle apart. Not gonna happen.
This. It wouldn’t be an upgrade. It would be a rebuild.
I didn't follow 100% of everything in this thread, but I personally could care less about the underlying architecture but I do hope they will offer some sort of path to upgrade the compute hardware (like Tesla does) if that ultimately becomes a necessity to enable additional Driver+ features.

Assuming the cameras & sensors in the current builds are adequate (excluding the driver monitoring camera that has already been confirmed inadequate / disabled and would probably require replacement), it would be very disappointing if there wasn't a paid path to continuing to enable those features to the extent they are rolled out to the R1 platform under new compute hardware.

Disclosure: I know next to nothing about software / hardware so that may all be a pipe dream, but again, just hoping they follow a similar (paid & profitable) path like Tesla to enable whatever simple hardware upgrades may be beneficial in the future.

DoubleTake

Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
Because they have always said they are upgrading and will be on "par" with the solutions they don't want to offer. Is it wrong to hold them to that?

If they came out and said, this is the car you're getting and updates aren't coming, then all of us would have no ground to stand on since we knew their stance coming into this.
So when will it be okay for them to stop?

DoubleTake

Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
Rivian needs to continue pushing boundaries with their software. I am happy with where the software is today but there's not a great reason for them to stop developing for the "old hardware", as long as maintaining the software for older vehicles doesn't become a hinderance to them.
I never said they should stop but we shouldn’t. Be complaining. Everything they improve on is a blessing. We could be stuck with day a software just like almost every other manufacturer. We are lucky our vehicles get better every month and shouldn’t take it for granted

Sponsored

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
It seems like the iPhone hardware/software upgrade cycle is a big hint. And resonates with the “current vehicles get 80% of features” notion. (Paraphrased)

Want AI Portrait mode in your photos? Well that requires the new iPhone 123’s camera module.

You still get regular updates, but not all the updates.

Last edited:

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
I completely agree. I think RivIan has done an admirable job of providing updates on a monthly basis. There will be some features that I wish would come sooner but it is impossible to satisfy ever owners particular needs as quickly as they like. That’s why you get people whining ,yes that‘s what it is, rather than be satisfied with the overall product and patiently waiting for the feature they are looking for. I know of few companies that have sought and acted on suggestions from customers as well as Rivian. If it is streaming services you need now be patient and you’ll get it. In the meantime, use your phone or tablet and be thankful that you have free over the air connectivity because as soon as you get streaming services you will have to pay for it.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I’m very happy with the progress Rivian has made and the capabilities it has today. That doesn’t mean I’d be happy if they stopped upgrading features since there are some things which all other vehicles in this arena have which Rivian does not. As an example, there is no resume function for the cruise control. I think this is especially annoying given how long cars have had a resume feature (1970s, ant least) and a deterrent to using cruise control and highway assist.

I appreciate the additional functionality they’ve given us! That doesn’t change the fact that Rivian still has a fair amount of work to do simply to catch up to what most consumers expect from a vehicle with this hardware today. I expect Rivian will get there, but I cannot fault the people who aren’t as patient as I am.

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Rivian chose to release software that was not feature complete and to depend on updates to get them to where they want to be. This is the way all software companies are operating these days so essentially, there is no stopping. However, there is hardware EOL that companies like Apple have implemented. If they matched Apple's pattern, then 99% of us would be fine.

Stopping now will cause some serious trust issues for those of us that believed in them to act like a A1 company. (Just in case anyone else is misreading this, Rivian has not indicated they would stop updating. I'm just responding to this poster's theoretical question)

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
...but I do hope they will offer some sort of path to upgrade the compute hardware (like Tesla does) if that ultimately becomes a necessity to enable additional Driver+ features.
Unless Rivian becomes profitable over the next few years (assuming they even make it a few more years), I don't think they can afford to allocate the resources to make this happen. 😔

Sponsored

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
Rivian chose to release software that was not feature complete and to depend on updates to get them to where they want to be. This is the way all software companies are operating these days so essentially, there is no stopping. However, there is hardware EOL that companies like Apple have implemented. If they matched Apple's pattern, then 99% of us would be fine.

Stopping now will cause some serious trust issues for those of us that believed in them to act like a A1 company. (Just in case anyone else is misreading this, Rivian has not indicated they would stop updating. I'm just responding to this poster's theoretical question)
It is very close to feature complete and was a few updates after it was released in late 2031 when 360 degree camera and tire pressure monitoring was added. Pet mode, camp mode, dash cam are not needed to be feature complete when competitors like Audi do not offer those in their EVs.

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

It is very close to feature complete and was a few updates after it was released in late 2031 when 360 degree camera and tire pressure monitoring was added. Pet mode, camp mode, dash cam are not needed to be feature complete when competitors like Audi do not offer those in their EVs.
You know full well they're not aiming for Audi...

For all of you that are actually satisfied, good for you. The rest of us are not complaining because we want more in addition to what was promised/forecased, we just want what they have been selling us on.

Shaqdeez

First Name
Shaq
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mazda CX9
I'm not sure I've seen an answer to this but WHEN is the actual refresh happening? Is it for all new builds after the factory reopens? Or is it after the infamous Sep 30, 2024 date? It's not clear when this refresh will occur.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not sure I've seen an answer to this but WHEN is the actual refresh happening? Is it for all new builds after the factory reopens? Or is it after the infamous Sep 30, 2024 date? It's not clear when this refresh will occur.
The updated network architecture will be in all new builds when the line starts back up, presumably in May. RJ has stated this at least once if not several times. Any other changes that some are calling a "refresh" are purely speculative. I am unaware of anything officially announced/confirmed.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
Unless Rivian becomes profitable over the next few years (assuming they even make it a few more years), I don't think they can afford to allocate the resources to make this happen. 😔
Not sure what profitability has to do with a paid upgrade path? They can offer it at a price that covers cost of parts and labor and profit for Rivian.
Sponsored