Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
This is from the Illinois investment announcement. People are speculating on Twitter that this is the refresh since it is just coming off the line. I don’t really see any differences:

GMrU4CPaQAAtyBG.jpeg
GMrP35UaQAAo4CQ.jpeg
The light bar and headlights look revised in these photos. Unless it’s lighting playing tricks, the current light bar doesn’t have a dark/shadow appearance when it’s off. The headlights look shorter too. I wouldn’t be surprised too if it’s an Easter egg photo op of the changed R1.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
The tow hooks look like there's tape over them.
The lighting there is very unnatural. It could effect the perception a little bit.
I think the new sensor suite is basically confirmed. So, that might have a new camera housing.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

The most important update I'm looking forward to is the cost reduction per vehicle. All the feature changes mentioned in the linked autoevolution site point to significant cost reduction and margin expansion.

The most interesting option mentioned was the worker truck. R1T Pro for fleet and working low priced version to compete with F150 and Silverado worker trucks. Definitely lower range with LFP and RWD, mechanical suspension. Hope it comes in less than $50K

Sponsored

bdwalters

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Hardware Engineer
the refresh is going to be primarily be changes on the manufacturing side to improve efficiency and costs. You likely won’t notice any changes to the vehicle itself so current inventory isn’t going to be devalued. To drivers/owners there will be no difference.
Then why is Rivian so desperately trying to get rid of current inventory?

WhisperPickle

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Google “Osborne Effect” for your answer. https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=osborne+effect
Yes, I’m well aware of the Osborne effect.

Per RJ: “80% of the new features will be backwards compatible with current models. The remaining 20% require new hardware”.

Per Wassym: New hardware is updated suite of sensors and cameras and non-backwards compatible features are updated Driver+ system and Summon function.

Other hardware changes:
-removal of tow hooks
-redesigned (slightly smaller) headlight and fog light units
-redesigned side mirrors
- minimal front grille changes
-smoked light bar option
-piano black lower bumper
-new wheel options
-updated wireless phone charger
-addition of slate and evergreen color options
-removal of forest green interior

Hayseed_MS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Are we sure the white one is an R1S and not an R2? This is a photo op in regards to the factory changes and R2 and there is an R1S in green.

peytonrg

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Explorer
The light bar and headlights look revised in these photos. Unless it’s lighting playing tricks, the current light bar doesn’t have a dark/shadow appearance when it’s off. The headlights look shorter too. I wouldn’t be surprised too if it’s an Easter egg photo op of the changed R1.
Looks 3D like the new R2

Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Why is a visual refresh expected when they have clearly stated on earnings calls that there won’t be any visual differences from the factory revamp and that all changes will be internal?
Yes, I’m well aware of the Osborne effect.

Per RJ: “80% of the new features will be backwards compatible with current models. The remaining 20% require new hardware”.

Per Wassym: New hardware is updated suite of sensors and cameras and non-backwards compatible features are updated Driver+ system and Summon function.

Other hardware changes:
-removal of tow hooks
-redesigned (slightly smaller) headlight and fog light units
-redesigned side mirrors
- minimal front grille changes
-smoked light bar option
-piano black lower bumper
-new wheel options
-updated wireless phone charger
-addition of slate and evergreen color options
-removal of forest green interior
Color me confused. I’m reading your quotes above where you attack me for suggesting there will be physical changes, asking what would make me think that given that nothing has been announced. I reply. Then you reply that yes you’re aware of multiple physical changes in the offing and include bullet points of a number of them. So which is it? Do you doubt the changes or are you already familiar with them and agree?

cwang089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X Plaid, Model Y LR
I'm confused too. Maybe his definition of refresh is different than ours.

cwang089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X Plaid, Model Y LR
Even if the refresh is a few hundred pounds lighter, it was worth the wait for me since I am buying with a voucher. If I was leasing, I'd rather jump on the lease deal

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Hope they lease the new models. If so I'm in!

OP
OP

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
We now got our answer. Refresh is not coming out soon. Batteries Inc podcast mentioned that it's coming but not soon.
Sponsored