LE R1T

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Can anyone tell (with enhancing software, perhaps) if the charge door has the break in it to swivel? I can't see it.

OP
OP

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
Interesting. It's clearly lacking the front fender camera and looks like it has the same mirrors as the shots in the original post.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
If were ready to purchase an R1 I would put my purchase plans on hold. Rivian has many, many improvements coming later this year to the R1. Simpler electrical architecture, battery pack updates, etc.

The IL assembly plant is rumored to go down in April for a couple of weeks to facilitate the upcoming improvement’s.

https://electrek.co/2023/12/04/rivi...er-simplified-battery-pack-r1-ev-coming-2024/

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/new-tech-to-make-next-generation-rivian-vehicles-cheaper

Last edited:
OP
OP

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
If were ready to purchase an R1 I would put my purchase plans on hold. Rivian has many, many improvements coming later this year to the R1. Simpler electrical architecture, battery pack updates, etc.

The IL assembly plant is rumored to go down in April for a couple of weeks to facilitate the upcoming improvement’s.

https://electrek.co/2023/12/04/rivi...er-simplified-battery-pack-r1-ev-coming-2024/

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/new-tech-to-make-next-generation-rivian-vehicles-cheaper
I think these updates are being oversold and are most likely going to include changes that reduce production costs but don't change the user experience.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
The door handles being out isn't an encouraging sign.

I wonder if this is one of the same vehicles that was in Alaska, or if they have more copies rolling around. Rivian does some design stuff in MI. So, they might just be letting some employees try out the pre-release models.

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Maybe it's the mythical 1,200+HP quad Enduro with 180kwh battery, heat pump and...Apple Carplay!
Definitely not CarPlay. There is no way Rivian could lose access to all the navigation data. It is the only way they can improve the Driver + and get to next generation navigation. .

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Definitely not CarPlay. There is no way Rivian could lose access to all the navigation data. It is the only way they can improve the Driver + and get to next generation navigation. .
Rivian wouldn't be losing any data if Carplay becomes available. They are probably geo-logging and time-logging each trip anyway and capturing streaming camera data, compressing and sending it from routes they want to fill in to the Rivian cloud. Really makes no difference whether Carplay is available or not methinks. The vehicle already knows when and where it is being charged as well so likely already pushing charging stops to the Rivian cloud as well.

Sponsored

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
I think these updates are being oversold and are most likely going to include changes that reduce production costs but don't change the user experience.
Exactly...the changes are (hopefully) going to result in the same vehicle at lower cost and MUCH improved quality control. QC is killing them right now. Even at normalized depreciation costs the R1 platform is only breakeven. They can't raise prices in this market so they must cut costs.

Paraphrasing some Rivian employee acquaintances with that info. I specifically told them I was going to wait until after shut down (peregrine platform) to buy so I get all the upgrades and they said don't bother the customer won't see a thing except, hopefully, fewer trips to the SC. First real R1 refresh isn't likely until late 2025 when they switch charging plugs.

I live 35 miles from the Normal plant and a Riv engineer and training dept employee live in my subdivision. Take it for what it's worth.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
fewer trips to the SC.
And lighter weight are likely the basic advantages to the user. Both seem like nice improvements. I'm in no rush, and will wait for those as I hope to keep my vehicle for a long time. But, if you typically only own your vehicle while it's under full warranty, then it is unlikely to be noticed.

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
And lighter weight are likely the basic advantages to the user. Both seem like nice improvements. I'm in no rush, and will wait for those as I hope to keep my vehicle for a long time. But, if you typically only own your vehicle while it's under full warranty, then it is unlikely to be noticed.
You are correct....They both mentioned lighter weight and, hopefully, a small efficiency/range improvement. I normally keep my vehicles 100,000 miles, but don't trust this truck. I've had 37 items fixed (many they fixed while they had it....I didn't request) in my 58,501 miles. Have an appointment Tuesday for three more items. That is a bunch, but I love this truck😀😉.
Sponsored