Sponsored

R1S automatically parked during red light waits - how to disable?

RivianSurvive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
My R1S frequently shifted to park automatically during red light waits. The screen also show a message saying it is automatically parked. Sometimes, the auto park happened within 10 seconds of the wait.

Does anyway else find this feature annoying? I have to shift it to drive again during the wait. I once forgot to shift and couldn’t have the car moving quickly. The cars behind me were mad.

Is there anyway to disable the feature. I couldn’t find how.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
My R1S frequently shifted to park automatically during red light waits. The screen also show a message saying it is automatically parked. Sometimes, the auto park happened within 10 seconds of the wait.

Does anyway else find this feature annoying? I have to shift it to drive again during the wait. I once forgot to shift and couldn’t have the car moving quickly. The cars behind me were mad.

Is there anyway to disable the feature. I couldn’t find how.
This is not a feature. Something is wrong. Do you shift about in your seat significantly at stops?

OP
OP

RivianSurvive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This is not a feature. Something is wrong. Do you shift about in your seat significantly at stops?
I don’t shift my seat at all during stops. I merely put my hands off the wheel and feet off the break or gas. The car somehow felt there was lack of activity, so automatically shifted it to park.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I don’t shift my seat at all during stops. I merely put my hands off the wheel and feet off the break or gas. The car somehow felt there was lack of activity, so automatically shifted it to park.
Supposed to auto-park if you haven't moved for 10 minutes, so likely not that.

If vehicle hold thinks that you are still rolling (or the system is faulting) it'll shift into park. How do your brakes look?

It'll also auto-park if it detects a charger plugged in while in drive (I just had to try). But it won't let you back into drive.

See if it still happens if you're manually on the brake at a stop.

Last edited:

peyang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I think you might have your seat belt off... if you keep it on it shouldnt shift to park...

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Unless there's a bug, there aren't many reasons the vehicle will shift into park by itself.

Few cases I can think of:

- Sitting in Drive for an extended time. It will go into park after ~10 minutes or so. Experienced this a few times waiting in a long line.

- You are going very slow and lift your butt off the seat. For example, backing up into a parking spot and you lean a little too far out the window causing your butt to lift off. Car will go into park.

- You're stopped in Drive and you open the door. It'll go into Park.

Anything else is likely a bug.

fdon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Plaid S, Model X, R1S PDMM
Occupation
SE
Clubs

No, that isn’t the case. I never unbuckle my sear belt during driving.
You may not, but the vehicle may think you are. Something to get checked out by service. Try to record it when it happens and also take note of the time. Service should be able to look at logs to determine why that happened with a bit better accuracy

Sponsored

jayazusa

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Prius
Occupation
Technology
Call the service number and tell them what happened and what time, it happened to me 3 times when I first got my truck, it was a faulty seat sensor, basically seeing that I got out of the seat and they replaced the part or parts hasn't happened to me in the past 7 months.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
You may not, but the vehicle may think you are. Something to get checked out by service. Try to record it when it happens and also take note of the time. Service should be able to look at logs to determine why that happened with a bit better accuracy
If you turn hazards on and off when it happens it should mark the log for them to better isolate what was happening.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Hit the hazard lights when it happens it will help service find it in the logs
If you turn hazards on and off when it happens it should mark the log for them to better isolate what was happening.
No need for that anymore... Just long-press your username.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired