Sponsored

R1S - Driver side exterior doors / power seats / windows / audio

aliasyvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40
I've been loving my R1S since we purchased it in June and have had relatively no issues.

Three weeks ago on the driver side the exterior door handles stopped popping open, power windows on driver side, power seats, and the audio stopped working. We took it in for service and miraculously it started working again the next day. They tried a number of things and couldn't find any issues after a week and a half.

Fast forward to yesterday it randomly stopped working again for 1/2 a day. We were able to get into the car on the passenger side. After an hour of driving around suddenly the power went back on.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas of what might the issue be as Rivian can't seem to figure it out. Could it be the 12V battery? I'm a 9XXX serial so on the lower side so unsure if we have 1 or 2 of those. Honestly no idea what it could be but was the only thing I could think of.

Appreciate any thoughts/guidance! Thanks!
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I've been loving my R1S since we purchased it in June and have had relatively no issues.

Three weeks ago on the driver side the exterior door handles stopped popping open, power windows on driver side, power seats, and the audio stopped working. We took it in for service and miraculously it started working again the next day. They tried a number of things and couldn't find any issues after a week and a half.

Fast forward to yesterday it randomly stopped working again for 1/2 a day. We were able to get into the car on the passenger side. After an hour of driving around suddenly the power went back on.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas of what might the issue be as Rivian can't seem to figure it out. Could it be the 12V battery? I'm a 9XXX serial so on the lower side so unsure if we have 1 or 2 of those. Honestly no idea what it could be but was the only thing I could think of.

Appreciate any thoughts/guidance! Thanks!
Sounds like a loose connection or broken wire in the harness. Since it is both doors best guess is it is before the harness gets to the driver’s door (under dash or in the frunk). I would schedule another appointment with the latest details.

If it happens again you can try hitting the dash, kick panel and looking under the cowl cover where the batteries and air filter are to try to narrow down the location.

beawareindn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model 3, Audi Q5
A similar thing happened to me yesterday. Just the driver side handle didnt pop open. All the other doors handles opened. I couldnt manually open it either. I locked and unlocked the car in my app and it worked. Didnt think much of it. Happened only once.

Erikbecker

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical engineer
Considering the symptoms, I‘d suggest checking the wiring and connectors linked to the systems that are acting up. You know, stuff like vibrations and weather can mess with those connections over time, causing hiccups in the system.
If the issue persists despite these measures, it could be because of a software glitch or calibration error of the car's electronic control units. Sometimes, just updating the software or doing a recalibration can fix the problem.

OP
OP

aliasyvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40
Update: They were able to diagnose the issue they pin pointed to 2 potential outcomes. After changing the voltage they found part 2. Fingers crossed no further issues!

"Checked total resistance of LH CAN bus - found to be approx 65 ohms. Expected is 60 ohms. Resistance is on the higher side."

"Found when wiggling wires near left side front kick panel, CAN bus resistance will
fluctuate. Eventually pinpointed to LF door connector. Disassembled for inspection. Found
retaining latch is broken Replaced LF door harness."

Correction/Remedy:
- Low Voltage Electrical General Diagnostic
- Harness, Front Door, LH (Remove and Replace)
Sponsored