R1T - Lomax Folding Hard Tonneau Cover Review

diehlryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
C+ Tonneau. $1K and you only get 2/3 of your bed when opened. Have to remove to get full use. It also blocks the spare cover from opening all the way.

I'd give it a B if it would fold open against the back glass like the BAKFlip covers.

diehlryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
C+ Tonneau. $1K and you only get 2/3 of your bed when opened. Have to remove to get full use. It also blocks the spare cover from opening all the way.

I'd give it a B if it would fold open against the back glass like the BAKFlip covers.
Better than no tonneau if you need the secured space.. <- didn't want to be 100% critical of it.

OP
OP
240vPlug

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Better than no tonneau if you need the secured space.. <- didn't want to be 100% critical of it.
Its not that heavy and easy to remove completely when needed. I think any cover is going to block the under bed storage. Unfortunately, this is probably the easiest one to open if you need to frequently access that area other than the power tonneau.

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I have shopped all of the available tonneau covers. I am leaning toward the Lomax as being the best available for the price. I think that I will get the black urethane finish. I am going to check on the weight of this one vs. the carbon fiber. The carbon fiber version is twice the price, but I would consider it because of weight, strength, and fade factor. At $2,200, it is only slightly higher than the Rivian manual tonneau.

Brian

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T
I can also attest to their customer service. I have the carbon version which is a bit lighter than the aluminum one. Makes it easier to stash in the gear tunnel.

One of the support bows on mine came unglued from the carbon top panel. After some pics, Lomax sent me an entirely new cover, as well as had the old one picked up by FedEx. Nice to see a company taking care of their customers.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

That's good to hear. I like hearing stories about a company like that. Do you feel that the carbon fiber version is worth the extra expense?

Brian

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
I’m also leaning towards this cover but I’m confused about the “OEM Tunnel Track”. Do we all have this track or was it part of the ordering process?

OP
OP
240vPlug

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I’m also leaning towards this cover but I’m confused about the “OEM Tunnel Track”. Do we all have this track or was it part of the ordering process?
My March 2023 has the tonneau track... It didn't get any tonneau. I believe they all have the track otherwise the Rivian manual Tonneau wouldn't have anything to slot into.

The build quality of it seems decent and it's sturdy too. I have the black urethane finish. With the CF your saving weight while also gaining some strength.... I believe those are real CF panels which is why there is so much extra cost.

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

For the substantial price difference, I would hope that they are real carbon fiber panels. I intend to ask that when I place my order. I will also ask about the weight differential. Opal is an outside truck, so I am also concerned about the the effects of the Florida sun on the surface.

Brian

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T
That's good to hear. I like hearing stories about a company like that. Do you feel that the carbon fiber version is worth the extra expense?

Brian
For the substantial price difference, I would hope that they are real carbon fiber panels. I intend to ask that when I place my order. I will also ask about the weight differential. Opal is an outside truck, so I am also concerned about the the effects of the Florida sun on the surface.

Brian
Yes, I do think it’s worth the extra expense. I had the aluminum version on my first R1T and it’s definitely heavier than the carbon version. Not overly heavy, mind you, but there is a noticeable difference between the two. It’s also lighter enough to make it much easier to get it into the gear tunnel with ease.

It is also a solid sheet of carbon fiber, and ultra-thin. Which is one reason I like it. I will get some pics in a few minutes to post.

Regarding UV resistance - that’s a great question. Please post the answer when you get it. Mine is also an outside truck, but I have always thought I would eventually replace it with the Rivian powered version, so I didn’t care about longevity. After having this one a while, though, I might just keep it.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T
Some pics. First is. A full shot, followed by side views of the panels as well as the fold junctions. I thought shots of the latching mechanism and attachments might be of interest, and then the fully folded panel set.

They did a nice job on the carbon, I think. We’ll see how long the panels stay attached to the support bows through northeast winters.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T - Lomax Folding Hard Tonneau Cover Review IMG_8418

Rivian R1T R1S R1T - Lomax Folding Hard Tonneau Cover Review IMG_8419

Rivian R1T R1S R1T - Lomax Folding Hard Tonneau Cover Review IMG_8420

Rivian R1T R1S R1T - Lomax Folding Hard Tonneau Cover Review IMG_8421

Rivian R1T R1S R1T - Lomax Folding Hard Tonneau Cover Review IMG_8422

Rivian R1T R1S R1T - Lomax Folding Hard Tonneau Cover Review IMG_8423

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Thank you so much for the photos and insight. Your information has been very helpful in my decision.

Brian

Calypso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Adding a couple photos from my Lomax carbon fiber tonneau installed last month. I debated hard on the added cost for the carbon fiber but am glad I went with it. Light weight, low profile and secure. So far the bed seems pretty dry in rain - did one 5-hour drive in light-moderate rain at highway speeds and it has sat outside in heavy rain.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T - Lomax Folding Hard Tonneau Cover Review IMG_1238
Rivian R1T R1S R1T - Lomax Folding Hard Tonneau Cover Review IMG_1236
e
Sponsored