Sponsored

R1T Loses Race against a 2.3 liter ICE vehicle (spoiler no video)

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Not sure if anyone really cares as this probably isn't the forum for ICE motorheads, but we just wanted to see how the R1T would hold up against my modified Evo 10. The Evo has been sitting in the garage since 2020 as I haven't been road racing for over 2 years. And after washing the dust off, we thought yeah lets see if it can run with the R1T. The car has a built 2.3 liter with a EFR 8374 running 22psi and basically nothing is stock, built for road racing mostly. Stock interior and a HQ stereo upgrade and while it runs great it would be a very poor ride for a daily driver.

I don't have anything in either vehicle to hold a phone for filming sorry. No launches were done as the EVO is a MR with the dual clutch and the clutches are very expensive to replace and can easily be overpowered from a launch. But the EVO from a 5-10 mph roll took about a second to blow past the R1T and never looked back. While I've never drag raced the Evo I'd say it has high 10 second at 125-130 mph 1/4 mile capability. From fast rolling speeds the Mitsu hangs right with the R1T for about a one count before walking off. It's super noticable how much the engineers at Rivian have dialed the R1T back starting around 90mph. The other amazing this is just how smooth the R1T is for being so fast. The noise and vibrations of the EVO do add to the sensation of speed imho, which makes the R1T stealthy.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Iā€™m not entirely surprised thatā€™s how it turned out. First, your EVO is a freaking fast car! Second, I think a big part of the advantage any EV has is that instant torque. Even a Nissan Leaf can beat most ICE cars from 0-20mph if someone steps on it. The rolling start probably eliminated that EV advantage entirely, which still leaves a pretty fast truck but also a very heavy truck compared to the EVO.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Sharp! I have driven a couple STIs before, but never had a chance to try an EVO. I always thought they looked better than the Subaru.

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
Not surprised....

With the rolling start, you minimize the R1T's biggest advantages (instant torque, launch traction) and highlight the R1T's biggest deficits (~100 mph power taper, aero drag, max top speed).

Even with a heads-up standing start 1/4 mile, the R1T is only a mid 11's truck, not a high 10's, so I'm sure a heavily tweaked Evo would take it down. Unless of course you live in Denver, where you will be giving up quite a few of the Evo ponies to density altitude.

Sponsored

The J-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2020 BMW X5 M50
I am not surprised. The R1T is not as fast as I was expecting it to be. It really starts to slow down around 40-50 MPH. It will beat my X5 M50i off the line, but after 50 MPH the X5 will fly right by.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I am not surprised. The R1T is not as fast as I was expecting it to be. It really starts to slow down around 40-50 MPH. It will beat my X5 M50i off the line, but after 50 MPH the X5 will fly right by.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Loses Race against a 2.3 liter ICE vehicle (spoiler no video) giphy

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

There will also be a lot of other lower end electric cars coming that will beat it. They wont have large all terrain tires and a bed though so.

Sponsored

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I'm a "car guy" and have (and had) some fun vehicles.

Vehicles like the Rivian and Teslas are quick. I wouldn't call them fast. In drag racing or short track scenarios, the EV/instant torque will be very consistent. You can probably run a 0-60 in 3.2 seconds 10 times in a row. Try doing that in an ICE vehicle, even if you have launch control. Not so easy.

For the daily driving scenario around town/commuting to work, there is almost no better substitute than a quick EV. You're also more inclined to do quick accelerations when the car is almost silent. I'm self conscious when I accelerate aggressively because of the noise (and I didn't even modify the exhaust!)

Let's talk about acceleration now...

These days there are a LOT of fast consumer cars. A sport sedan can have 500+ hp and AWD. A Model 3 Performance can go 0-60 in ~3 seconds.

It is important to realize how quickly 3 seconds passes and a true performance metric should be 60-130. If a "quick EV" is faster to 60mph, an actual performance car will blow past it 2 seconds later and then upwards to 200mph or over.

But as OP stated, most folks in this forum are EV/Rivian specific fans and there are less "enthusiasts" than other performance specific forums.

Let's talk about road courses...

Weight is a big deal. You can offset weight with more and more power, but the weight is still there. Braking and suspension performance will suffer. Brakes are just as important as power/speed on a road course. The Rivian is HEAVY and it will probably drive like a performance SUV (think X5M, Range Rover SVR, Audi RSQ8, etc) but probably a little worse because of the suspension/alignment and tires. The Rivian is after all, a truck and not designed with performance in mind. If it was, then it would be terrible at truck things.

Don't listen to people who say the Rivian drives like a sports car. It does not, and it never will. Those people have never driven sports cars.

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I don't think so. LOL

OP
OP
MNLightning

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Mine feels strong well past that. Your Bimmer must be tuned or something isnā€™t right with your R1T. My EVO has a couple hundred horses and a ton less weight with better aeroā€¦than the BMW so something doesnā€™t make sense.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
Doesn't sound right unless it's got a decent tune on it.

The J-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2020 BMW X5 M50
šŸ¤” Yeah, my R1T really slows down after 50. The BMW is definitely faster. Took it out side by side on the highway with my wife driving the X5, and the X5 pulls away pretty easily. Had the R1T in sport mode, lowest height, stiff suspension. Looking at the Car and Driver tests, they show 50-70 of 3.1 seconds for X5 and 2.1 seconds for R1T. Something ain't right. My X5 is stock.
Sponsored