Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
There are many unknowns but I'd be surprised if they had local installers do the work at the $4500 price unless the option is only available in specific markets. That's about a 50% discount depending on where you are. Unless Rivian is making up the difference why would a vendor take less than the market price. And why would Rivian subsidize? Doing this with service center staff doesn't seem like a great idea based on some of the pictures out there on the gear tunnel PPF. Things like a factory warranty would be a great bonus assuming the work done is actually high quality.

It just seems strange for this to leak with a price, it would've made sense to gauge interest on this option and then based on that feedback announce a market dependent price later down the road.
Sponsored

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
Local vendors are likely to charge a discounted rate to rivian for volume sales.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Not everyone has a trusted installer...

When I got my Tesla I got it wrapped. Researched for hours and went to a guy who was highly recommended by multiple forums. Wrapped cars several times more expensive than mine and plenty of reviews all over various social media. I called, got there and agreed on a price ($6,000) to wrap the entire car, including any correction needed, emblem removals, etc.

Got the car back and it was a crap job. Didn't wrap around the edges, didn't remove the emblems, cut around them so there was a line visible down the middle, bubbles..lots and lots of bubbles and I was told "it'll dry and go away" and some did..some did not. 2x I went back to get things corrected when I finally found out the guy answers the phone and used to wrap but only wraps occasionally for "special customers" now and hires a couple of low paid workers to do the rest. When the wrap started peeling two years later I gave him a call with no return calls. Email, nothing. To make sure I put in a quote under another name, address, and phone. Got a call back several hours later...

If I had someone I trusted, I'd go to them. To roll the dice for another several thousand? I'd rather roll it with Rivian and have it covered under my warranty as an accessory.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Why the hell is PPF even this expensive? Its plastic wrap. It'd be a hard sell to me at even $1,000
You can chock it up to you get what you pay for. A 60” wide roll 228” long can cost $900 dollars plus just for the material. Then you need to pay for the install and want an experienced person, why even bother if you skimp on the installer. You need to pay for the paint correction, you want someone insured to cover any damage working around the paint with a razor. Then you get the warrenty, it all adds up.

I’ve seen a job a buddy paid 2k for on a Model S, biggest waste of money, looked horrible. I’ve also seen a stealth wrapped Model X that the guy paid 6k for, looked incredible.

It is not something I will do but if I was going to do it for sure I would open the wallet otherwise just not worth the effort and expense.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Just chatted with Rivian CS....

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG
So TFL & other CS reps misspoke, but this CS rep is accurate/informed? Such is Rivian communications. Simply pitiful.

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

So TFL & other CS reps misspoke, but this CS rep is accurate/informed? Such is Rivian communications. Simply pitiful.
yeah I agree. They are never on the same page. I’m reaching out to my guide to see what he says. Just waiting on his response

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Lingerie is only $99 at Victoria's Secret, but it's the installer that makes all the difference.
If the PPF is the lingerie, and the R1T is the model, then I’d argue the installer is irrelevant. The person who gets to uninstall on the other hand…

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Smart business move thanks to the affluent customer base.

Rivian leadership sees a great revenue stream and will into the PPF market. The profit margins are excellent. Why lose revenue to aftermarket companies?

Also, I think Rivian missed the boat on rooftop tents. They should have offered a factory option for a hard shell RTT instead of the Yakima soft top that’s currently offered.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I can see why they are offering it, but I think I'd prefer to handle it aftermarket when I've seen the paint and corrected any issues before applying.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I can see why they are offering it, but I think I'd prefer to handle it aftermarket when I've seen the paint and corrected any issues before applying.
There have been a few videos talking about PPF and the *lack* of need to do paint correction unless there's something particularly bad. I think one of them was a Rivian Stories video with a detailer who said there's essentially no difference between PPF with or without paint correction. So you'd basically be wasting money to do rigorous paint correction if you were going to do fully PPF anyway.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
There have been a few videos talking about PPF and the *lack* of need to do paint correction unless there's something particularly bad. I think one of them was a Rivian Stories video with a detailer who said there's essentially no difference between PPF with or without paint correction. So you'd basically be wasting money to do rigorous paint correction if you were going to do fully PPF anyway.
No. not all paint jobs are equal. Some of the silver trucks had horrendous streaking. My truck had a couple spots that needed correction before any PPF.

RivianNowPlz

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, Tesla
As a pre-March 1st preorder holder the front end $1500 PPF application has become an obvious addition.

This allows the R1S to arrive and for me to drive it around for a few weeks until I can have an appt setup to have it ripped off and paint correction + quality full PPF installed. I love the idea of not worrying about rock chips for a few weeks for $1500 bucks. Heck yes.
Sponsored