Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Allroad, Ford Edge
Occupation
Risk Management
Clubs

Have had this issue for a couple days now. Got the truck delivered a couple weeks ago. In a nutshell, the truck says the tailgate is open (it isn’t) and all sensors around it have essentially be deactivated. I have tried a full reset, infotainment reset and sleep cycle. None have worked. Any other ideas? Service can’t get me in (Gaithersburg, MD) until October. Insane, and I really don’t want to do 3 months of travel with no working sensors.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T tailgate - sensor claims it’s open when shut IMG_7810

Rivian R1T R1S R1T tailgate - sensor claims it’s open when shut IMG_7811
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I assume you've already tried this... But have you tried opening the tailgate fully then slamming it shut pretty hard?

Sometimes mine latches on only one side and it is "closed" but the truck thinks it isn't. Slamming it works for me.

indy360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had the exact same problem day 2 after delivery (May '23). I had mobile service come replace one of the latches but it came back a week later. Now I'm waiting for service at the service center.

The problem is that one of the rear latches does not lock up and actuate so the tailgate is just being held up by one latch. I tried manually locking it with a screwdriver but it would not engage. It appears to be an electromagnetic latch and might be a wiring issue. When the problem first started the faulty latch made some noises when being unlocked but now it is completely silent.

Don't know how widespread this issue is but I'm hoping it gets fixed for good this time.

OP
OP
CPolism

CPolism

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Allroad, Ford Edge
Occupation
Risk Management
Clubs

I assume you've already tried this... But have you tried opening the tailgate fully then slamming it shut pretty hard?

Sometimes mine latches on only one side and it is "closed" but the truck thinks it isn't. Slamming it works for me.
Yep it worked the first couple times but now it doesn’t matter unfortunately.

OP
OP
CPolism

CPolism

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Allroad, Ford Edge
Occupation
Risk Management
Clubs

I had the exact same problem day 2 after delivery (May '23). I had mobile service come replace one of the latches but it came back a week later. Now I'm waiting for service at the service center.

The problem is that one of the rear latches does not lock up and actuate so the tailgate is just being held up by one latch. I tried manually locking it with a screwdriver but it would not engage. It appears to be an electromagnetic latch and might be a wiring issue. When the problem first started the faulty latch made some noises when being unlocked but now it is completely silent.

Don't know how widespread this issue is but I'm hoping it gets fixed for good this time.
Ugh well that’s a bummer to hear. So does this mean we can’t use Deiver+ or anything parking? I’ve got some road trips coming up and this is definitely terrible timing.

Sponsored

indy360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Driver+ seems to work for me but then I don't use it often. The parking cameras work so top view is still ok. I guess I don't even know what's normal anymore since the tailgate has only worked for no more than a week since I've own the truck.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Which side doesn't latch? For me it is the passenger side latch. Week 2 and have about 5 minor things. Hopefully the mobile visit I have for this Friday can take care of it all.

indy360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It's the passenger side for me too. My service center visit is in 2 weeks so I'll see what they find.

OP
OP
CPolism

CPolism

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Allroad, Ford Edge
Occupation
Risk Management
Clubs

It's the passenger side for me too. My service center visit is in 2 weeks so I'll see what they find.
Any update on this? Did they resolve the issue? If so, how did they do it? Also, is there a way to turn off the constant ‘tailgate open’ notification?

Iamwiz82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y, Model 3
I had this same issue and have a shop visit scheduled for later this month, however it hasn’t happened again since 2023.34 installed. I’ve used the tailgate multiple times without issue. Also the strange sound it was making on the passenger side (three mechanical clicks and whirs) when unlatching the tailgate no longer occurs. Finally the button to release the tailgate actually drops the tailgate now instead of just unlatching.

I’m not sure I am going to still take it in if it’s working…

Sponsored

valkyrie

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2014 Land Rover LR4, 2018 Tesla 3
Occupation
Engineer
Sadly this has recurred for me after using the tailgate yesterday to move some furniture around. It went away the first time after I installed an after market tonneau cover, and now nothing seems to work. More annoyingly, you can’t see the fault until after you press on the brake pedal and put it in drive to see if the problem persists. Guessing there was some software update that changed that behavior.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Sadly this has recurred for me after using the tailgate yesterday to move some furniture around. It went away the first time after I installed an after market tonneau cover, and now nothing seems to work. More annoyingly, you can’t see the fault until after you press on the brake pedal and put it in drive to see if the problem persists. Guessing there was some software update that changed that behavior.
There was batch of bad latches on the tailgate. I am still waiting for it to be fixed. For me it’s the passenger latch. Does not show up all the time. But if you are opening the gate you can hear it try to release multiple times after the gate is open.

DrewT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 RE1T Adventure Porsche , Cayenne Se Hybrid
Occupation
retired
Clubs

I am having the same issue with a malfunctioning latch on the passenger side , an open gate notification , buzzing noises when the tailgate opens( and sometimes it doesn't ) and surround sensors inactivated . Will book service .

Jrramsland

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Lawyer
Clubs

Really frustrating to be having this same issue. Had the truck for two weeks. There is a mobile tech in my city but they're going to make me drive to Cincinnati (2.5 hours) to get it fixed.

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Had this same issue on my truck - was fixed in December by Service replacing the latches - they did both though it was the passenger side causing the issue.
Sponsored