R1T Without Tonneau Option Delivered

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I just spoke with my guide today. I apparently had no cover selected because I wrongfully assumed the powered cover was included (I must have missed that it had changed during the March emails). Anyway, I have had a VIN assigned since Wednesday and my guide said it's in the final stages of production so they are apparently making them without the cover.
Good to know, and welcome to the forums. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Weā€™re not supposed to feel sorry for them are we? If they ordered that early that they already got a truck and were part of the price change/renig fiasco and DIDNT know they were supposed to go back in and reselect/confirm their options then i donā€™t know what to say. Too bad so sad??? Pay attention man.
This is a tough one. Because yes, they should have known. But, as Devil's advocate, nobody knew they were delivering trucks without tonneaus yet. So there should have been SOME communication that their truck didn't have a tonneau.

For me, the no tonneau thing is a great sign, as the manual cover simply slips into the grooves of the no tonneau option. Meaning they can hopefully ship the manual cover soon. For the folks that received a "no tonneau" without the intention of no tonneau, hopefully Rivian will at least give them the option of the manual when it comes out.

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I really like the powered cover. Mine has been working well but I am looking forward to the updated version. I like that the slots are still in there with no cover option though.

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7,A3, Macan GTS
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
Interesting thread. I do know this: If Rivian or any company come up with a non mechanized version of the "Tonneau cover" I am 100% going that route.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It is interesting to me that it still seems to have the emergency release button. This is not good, imoā€¦. Someone can easily drop your tailgate so basically the ā€˜lockā€ is useless.

Cgreenlaw78

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3
Occupation
VP client services
A new owner on Reddit has received an R1T without the tonneau option. This is the first Iā€™ve seen. You can see the different button in the image below.

Unfortunately, it seems like the owner did not realize they had to re-add the tonneau option after the price change and never intended to receive a truck without it.

7C583B89-746D-4B96-AB12-C199724DC9FB.jpeg
P

I took delivery Friday without a tonneau. Order placed aug 2021 and in Dfw area. Mine was the only one that day w/out a tonneau but thd tech said more were coming . I did also confirm these trucks will accept the manual version when it comes out in spring 23 and I did hear in 2023 they are making a version without the tonneau rails so youā€™ll either have one or never will :)

OP
OP
bd5400

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

It is interesting to me that it still seems to have the emergency release button. This is not good, imoā€¦. Someone can easily drop your tailgate so basically the ā€˜lockā€ is useless.
Maybe that's why they are making a version without the track for the tonneau? Without a track you can't add a cover and without a cover you don't need the emergency release button.

louisdeg

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Red Canyon/Forest Edge, 21ā€ wheels
Occupation
Home inspector
My tonneau still works, I like it now that I have it, it hasnā€™t leaked to the point where my pile of tools gets wet (yet). I lubricate it periodically with dry silicone spray. Once I can get a cap I might be interested in removing it to gain some space.

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Interesting thread. I do know this: If Rivian or any company come up with a non mechanized version of the "Tonneau cover" I am 100% going that route.
For sure.

Sponsored

broc

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm bummed about this. I was excited to get a Dec '22-Jan '23. Looks like I will be getting a truck with no tonneau. I had originally spec'd the manual cover since so many people were having issues with the powered version. I had assumed it was the same design as the powered but wouldn't have the motor issues. To find out that it is removable panels that you have to stow in the gear tunnel while the the compartment for the powered version sits empty and useless is silly. I've owned just about every type of tonneau cover available and nothing has been this archaic and inconvenient as this one sounds. Aftermarket will likely not have an option since this will be a small run of vehicles between factory installed options. Rivian just needs to give up on idea of motorizing the cover and the current design would probably work fine.

vetmann

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model YP, ZR1, Boxster, BMW
That is my hope - that anyone who ordered the manual version could just get it delivered later on. Also, if the manual version is simply 4 panels that slide into those slots, one could probably slide a panel or a sheet of plywood if one just needed a quick cover.

And yes, not being afraid that each time I use it might be the time it grinds to a halt is an added bonus!
I took delivery of my El cap/bk interior last Saturday. This truck is a blast to drive
Very smooth. I also fell asleep at the configuration switch and have no spare (couldnā€™t care less) and a manual tonneau with slate due to be shipped in February or March. I got the cargo bars when they reappeared in the gear shop 2 weeks ago.
Iā€™m using my tesla charger with the 1772 adapter with great results.
if I drive the truck I plug it in over night and itā€™s at 80% in the morning no worries about range. Iā€™m really happy with the truck

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I took delivery of my El cap/bk interior last Saturday. This truck is a blast to drive
Very smooth. I also fell asleep at the configuration switch and have no spare (couldnā€™t care less) and a manual tonneau with slate due to be shipped in February or March. I got the cargo bars when they reappeared in the gear shop 2 weeks ago.
Iā€™m using my tesla charger with the 1772 adapter with great results.
if I drive the truck I plug it in over night and itā€™s at 80% in the morning no worries about range. Iā€™m really happy with the truck
Thatā€™s amazing! Congrats. So they specifically told you the manual tonneau would be sent to you in Feb/ Mar?

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Thatā€™s amazing! Congrats. So they specifically told you the manual tonneau would be sent to you in Feb/ Mar?
Yea.. thatā€™s weird. What happened to end of 2022. Had a feeling something like this may happen as there are no prototypes in the wild.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yea.. thatā€™s weird. What happened to end of 2022. Had a feeling something like this may happen as there are no prototypes in the wild.
My guide, who works out of Normal, has never seen one but he said they have started to bring up the topic in meetings. He seemed to think it could be available rather quickly despite the lack of info so far.
Sponsored