Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

So, who is going to be the hero and do some extrapolation so we can compare the size of this vehicle to what is (or will be) its competitors? Someone who can do math and rendering (and knows RJ's height) should be able to do that...

Depending on its size, this could be entering into a (relatively) crowded field: Nissan Ariya, Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ioniq 5, EV-6, Model Y, Lyriq, Audi e-tron, etc. I would love for the R2 to be a replacement for my Ioniq 5 in 2, 3, 5 years.
Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

What sets rivian apart is the off-road capability. If they shed that then they have more competition. The r2 just needs some capable ability. More than a Subaru maybe approaching a base toureg 4x4 which had a transfer case. The full off-road toureg had locking diffs but still a unibody vehicle with an upper limit on where someone is going to take it.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
While I love my R1T, I would not have a problem with a smaller pickup. Especially if it is fast and can really scoot!
R1T is already small for a pickup. If you would go smaller, you probably don't have a real need for one.

Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
It's difficult to tell the vehicle length from the picture. Using RJ as a ruler, even if we had his height, would be tricky because he's standing away from the vehicle.

The best bet may be tire size as a ruler since it's in the same plane as the vehicle's side. I used a drawing program to warp the picture to the point that the front tire is the same size as the rear (to remove some perspective distortion) and did some measurements. Of course, we don't know the tire size either so I'm guessing a bit oversized which is what is typically used in these sort of mock-ups. Even when using the R1T 22", It seems short, around 180". I'd guess a bit longer to put it in XC60 territory.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
It's difficult to tell the vehicle length from the picture. Using RJ as a ruler, even if we had his height, would be tricky because he's standing away from the vehicle.

The best bet may be tire size as a ruler since it's in the same plane as the vehicle's side. I used a drawing program to warp the picture to the point that the front tire is the same size as the rear (to remove some perspective distortion) and did some measurements. Of course, we don't know the tire size either so I'm guessing a bit oversized which is what is typically used in these sort of mock-ups. Even when using the R1T 22", It seems short, around 180". I'd guess a bit longer to put it in XC60 territory.
I would expect smaller wheels on the R2. It should weigh less than the R1, so they'll probably use smaller brakes, which will allow smaller wheels. Ideal would be 18" as the smaller wheel with 20" as the largest option. Even 17" wheels aren't uncommon for SUVs.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I would expect smaller wheels on the R2. It should weigh less than the R1, so they'll probably use smaller brakes, which will allow smaller wheels. Ideal would be 18" as the smaller wheel with 20" as the largest option. Even 17" wheels aren't uncommon for SUVs.
Agreed. Production vs clay model. I originally assumed a 20" high perf tire on the clay model with 245 width tires, putting the diameter at < 30", but this results in a pretty short estimate for the size closer to 165", which I don't think makes sense.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Agreed. Production vs clay model. I originally assumed a 20" high perf tire on the clay model with 245 width tires, putting the diameter at < 30", but this results in a pretty short estimate for the size closer to 165", which I don't think makes sense.
I suspect there are just too many adjustments and estimates going on with this video to get a good measurement from this video. I would guess 180-185" length, putting it in the same size category as a Forester, RAV4 and CRV.

Random side note: Is it just me or is that front overhang is really short? I wonder if the charge port will be located somewhere else. Or maybe it's just the angle of the photo making the front side of the fender look shorter than it really is?

Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Random side note: Is it just me or is that front overhang is really short?
Yeah, when superimposing the wheel for measuring, I noticed how short this looked. Much like a Defender 90, which, BTW, is ~180" long.

Armando

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo, Tundra, MBZ GLE AMG 53, 66 Mustang Conv
Occupation
Winery owner
R2's would be great for stock prices. I love the rendering of the R2S! Front end looks much better!
But where is the R1X for the real enthusiasts?

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Or, do I hang on to see what the R2 series can do?
That's a lot of hanging on - roughly 3 years. There is no finalized design, or factory to build them in, so they are currently vaporware. If you are in no hurry, you can wait. Or you can look at other EVs that are coming out, and compare them to the R1 series.

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
That's a lot of hanging on - roughly 3 years. There is no finalized design, or factory to build them in, so they are currently vaporware. If you are in no hurry, you can wait. Or you can look at other EVs that are coming out, and compare them to the R1 series.
I'm caught in a tug of war between watching global warming play out and loving the 2002 Toyota Tacoma I currently drive.

Yes, I absolutely want an electric vehicle. I am convinced it is one of the important things we can do to reduce carbon emissions. But unfortunately/fortunately, I have what I consider my perfect vehicle. It's a small pickup with an extended cab and a canopy. The box is lined with protective goop.

For kayaking, the roof rack bars are wide enough apart to provide a good base for holding the kayak. And, at the end of the paddle, I just pitch all my salty, grungy gear into the box. The next day, I clean it up with a hose.

The same applies to skiing and hiking. Covered in snow or soaking wet? Chuck it in the box. Muddy? In the back!

And, of course, the Taco is four wheel drive with a bit of lift. So, it handles rough logging roads with ease and rams through piles of snow pushed up by snow plows.

And, if that's not enough, the truck looks good. Just yesterday, someone left a note on my window offering to buy it, if I wanted to sell!

I must admit, this past couple of weeks, the tug of war has been yanking at me rather hard. A small river near where I live in British Columbia has been spewing dead salmon. At the peak, someone estimated that 5,000 salmon died in one day.

The source of the problem is the prolonged drought we have experienced this year, and the continuing dry weather with little rain that we now have. The river level is so low salmon either can't get into the river or they enter and get trapped in pools, where they run out of oxygen.

I haven't been up to the river, but I have paddled in the ocean inlet leading to the river. I've never seen anything like it. There are dead fish everywhere. Not a pretty sight!

So, who knows, maybe I'll cave in one day soon and just buy something electric to get me through to a time when a company builds a vehicle that I actually want.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

If the"rivian"is not the vehicle you want then wait because it's a lot of money. Tacos are super reliable but then the universe did come and offer to buy it off you...
Sponsored