Sponsored

GTI_Mitchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 VW GTI
I’ve driven and loved a 6spd mk7 GTI for 6 years, that has been lifted on Alltrack suspension for the last 3.

Like everyone else I was shocked with the R3X reveal, and immediately intrigued by the styling and “rally-inspired” performance. But I was initially concerned it might be bigger than it appeared in the pictures, so I tempered my enthusiasm and did some sleuthing to find dimensions. Feel free to check my math.

Tire size on the show car is 255/55R19 (I zoomed in to mkbhd’s video). That’s a 30in diameter. RJ also said the wheelbase of R3 is 5in shorter than that of R2, which works out to 110.5in. Using the high res side view photo Rivian posted of R3X, I measured the width of the tire in pixels and from there could calculate the height and length. (I confirmed this by checking the wheelbase and was only 1.5% off the 110.5in value).

R3X length: ~161.4in

R3X height: ~59.5in.

Needless to say my enthusiasm is no longer tempered when I found out the R3X is only 1.7in taller and somehow 6.6in SHORTER than a mk7 GTI (the tiny overhangs I guess??).

Pretty sure this is my next car.
IMG_9122.jpeg
Sponsored

Newb26

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, BMW i3
Clubs

Like you and many others, I too was enamored with the R3X when I saw it. I'm so glad you did all these dimensions for me as I was interested in that. I couldn't see the tire size on any of the Rivian photos but didn't think of Youtube videos, even though I think I've watched them all now. I did see the R3 tire size in a Rivian photo and it's 235/55R20 which is a similar overall diameter so that makes sense. I think we'll have to wait a long time before one of these can be in our garages but I look forward to the day.

Lukeee

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWX3, 2series, clown shoe
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for doing this estimate guys. I’ve been trying to guesstimate the size of this vehicle. The R3X is honestly the first EV that has me ready to buy one.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Yea the street tire is a 20". The R2 has a 21"

R3wheel.png

Sponsored

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
I reserved an R2 spot, but the R3 would be much better daily for me. I day drove BMW i3's for 8 years and still miss the size of that. There's just no manufactures making sub compact luxury cars right now but as a city car its the best option. R3X seems like it may be the next closest i3 with nice materials and tiny size. I hope there is a luxury trim option when it comes time to order

i3 was 158.1" long, so R3 would be +3". Given its sharing the platform with R2, does that mean the width would be very similarly to R2?

Lukeee

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWX3, 2series, clown shoe
Occupation
Retired
I reserved an R2 spot, but the R3 would be much better daily for me. I day drove BMW i3's for 8 years and still miss the size of that. There's just no manufactures making sub compact luxury cars right now but as a city car its the best option. R3X seems like it may be the next closest i3 with nice materials and tiny size. I hope there is a luxury trim option when it comes time to order

i3 was 158.1" long, so R3 would be +3". Given its sharing the platform with R2, does that mean the width would be very similarly to R2?
IMO, from the videos, the tires seem to stick outside the fenders (which I don’t think will pass federalization in the US not most EU countries). I’m hoping that they add a wider fender flare to accommodate the wheels. I suspect that we will see some changes before the design is finalized.

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
I just want to say THANK YOU for posting this in inches. I don’t know if I was more surprised to see the R3 or Rivian speaking in metric tongue yesterday.

Last edited:

SF Dede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Have to say I like the style of the R3, R3X. If it comes in at just over 160” long that would be very interesting indeed.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Sponsored

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
Great work. Surprised it is shorter than a golf and wonder about second row legroom. I assume the long wheelbase helps here to make up for the reduced length. Hopefully it has more than the Volvo EX30 which is around 30” of rear legroom and that is too small for adults - you need 33” or more really.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I just want to say THANK YOU for posting this in inches. I don’t know if I was more surprised to see the R3 or Rivian speaking in metric tongue yesterday.
Maybe RJ wasn't allowed to say the word "Europe" so he compromised by saying "millimeters".

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

another 21" tire ... same pirelli on the R1 line?
Interestingly no. A Goodyear but who knows what will deliver in production.
R2wheel.png
Sponsored