Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Self Employed IT
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian 500hz Horn Upgrade -- Installed Pics & Video Sound Clip 1000021311
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian 500hz Horn Upgrade -- Installed Pics & Video Sound Clip 1000021370

Upgraded the Rivian horn today. Way better! Worth the effort. Made a little video detailing what I did if anyone else was looking to upgrade theirs.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

500 mhz? That's just a little outside of my range of hearing.

teak360

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Thanks for this, I used my horn today when the car in the next lane started drifting into my lane. It sounded lame. Really lame.
What horn did you buy? It sound good.

OP
OP
CTRedCanyon

CTRedCanyon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self Employed IT
Clubs

In case the video of the sound doesn't work for anyone else, here's a link

Horn sound test short clip

I bought this horn

HELLA 007424011 Red Trumpet High-Tone Horn with Bracket, 12 V, 500 Hz (Universal Fit) https://a.co/d/cKdtlLp

I think it's the right tone alongside the stock one Rivian left in. It basically replaces the one they removed to cut costs. Such a shame when they do these little things that probably save them only a couple of dollars, but are so annoying as owners.

Sponsored

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Upgraded the Rivian horn today. Way better! Worth the effort. Made a little video detailing what I did if anyone else was looking to upgrade theirs.
Thanks for documenting the process, but if I'm going to go through the trouble, it's going to be for a semi-truck horn or maybe even a train whistle. ;-) Surprised no one has posted one of those upgrades yet. ;-)

Iamuwere

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
So I just replaced both horns with a Hella horn 400 hz pair mounted to the front left fender liner.

I left the original horn in place, just disconnected.

To simplify the wiring to both horns, I used this premade y-harness that had the correct Deutsch connector to the original Rivian connector. I cut the two Deutch ends off back up a little ways so I can use them for a lighting project and then just put spade terminals on to match the horns. Simple and no wire splicing necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HQFVG92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

Kdblondie

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Office Manager
Clubs

Does anyone know of someplace in the Bay Area (SF or Peninsula) that would install the horn?

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
1000021311.jpg
1000021370.jpg

Sounds great! Seems much more appropriate for our vehicles

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
Nice sound! This horn is a semi truckers special; when you sound it, you will get your message across 😁

Sponsored

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

I don’t know… it sounds kind of weird… like there’s a time delay in one horn kicking in versus the other. You can tell it’s two…

Nuclianba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Pacifica hybrid
Nice, I did a horn upgrade as well (and also made a tragic portrait mode mistake in my video documenting it!) and its way better now. Easy too! Would highly recommend you find a place to actually mount it tho, understand its shoved in there and "wedged" but it will move, it may not fall out, but you don't want it bouncing around and rubbing etc, just generally not a great idea.

OP
OP
CTRedCanyon

CTRedCanyon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self Employed IT
Clubs

I don’t know… it sounds kind of weird… like there’s a time delay in one horn kicking in versus the other. You can tell it’s two…
You can tell it's two horns if I told you, maybe... there's two separate sounds playing at the same time because they are different frequencies (400hz and 500hz). But to anyone else I might actually honk at, they would have no idea. It gives exactly the "hey A*%!&hole" message I was intending when I pressed the horn lol

EV-by-the-Sea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Dual Motor Performance
So I just replaced both horns with a Hella horn 400 hz pair mounted to the front left fender liner.

I left the original horn in place, just disconnected.

To simplify the wiring to both horns, I used this premade y-harness that had the correct Deutsch connector to the original Rivian connector. I cut the two Deutch ends off back up a little ways so I can use them for a lighting project and then just put spade terminals on to match the horns. Simple and no wire splicing necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HQFVG92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
So, could one, in theory, use this harness you linked to connect to the OEM (Rivian) connector going to the OEM horn, then use one side of the split to connect back to the OEM horn, then use the other side of the split for an aftermarket horn (likely needing to cut the connector off and adapting to the aftermarket horn connection - i.e. spade terminals)?

Thanks!