Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Porsche 911 S, Audi Q5
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Clubs

In case the video of the sound doesn't work for anyone else, here's a link

Horn sound test short clip

I bought this horn

HELLA 007424011 Red Trumpet High-Tone Horn with Bracket, 12 V, 500 Hz (Universal Fit) https://a.co/d/cKdtlLp

I think it's the right tone alongside the stock one Rivian left in. It basically replaces the one they removed to cut costs. Such a shame when they do these little things that probably save them only a couple of dollars, but are so annoying as owners.
Great info, that's a little out of my pay grade but if there is anyone in Orange County that is going to do this and wants to help me reach out... The horn is very lame and some guy almost hit me last week cause he didn't hear my wimpy horn... LOL
Sponsored

PAR1S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Thank you for posting this! Gave me the confidence to pop the panels off and start my first upgrade.

for context, I wasnā€™t too concerned about the horn until I had to use it. I had a car pull out in front of me in traffic. Laid on the horn and was utterly disappointed. My daughter said it sounded like a sick seagull. šŸ˜…šŸ˜…

I purchased the dual Hella 400 & 500hz mentioned above and the dual connector.

Hereā€™s my before:

and after:

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the video!! Added the Hella 500hz horn this weekend. Bolted the horn to the 8mm bolt that secures the wheel liner and extends into the frunk area. Spliced thr power wire into the green positive wire from the oem horn. Then ran the ground wire to bolt on the chassis. Pretty easy overall.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian 500hz Horn Upgrade -- Installed Pics & Video Sound Clip 20240106_112609

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian 500hz Horn Upgrade -- Installed Pics & Video Sound Clip 20240106_112619

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian 500hz Horn Upgrade -- Installed Pics & Video Sound Clip 20240106_112626

HaloEyes

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VolvoXC90 Recharge,SubiOutbackWilder,TeslaMYperf
Occupation
Surgeon
1000021311.jpg
1000021370.jpg

Upgraded the Rivian horn today. Way better! Worth the effort. Made a little video detailing what I did if anyone else was looking to upgrade theirs.

Make sure you listen to WHICH SIDE YOUR HORN IS ON!
My R1S has itā€™s horn on the OPPOSITE side, as it is located on the passenger side and very difficult to access after removing the frunk.
However, I discovered a MUCH EASIER access, without removing the frunk. You can turn the wheels to the left and easily remove the front bolts from the front passenger wheel well cover (6) and access this new location!
Iā€™ve uploaded photos of the wheel well and the OEM horn visible once the plastic is held back.
I forgot to take an after picture, but looked very nice as I ended up using the 500Hz Hella horn spliced parallel with the existing horn and used silicone in the connectors. There is also a bolt just above the OEM horn pictured in the photo that you can attach the new horn to. Together they are much louder and have a nice tone.
Hope this helps some of you with a passenger side horn.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian 500hz Horn Upgrade -- Installed Pics & Video Sound Clip IMG_5123

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian 500hz Horn Upgrade -- Installed Pics & Video Sound Clip IMG_5124

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian 500hz Horn Upgrade -- Installed Pics & Video Sound Clip IMG_5122

Last edited:
OP
OP
CTRedCanyon

CTRedCanyon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Self Employed IT
Clubs

Make sure you listen to WHICH SIDE YOUR HORN IS ON!
My R1S has itā€™s horn on the OPPOSITE side, as it is located on the passenger side and very difficult to access after removing the frunk.
However, I discovered a MUCH EASIER access, without removing the frunk. You can turn the wheels to the left and easily remove the front bolts from the front passenger wheel well cover (6) and access this new location!
Iā€™ve uploaded photos of the wheel well and the OEM horn visible once the plastic is held back.
I forgot to take an after picture, but looked very nice as I ended up using the 500Hz Hella horn spliced parallel with the existing horn and used silicone in the connectors. There is also a bolt just above the OEM horn pictured in the photo that you can attach the new horn to. Together they are much louder and have a nice tone.
Hope this helps some of you with a passenger side horn.

View attachment 81203

IMG_5123.jpeg

IMG_5124.jpeg
Thanks for the tip - which side did you go in by the wheel, the drivers side? I have a February 2023 quad motor build so it may be different than some of the more recent ones, or possibly different motor layouts, I'm not sure.

Sponsored

HaloEyes

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Surgeon
Thanks for the tip - which side did you go in by the wheel, the drivers side? I have a February 2023 quad motor build so it may be different than some of the more recent ones, or possibly different motor layouts, I'm not sure.
Passenger side.
If you have someone else press the horn you can easily tell which side itā€™s on. Iā€™m unsure when they changed it and if the vehicles with a driverā€™s side horn could be accessed in the same way, but I would think itā€™s worth a try.
My R1S is a quad and was made in early November 2023.
BTW: Thanks for posting the video and pictures.

Last edited:

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
It really needs dual (high & low tone) horns to make it sound like other vehicles of it's size.

kong

First Name
Rajiv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sales
So for passenger side horns, is it feasible to remove the stock horn and replace it with a dual-tone horn. No splicing etc.? I would assume so.

PAR1S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So for passenger side horns, is it feasible to remove the stock horn and replace it with a dual-tone horn. No splicing etc.? I would assume so.
I removed my OEM hella horn in the drivers front and replaced it with the 400hz hella. Other than adjusting the bracket to the right orientation, it fit exactly into the spot the OEM horn had taken. The 500hz horn I mounted to a frame member nearby , underneath the drivers headlight.

I used the pigtail adapter mentioned in @CTcanyonred ā€˜s OP to connect the two horns into the original hornā€™s plug

kong

First Name
Rajiv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sales
@HaloEyes would you know if the Deutch connector to the passenger side horn is accessible through the wheel well? Iā€™m trying to avoid splicing the wire and use a Deutch splitter instead.

Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
@HaloEyes would you know if the Deutch connector to the passenger side horn is accessible through the wheel well? Iā€™m trying to avoid splicing the wire and use a Deutch splitter instead.
I'm taking delivery of my R1S either end of this week or early next week, and adding a 500hz Hella horn will be done same day. I've already received the horn itself and the Deutsch Y splitter linked above. I'll be happy to take photos and provide steps as needed.

Last edited:

HaloEyes

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Surgeon
Definitely. You can see it in one of the photos. It has the green and black wire running to it.
Great idea to get a more sealed set up. I disconnected it and let it hang down a bit to access the wire more easily, but if you did all the work with a new connector outside, unplugging and plugging it in would be simple.

kong

First Name
Rajiv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sales
Definitely. You can see it in one of the photos. It has the green and black wire running to it.
Great idea to get a more sealed set up. I disconnected it and let it hang down a bit to access the wire more easily, but if you did all the work with a new connector outside, unplugging and plugging it in would be simple.
super helpful, thank you!

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
@SPITmadFIRE much appreciated, thank you!
Took delivery yesterday -- haven't pulled off the wheel well liner yet, but the honk is coming very clearly from the passenger side. Will take plenty of pictures and figure out the plug situation definitively either tomorrow or Tuesday.
Sponsored