Not open for further replies.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Tesla announces new automakers getting access to Superchargers soon | Electrek

Tesla updated its website with a new page about NACS enabling “Charging for All” and it lists 4 automakers getting onboarded this spring:

Coming Spring 2024
  • Rivian
  • General Motors
  • Volvo
  • Polestar

Looks like Rivian is next for Supercharger access along with GM, Volvo, and Polestar.

Anyone want to speculate on what the charge curve will look like on a Supercharger?
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The charge curve is determined by the vehicle, not the charger, so, it should look pretty familiar...
:cool:
Not if the adapters are current/voltage limited.

OP
OP
sacramentoelectric

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

The charge curve is determined by the vehicle, not the charger, so, it should look pretty familiar...
:cool:
Sadly, that's only half the equation. The vehicle determines the curve within the output of the charger. If Tesla limits voltage or amperage for non-Tesla vehicles as it has with the Magic Dock, our vehicles may not charge as quickly on a Supercharger as they do on a RAN charger.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Wonder what our truck will get first, the new powered tonneau cover or access to the Tesla SUC network.

also curious to know how Tesla will make it clear which of their stations are open for non teslas and which are not (they are keeping the busiest stations Tesla-only sounds like)

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Sadly, that's only half the equation. The vehicle determines the curve within the output of the charger. If Tesla limits voltage or amperage for non-Tesla vehicles as it has with the Magic Dock, our vehicles may not charge as quickly on a Supercharger as they do on a RAN charger.
You are pointing out the difference between "peak output" of a charger and the "charging curve" of the vehicle.
:cool: 👍

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Wonder what our truck will get first, the new powered tonneau cover or access to the Tesla SUC network.

also curious to know how Tesla will make it clear which of their stations are open for non teslas and which are not (they are keeping the busiest stations Tesla-only sounds like)
Filter only "Superchargers open to NACS" here
https://www.tesla.com/findus

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
I've charged up at a magic dock a few times. The charge curve was amazing. It ramped up to the peak charging speed in short order.

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

If i had to guess, Tesla alreadfy has some sort of API that the manufacturer's Navs point to that tell them which chargers they can use vs the other ones

OP
OP
sacramentoelectric

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

You are pointing out the difference between "peak output" of a charger and the "charging curve" of the vehicle.
:cool: 👍
As an EE, I know I'm not telling you something you don't know. But many people see peak output and think that tells them how fast their car will charge. We both know it doesn't. Rivian will have tested their vehicles on the V3 Supercharger and will have programmed a curve for that specific hardware. I'm curious how conservative they will be. I'm hopeful that even though the V3 probably won't peak anywhere near what a RAN charger can because of the lower voltage, the R1 will pull the max rate for longer and the overall charge time won't be much different. That's why I asked about curve rather than peak rate.

Sponsored

Joseph D

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
GIS Analyst
Clubs

The adapters are rated for 350 Amps, however that terminology is the same as the v3 Superchargers are also rated for 350 Amps. In reality the cables and the adapter have temp sensors and will boost much higher as long as the temp allows for it. Tesla unlocked the amp limitation on magic dock stations adapters to allow for 500+ amp as long as temps stay in check.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Filter only "Superchargers open to NACS" here
https://www.tesla.com/findus
Thanks! Sounds like vehicle nav will be aware of the compatible locations. My idle musings were more for the case that someone in a non-Tesla wonders into a Tesla-only SUC without checking nav. Hoping Tesla provides clear signage.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Thanks! Sounds like vehicle nav will be aware of the compatible locations. My idle musings were more for the case that someone in a non-Tesla wonders into a Tesla-only SUC without checking nav. Hoping Tesla provides clear signage.
Yeah that's still totally an issue. If you see a supercharging station from afar you won't be able to guess if you can charge there or not. I can't wait for the first post about their Rivian not working with the adapters here.

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
Just more speculation, I'm afraid. The existence of a list on a webpage does not imply any sort of order or preference. For all we know they listed them in order they were announced, and it has no bearing on who goes next.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Again; the difference is the peak delivery of the charger(or adapter) vs. the "charge curve" of the vehicle.

The rate a battery can receive a charge is unaffected by the delivery device. This rate, combined with temperature are the two main factors in the "charge curve" of the vehicle.

Now, sure, we can get into some discussion on the affect of jumping into the curve at a lower amperage (dropping the heat/time portion of the equation). Is that why we are talking about the "curve"? Otherwise, I think we may be talking about peak delivery of the charger. In that case, we do have information coming in from the Magic Docks.
👍
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.