First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

rcv_full_bleed_hero_ztrevg.jpg

I wonder how many drivers mistake the SOS button for Start Or Stop.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I don't think there is a big enough battery to overcome the aerodynamics need for 300 miles. What is the mi/kwh for the Amazon van traveling 70mph?
Your crushing our collective dreams.

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

So why don't I see the pricing anywhere? How much is it going to cost? Is Rivian still losing money on these as well? I bet they do.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Shnork

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan rouge , Subaru Legacy
Occupation
pA
Good news that the exclusivity is over

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
From what I recall, Rivian has a whole separate line in IL to build these things. I hope they take off as it's another way to profitability, and I see WAY more of these things being sold than the Tesla Semi.

If Rivian can get a larger battery, I also hope someone like airstream gets into a deal to convert these to motorhomes. If they can get enough range to move these from on RAN charger to another, I think they'd sell a lot of them.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
So why don't I see the pricing anywhere? How much is it going to cost? Is Rivian still losing money on these as well? I bet they do.
The Amazon contract is cost plus so in reality they never really lost money on those.

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

The Amazon contract is cost plus so in reality they never really lost money on those.
When people talk about "losing money per vehicle" they're mostly just taking total losses divided by total vehicles sold. The unit economics or whatever of the trucks/vans doesn't come into it.

Excited to see more of these around, the Amazon deal was a good guaranteed outlet for vans and losing them as a guaranteed customer (which I think also happens when exclusivity drops?) will need to be offset by a lot of smaller fleet sales.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
When people talk about "losing money per vehicle" they're mostly just taking total losses divided by total vehicles sold. The unit economics or whatever of the trucks/vans doesn't come into it.

Excited to see more of these around, the Amazon deal was a good guaranteed outlet for vans and losing them as a guaranteed customer (which I think also happens when exclusivity drops?) will need to be offset by a lot of smaller fleet sales.
They did not lose the Amazon number ordered they just escalated the end of the exclusive portion of the contract. Amazon has stated they still want the 100k units.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Rivian was NEVER losing money on the EDV as their contract with Amazon is cost plus. So whatever it costs them to make plus a fixed amount or percentage margin. You cannot lose money on that deal.

Also they did release pricing on these vans and the price is about where I thought they would be.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things

The rest of the Amazon contract is enforced currently. So Amazon is still going to buy the vans. What the issue was is Rivian assumed Amazon would buy the vans as fast as they made them up to the 100k but that Rivian had 10 years on their end to make that many.

Amazon assumed they would purchase 10k a year for the 10 years to equal the 100k. So Rivian is making more than that and they want a place to sell the additional ones. I'm sure the contract revision guarantees Amazon the first 10k EDVs each year.

Rivifan

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Infiniti QX60
Occupation
IT Solution Architect
Clubs

Funny electrek completely missed the trade customers in its reporting, this would be a great van for trades like plumbers, electricians, etc…
I thought the exact same thing. I also wonder how soon people will start decking them out as camper vans, like the dodge sprinter. Alex Honnold had said he fully expects to live in one one day. (Or perhaps he was pandering to the audience, that was during the partnership announcement that spent batteries are powering homes with his charity foundation...)
Either way, I sure hope you're right, hope to see some tradesmen in them on the road soon!

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I thought the exact same thing. I also wonder how soon people will start decking them out as camper vans, like the dodge sprinter. Alex Honnold had said he fully expects to live in one one day. (Or perhaps he was pandering to the audience, that was during the partnership announcement that spent batteries are powering homes with his charity foundation...)
Either way, I sure hope you're right, hope to see some tradesmen in them on the road soon!
I think Alex lives in a van now, or at least did at one point. Its probably accurate not pandering. If he makes it long enough with all the free soloing he does. There aren't a whole lot of old free solo climbers.
Sponsored